Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
veer chasm

Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by veer chasm » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:50 pm

Some guidelines:
Has to be first person, can't be something you read somewhere. Quote yourself or someone else.

Here's mine:
Context... I am 12 and it's the early 80's, I am fascinated by synths but have none. I am trapped in the desert of California where Guitar Center and the internet are too far and out of reach and non-existent. My sister's friend is going to Europe where I've read all the New Wave music is coming from. So I tell her,
"when you go there, if you see a Roland, buy it for me."

That's either real cute or really stupid. I chose the latter. Would've been awesome if she had come back with a Jupiter 8.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

retrosounds

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by retrosounds » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:31 pm

"American synths suck"-My friend before hearing my ESQ-1.
"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"

devetron

Post by devetron » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:26 pm

"How did they get the bass (meaning bass guitar) to sound like that?" -- myself as a young bass player after listening to an 80s song featuring synth bass. I was CLUELESS about synths until about 2003.
synths

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:29 pm

not about synths but about me after a live act with synths:

Wow man! you are at Sasha's level.....

dumbass
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Lophophora

Post by Lophophora » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:05 pm

This will probably be boring, but:

"Why do you need so many?"

rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DSS-1
Moog Mini
Fizmo

Post by rhino » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 pm

tried playing with a local 'Hillbilly Gosple' group. they liked my acoustic 'pi-anner' style, but when we did a mournful number about 'daddy a-layin' in the grave' or such, i leaned over and pulled up a soft string pad on my SQ-80.
The banjo player wispered: "What's that high whinin' sound?"
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:03 am

The term "MIDI" got so badly burned into the general public's psyche during the 80s that I've encountered, more than once, people who know absolutely NOTHING about synths but still ask if my synths "have MIDI" (ususally said like it's a virus or disease). Not stupid, just annoying. Every one of these folks didn't realize MIDI was an acronym, when I would explain what it was their eyes would typically gloss over and cross :)
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:56 am

Met countless people in rock bands saying stuff like "Tape those midi jacks up, s**t's embaressing"

Also, people talking to me about 'midi' sounds
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:20 am

"Hey, where can I get a free WAV to MIDI converter?"
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:29 am

I always thought it was dumb when rock bands in the 70's and 80's would put big disclaimers in their LP's:

"No Synthesizers Were Used."
Too futurist to live.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:46 am

You mean like Queen's News Of The World?

I recall reading from Brian May that Queen never had an "anti-synth" stance (certainly their last decade featured tons of synthesizer), but rather they put that statement in the liner notes so as to establish bona fides that all the "out there" sounds came from guitar manipulation and outboard effects. I can't speak to any other acts or albums. I do agree with you though that the lack of synths on an album is hardly something to be particularly proud of. Now if they said "No accordians were used"..... well, that's a different matter.

I think I already posted this in another thread, but I used to have a room mate that referred to synthesizers as "all that piano s**t you listen to", clearly oblivious to the difference between acoustic and electronic instruments. He had rubbish musical tastes too. d**k.

gd

Post by gd » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:09 am

I remember mid '70s some lounge lizard who knew the promoter coming up to my rig during a soundcheck and telling me that something is wrong with that little organ 'cause it ain't playin' cords and screaches somethin awful. I just said that would have to send it back to Moog to fix - in reference to my miniD.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:15 am

(this was 20 years ago): I was showing a couple of friends a song I had created on the ESQ-1 using its onboard sequencer and my HR-16. They liked it, but one friend smirked (and wasn't trying to be sarcastic), "Well, you're using the 'lazy man's' way of doing things." I asked him to clarify what meant by that and he remarked that because I had sequenced a few tracks and then played along on the ESQ-1 while the sequencer was running that I was somehow cheating. To him, it was cheating unless all parts were being played simultaneously. There's really nothing you can say when faced with such a stupid comment.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:28 am

Mine was in reference to a Boston record, but I do remember that in News Of The World. Queen are definitely the exception and are free to do/say whatever they want. :)
Too futurist to live.

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:00 am

I remember the Human League (of ALL people) putting a statement like that on Crash:
"no sequencers were used on this record (paraphrased)" .
I guess in their defense they were trying to separate themselves from all the copy cats that came in their wake. Hey, didn't I just go against my thread guideline? Oh well.

Here's another one I just remembered: Battle of the bands, it's 1989, my rig is a Roland D50 and a Jupiter 6. Being the "cool" anti-corporate guy at the time I had spray painted off the Roland emblem from the back of my Jupiter a few years before but left the Roland insignia on the D50. Never having to look at the BACK of my keys is vital to this story. Anyhow, we're doing soundcheck/levels and the sound guy is yelling, "turn the Roland up". So I turn up the one I think he's talking about, "No, turn the ROLAND up MORE." I do it again. With emphasis he goes "Turn the Roland up!" Finally I reply, "They are both Rolands." I didn't realize until a minute later that all he could see was the Roland on the back of the one synth. I could have given him the benefit of the doubt, but why didn't he say "turn the non marked generic keyboard down."???? It was then I realized that most sound guys don't know jack about synths, all they understand is put-a-mic-in-front-of-grill.