What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Re: What is the stupidest accident you've had with you gear?

Postby stikygum » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:34 am

Mine would probably be taking one of my rack units out and not realizing how close it was to the other. Basically it messed up the other racks brand name that was printed on the back. I usually take care of my stuff. Luckily haven't had anything really bad happen to mess up my gear.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse
stikygum

Postby ryryoftokyo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:39 pm

I left my AN1x out one night with two young rats that have access to the couch...they took a nice bite out of the sync/fm button. :(
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman
ryryoftokyo

Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Postby rap and country » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:48 pm

just last night:

most of my stuff is put away because i'm about to move, but i have one keyboard stand set up beside my computer on which i put a flat part from a bookshelf to support an esx and xiosynth 25. i was awakened at about 6 this morning by the sound of the xio hitting the floor, then the suspect (fluffy white persian) jumped up on the bed for rubs. i didn't look at it until i got up but two key holder pieces snapped off as well as one whole corner of the plastic case. going to try to fix it with crazy glue.
rap and country

Postby D-Collector » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:33 pm

ryryoftokyo wrote:I left my AN1x out one night with two young rats that have access to the couch...they took a nice bite out of the sync/fm button. :(

They ate the knob ? wow..

rap and country wrote:just last night:

most of my stuff is put away because i'm about to move, but i have one keyboard stand set up beside my computer on which i put a flat part from a bookshelf to support an esx and xiosynth 25. i was awakened at about 6 this morning by the sound of the xio hitting the floor, then the suspect (fluffy white persian) jumped up on the bed for rubs. i didn't look at it until i got up but two key holder pieces snapped off as well as one whole corner of the plastic case. going to try to fix it with crazy glue.

That's sad but at least it wasn't your own fault. Hope you can fix it.
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Phollop Willing PA » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:24 am

That reminds me of the time I was trying to teach my cat how to play my Theremin. I put the cat on the box and one whoosh of sound, that cat was out of there, but not before kicking over the Theremin in her escape. I had to fix the metal panel which got bent by the plug.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18
Phollop Willing PA

Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Postby ryryoftokyo » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 am

D-Collector wrote:
ryryoftokyo wrote:I left my AN1x out one night with two young rats that have access to the couch...they took a nice bite out of the sync/fm button. :(

They ate the knob ? wow..

no no...there are these soft rubber buttons that bring you to the mode...that's what they took a bite out of. But, I can still make out the sync part...the FM is a little chopped.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman
ryryoftokyo

Postby D-Collector » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:

That reminds me of the time I was trying to teach my cat how to play my Theremin. I put the cat on the box and one whoosh of sound, that cat was out of there, but not before kicking over the Theremin in her escape. I had to fix the metal panel which got bent by the plug.

You try to be nice to these animals, and this is how they repay you...

ryryoftokyo wrote:no no...there are these soft rubber buttons that bring you to the mode...that's what they took a bite out of. But, I can still make out the sync part...the FM is a little chopped.

Sorry, I read button but somehow my brain turned it into knob... Short circuit. :lol:
D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby garranimal » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 am

I too put a chip in backwards - on my Memorymoog. It's not funny to see a resistor trying to burn a hole through a voice card. Luckily the chip turned out to be bad anyway. I got out of that one pretty cheap and extremely lucky! Yeah, resistors can be stinky dudes.
garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby th0mas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:04 pm

while making my x0xb0x I accidentally soldered 1 switch onto the wrong side of the board.. nothing a solder sucker couldn't fix but man did I feel stupid.

andddd.. my stupidest ever was plugging the wrong adapter into my blofeld for a split second. Now headphone out doesn't work. f**k. Although I might just fix it when I have to take it apart to fix the already mass-failing encoders. Too bad it's my favourite synth evar.
th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Postby Otoroko Heavy Industries » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:47 pm

Circuit bending with wallwart plugged in, fried the synth.
Otoroko Heavy Industries

Band: Wolf424/The Republic of Desire

Postby Shanesaw » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:58 pm

Never had any major accidents but I'll mention a potential accident waiting to happen. I have an IKEA desk with a glass top that serves as my studio desk - See where that's going...
At a family party, one of the kids, who is slightly retarded, pushed in the tweeter dome of one of my monitors. Luckily it popped back out on its own! As you can imagine, I get pretty nervous about kids around my gear, they're always supervised.
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)
Shanesaw

Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Postby ryryoftokyo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Shanesaw wrote:Never had any major accidents but I'll mention a potential accident waiting to happen. I have an IKEA desk with a glass top that serves as my studio desk - See where that's going...
At a family party, one of the kids, who is slightly retarded, pushed in the tweeter dome of one of my monitors. Luckily it popped back out on its own! As you can imagine, I get pretty nervous about kids around my gear, they're always supervised.

Oh f**k....amen to that...whenever my 3 year old nephew gets around my studio my blood pressure soars!
ryryoftokyo

Postby Steve Jones » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:14 am

I dropped my ARP sequencer onto the top of my CS-80 once, it left a couple of dings in the '80.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.
Steve Jones

Postby cornutt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:51 am

th0mas wrote:while making my x0xb0x I accidentally soldered 1 switch onto the wrong side of the board.. nothing a solder sucker couldn't fix but man did I feel stupid.

A place I worked at when I was an intern was doing some low-volume board manufacturing. At one point they were building a run of a board that was absolutely loaded with tantalum caps. Well, they had one dumbass assembler that didn't pay any attention to polarity when stuffing these, and about half of them wound up reversed. You should have seen the explosion the first time one of these was powered up! :shock:
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!
cornutt

Gear: 6th

Postby Operatron » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:28 pm

I fried my first 3 day old casio VLTone with a wrong transformer from the cash converters
Operatron

PreviousNext

Return to General Synthesizers