What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Plumpudding
Band: Dwarfland

Re: What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Post by Plumpudding » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:47 pm

This ain't with a synth, but because I was to cheap to by straplocks to my guitarstrap, my half-acoustic guitar (Rayhorn O-seven, rare sixties guitar designed in Norway, made in Italy), fell off during a spasm-solo, causing the jack-input cracking into the guitar. Used about an hour just to fish it out of the guitar, and about to days to make an aluminum-cover to make it look good again.
A bassist I borrowed a bass from did something really bad though. He got pissed at a guy in the crowd and hurled the bass in his face. Exept for minor (yeah right) cosmetical damage, the bass worked just fine for the rest of the gig.
Last edited by Plumpudding on Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Music is the space between the notes." - Jean Claude Van Damme

Instantinopel

Dark Side of My Mother - Slate Rock Up and Well Caustic Compound

Otoroko Heavy Industries
Band: Wolf424/The Republic of Desire

Post by Otoroko Heavy Industries » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:09 pm

If guitar related accidents are ok, at the end of supremely shitty gig threw the guitar behind me. Turns out there was big block of concrete on the stage, took a chunk of wood off the neck & body, and a fret came loose. Nice crack marks on the body/neck connection too (set neck).

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:08 pm

I should add the time during a gig my bassist was beat-boxing through a vocoder and decided to swing the mic over his head.. the mic detached from the XLR connection, flew through the air, and knocked a beer bottle off of another band's marshall stack. It was pretty impressive actually, and somehow no beer hit the amp.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:43 pm

Hmm lets see, i've had quite a few...

at a gig I was doing i tripped over the mic cable and ended up kicking the mic stand off the stage, and the stand broke, the sound guy was PISSED and turned my vocals down

at another gig I had been using my microwave XTk live, even after one of my good friends told me something bad was going to happen to it and that it was too rare to take out. Made it through the gig fine, got home, took it out of its case and laid it on the floor. as I was doing so one of my keyboard stands miraculously fell over and hit the XTk and bent the octave encoder for oscillator 1. needless to say I was less than amused, I felt like it was bad karma for gigging with it in the first place.

When I saw ladytron mira knocked her ms20 off the stand and into the security pit, it was dead after that. Daniel got super pissed and introduced the next song by saying "this next song is an old one, its called please be careful" hahaha
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:18 am

I was talking to someone with one of those old school cordless phones in my studio years back. I was doing the shoulder/phone/ear thing when it jumped out and hit my Jupiter 6. It broke off the Key tracking and envelope amt sliders. I was able to put them back on but they weren't quite the same after that.
An "almost" accident: I was playing at a battle of the bands and a friend volunteered to carry my OB8 with flight case!!! There were mud puddles in the parking lot from recent rain, he trips, he goes down, case w/synth goes down, everything gets muddy. I get the keyboard set up and it works fine, my friend was dirty and the site of him flipping in the dirt was PRICELESS. The lesson? Pay for good cases. See my previous post to see how my OB8 got it's come uppance .
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:42 pm

when i let a drunk a*s carry my gear at the only show we did for his band . he dropped my vintage morley wah, my boss super over drive , and before the show his driver dropped my amp head. what a nigth!!

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:32 pm

Told this one every time this thread pops up, but I hit a bouncer with an XP10. XP10 was fine.
Ruined plenty of guitars, but not on accident.
Most impressive, but not synth related; I bit a chick's MP3 player (samsung?) in half in one bite. Chipped a few teeth and ended up buying her a new one.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

ats
Gear: Korg DSS-1
Behringer Model D x2
Kurzweil K2000R
Roland Juno 60
Roland XV3080
Roland MKS-70
DSI Prophet Rev2
Yamaha TX802
Ensoniq VFX
Technics WSA1

Post by ats » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:39 pm

Stupidest thing i ever did was in a rush i mistakenly grabbed a LPT port Zip drive thinking it was my 25 pin Scsi version and plugged it into the Scsi port on my Kurzweil K2500X and fried the SCSI circuit on the motherboard, amazingly the rest of the synth still worked.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:43 pm

ats wrote:fried the SCSI circuit on the motherboard, amazingly the rest of the synth still worked.
Most likely you blew a fuse and if you replace it, the SCSI port will come back to life.

Also: holy resurrection batman!

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:13 pm

While attempting to replace the backlight in my Wavestation display, I took the zebra striped connectors for rubber gaskets and cut them like presunto with an x-acto knife. Oh well, that´s what happens when you don´t do enough research. It was for the better, as the new LED-backlit display is definitely an upgrade.
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:38 pm

And I took the power adaptor cable of a guitar pedal for the PSU cable of the laptop. The connectors are identical, but the laptops center positive.
Herrare umanum est.

ats
Gear: Korg DSS-1
Behringer Model D x2
Kurzweil K2000R
Roland Juno 60
Roland XV3080
Roland MKS-70
DSI Prophet Rev2
Yamaha TX802
Ensoniq VFX
Technics WSA1

Post by ats » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:04 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:
ats wrote:fried the SCSI circuit on the motherboard, amazingly the rest of the synth still worked.
Most likely you blew a fuse and if you replace it, the SCSI port will come back to life.

Also: holy resurrection batman!
I wish it was that simple, It actually fried some of the SMD components and ruined some of the traces around them on the PCB. When i saw the smoke coming from the back of the unit and the display went temporally blank i knew i really screwed up :) I don't have it any longer the guy i sold it to didn't mind the scsi not working.