What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Re: What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Post by zmd » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:14 am

three incidents
one, my brand newly aquired poly 800 with reverse keys that my friend had stored in a hard case for years...shiny and new looking. i plug it in, plug in headphones and am ready to play...i turn around in my chair, and the headphone cables are under the chair wheels...the board flips over in the air and crashes down on the chair wheel (same wheel in fact!) and the key shatters like crystal :(

my trusty yamaha djx...sitting in the back of an suv, my drummer opens the tailgate, and the board launches forth like it was spring loaded...it lands on its end cheek, and barely a scratch! wtf??

finallly, my cs01...well, we had a crowd of punks who were beer spitters on our scene for a while, they would shower us with beer when they liked us...ugh :( one nite, one of em sprays it directly onto my cs01...the freq cutoff slider has not worked right since :( i guess that'll teach me to play keytar style!
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:39 am

Monkey business since 2007!

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:24 am

TrondC wrote:I once trusted the woman working at my post office that my CR-68 didn't need the additional shipping protection I suggested. it goes without saying it arrived badly damaged (circuit board broken in half I think?)

#-o
Haha. Well, the PSU got loose and tried to eat one of the PCBs.

One time I tried to feed my relatively new macbook with a glass of coke. Bad idea.

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:10 am

I had one of those A-frame KMD aluminum stands that you had to constantly hand tighten to keep the tier from falling forward/back. We played a gig the night before, the day after I'm putting my rig back together at our rehearsal space... I thought I tightened the thing enough, I put my Oberheim 8 on the stand and all is well. I come back the next day and my synth had fallen back on the floor putting a huge dent on the chassis from the power sink being pushed in and bending the output which I had plugged in. Needless to say I took that stand and broke it into a million pieces. I bought one of the new Ultimate Support Deltex stands shortly after and NEVER had a keyboard fall again.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:49 am

Sexor wrote:Oops!
:lol:

crazy swedes.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:38 am

D-Collector wrote:
Sexor wrote:Oops!
:lol:

crazy swedes.
My worst nightmare! Poor guy...
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:36 am

Heineken + PolySix = Dumpster

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:43 am

A friend of mine and I were moving into an apartment, and on one trip we loaded my Baldwin organ onto the bed of has truck. He insisted on standing it up instead of laying it on its back. And was it tied down? Of course not. So we drove off, and eventually came to a fairly tight curve. I was about to tell him we should pull over, when it flipped over the side and landed on the double yellow line... luckily without hitting any cars. The guy that happened to be driving behind us must have been nearly shitting himself, though.

Luckily, it was something that I'd picked up at a pawn shop for only $50, and I wasn't too attached to it. And when we finally got it to the apartment, I reattached the power cord, and the damn thing worked like nothing happened. The wood frame was shot to h**l, though.
You can't synthesize love

man-009
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Man-009

Post by man-009 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:54 pm

the stupidest accident i had with my gear was leaving my studio door unlocked. my wife saw all my gear after not being in it for over two years and saw all my synths and cables. BUSTED!!!!!!!! she was very mad at my spending $$$$$$$$$.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:19 pm

man-009 wrote:the stupidest accident i had with my gear was leaving my studio door unlocked. my wife saw all my gear after not being in it for over two years and saw all my synths and cables. BUSTED!!!!!!!! she was very mad at my spending $$$$$$$$$.
If she was so shocked, what did she think you were doing in there in the first place?

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:23 pm

I'm generally very careful with my gear but I've had a couple of nasty accidents:

I'd came home for the weekend a few years ago when I was staying in Edinburgh for university and had just settled back into my room only to find that my Polysix wasn't on the top tier of my keyboard stand. It took me a good few seconds to realise that by some miraculous feat the Polysix had fallen BACKWARDS from the fourth tier and had landed face down behind the stand.

I panicked. I had no idea how this was even possible considering the Polysix was angled at a slant, so it should have taken a fair bit of force to flip it in the opposite direction. Thankfully the resulting damage to the Polysix wasn't as bad as I'd suspected - a sizeable dent in the metal panel where the output jack is, a dislodging of 3 or 4 small chunks of end piece "wood" and it went out of tune. I'm just lucky it didn't land on my mixer! I fired it up to find everything was in order, aside from the keyboard tracking.

With a calibration, and later a trip to the chop shop to have the dent and patch memory issue taken care of it's almost in the same condition as it was before the ordeal. For this I am grateful.

The second accident isn't as serious and is much more straightforward. I knocked my bass guitar over and one of the machine heads landed on my X-Station and left a mark in the plastic.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:32 pm

As a post script to my story, L&M only charged me $130 in the end and offered me a free rental - so they did try to compensate, but the issue of no face to face intraction with a repair technician still exists. Still after 4 months, I'm happy to report that my customed repaired MC 505 works great.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Dividedbyzero

Post by Dividedbyzero » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:15 pm

I once knocked over a cup of coffee and it poured into my JP-8080 and I saw it dying before my eyes. I unplugged it immediately and turned it upside down to let the liquid drain out. For some reason when I turned it upside down I damaged a couple of the knobs and made them a bit wobbly.

Having let the JP-8080 dry out for a couple of hours I plugged it in and it worked just fine. It seems I did more damage turning it upside down than the liquid did. #-o

I once had a shelf collapse and dump its contents onto a Roland D-10. The D-10 was killed but that gave me an excuse to buy something better (not difficult) as a replacement. These things happen for a reason sometimes.

Electroluver
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MS-20, M-500, Polysix, PAiA 4700, ROL309, C64 MSSIAH, JX8P, K2000J, SY-1010.
Band: DJ NAMELESS

Post by Electroluver » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:06 pm

Once, I placed a 606 on the top of my car. The roof of the car was at quite and angle and the 606 slid off and landed on the ground. It never worked again. My 202 got lonely and was subsequently sold.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:34 am

Mine would probably be taking one of my rack units out and not realizing how close it was to the other. Basically it messed up the other racks brand name that was printed on the back. I usually take care of my stuff. Luckily haven't had anything really bad happen to mess up my gear.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse