Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Gianni

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Gianni » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:11 am

2 days ago: "Hey Gianni, listen to this... Is this a guitar, a bass or a piano?" Apparently, none. It was an Evolver.

And endless stories of "Why would you buy another one?", "Piano = Organ = Synthesizer" and "What's synthesis?"

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:38 am

ive heard this one a few times:

"synths arent REAL instruments"
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:53 am

People's perception of real would be severely dashed if they saw how much computer and outboard processing went into their "real" guitars and drums. The double standards are endless: people eww and ahh over a guys 40 guitars but can only wonder why someone would need 5,10, or 20 different keyboards. I play guitar and keys, the more the better. I just can't understand why people romanticize "good 'ol boy rock" but dismiss synths since they are relatively new to the party. I'd like to hear from board members outside of the USA on this because I think it's an American redneck phenomena.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Post by factual35 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:32 am

"Midi sounds like s**t"

My ex-girlfriend's boyfriend.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:56 am

veer chasm wrote:It was then I realized that most sound guys don't know jack about synths, all they understand is put-a-mic-in-front-of-grill.
You're generalising about all live engineers because of one experience 20 years ago at a Battle of the Bands? Because he couldn't tell what brand a synth you'd painted the logo over on was? :lol:

I've met some engineers that were more comfortable with a guitars/bass/drums lineup, but most engineers I've worked with actually know quite a lot about synths. The guy who we get to mix my band at all our local shows owns heaps of synths and has written articles for Keyboard magazine. Synths are basically just a sound source (oscillators) running into a whole lot of effects (filter/s, amplitude modulator, etc) so they make sense to engineers who are used to thinking about sound in that way.

- a sound engineer

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:00 am

"Midi sounds like s**t"

My ex-girlfriend's boyfriend.

In my mind's play you punch him and say, " consider yourself THRU ."

and to Sound Engineer, I apologize for generalizing. If I'm not incorrect I think I said most sound guys in MY EXPERIENCE, not your experience. If your experience has been great more power to you. If mine get better I will rescind my opinion :)
Last edited by veer chasm on Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:05 am

Hi all. I've been a long time lurker at this forum but this thread finally enticed me enough me to join.

I've heard a lot of dumb, silly, cute (from the chicks), and flat out bizarre comments in my time but there's a few that have always stuck in my mind.

One long time friend who's always considered himself somewhat of an authority of all rock and metal music once walked into my studio just after I had bought my MS2000. He looked it and said, "Wow! You have an audio mixer with a keyboard attached to it! Do you use the keys to control the volume or something...?"

Another comment that comes to mind is from an old guitar player friend of mine whom I hadn't seen in a few years. He paid me a visit one day because he was interested in starting a new band. After playing a few songs in my studio I asked him what he thought of the sound. He said, "I like it, but can you make your keyboards not sound so good?"

My all time favorite has to be from a girlfriend I had back in '89 whom I was helping record some weird new-agey poetry/music tapes she was trying to sell. I had accompanied her vocals with some standard generic DX-7 string sounds. After listening to the tracks we decided it needed a little more bass, so I played some low growly notes on my Minimoog. After listening to it through the PA (the only monitors I had at the time) she looked at me and said, "I think I'm in love..."

Nice to meet y'all.
And then she said, "What the f...?"

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:10 am

Thanks for jumping in Primal Drive. I've never been accused of having keyboards sound "too good". I wish !

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:05 am

"can't you just use VSTs?"

yeah, right...

salwa

Post by salwa » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:36 am

Two immortal phrases: "synths have no soul, man" and "digital synths sound cold". As from my own experience about sound engineers - in my band we use two sets of keyboards: Roland Juno 106 (as a synth) and Korg Poly 800 (as a controler hooked to Akai S2000). It's sometimes beyond imagination of certain sound engineers that our keyboard player hits the keys of Korg, but the actual notes come from this white box standing near keystand... "Wait, this upper keyboard is not connected yet to the mixer!"
Casio CZ-1, Elektronika EM-25, Yamaha TX81Z, Roland JV-2080, Novation KS-rack, Korg Poly 800, Casio SK-1, Casio SK-8, Vermona E-piano, Akai S2000, Roland SP 404, Roland TR 505, Yamaha MR 10, Yamaha RX 5 and more
https://www.facebook.com/DOMmusicpl

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:46 am

Come one, we all know someone who thinks that these things just play themselves...that you just hit a button and it makes music for you.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Instrument Panel

Post by Instrument Panel » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:57 am

"No, of course it hasn't been discontinued. I heard they're working on a new software update right now, to correct all the bugs we've been compaining about for the last 3 years."

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:48 pm

At a party at my former flat a stereotypical metal-guy drunkenly asked to see my gear when the conversation went that way. His first reaction was "dude, are you rich or something?", refering to the mK, ESX and ER-1. that's just after he told me he spent 1200 USD on a guitar the other day. Then he asked me to play some of my music, and I told him I could, but it takes a while to set everything up as I was rearranging everything, and all cables and PSU's were disconnected, and his answer was "yeah that's so typical of you tehcno-people, too embarassed to show your music that you have to make up and excuse like that". So I decided to set up the Mk and ESX, as I was working on a new track. I hit play and he was like "dude, all you do is play the keyboard every once in a while, that's not 'real'.." he kept asking me to do some synth shreds on the mK, to which I said "i'm not trained or anything, I use the keyboard for simpler melodies", and he just laughed and said "that's a loosers answer". and just when I thought he was out of silly remarks, he suddely screamed out in his most shocked voice: "FLANGER!! THAT'S THE STUPIDEST EFFECT IN THE WHOLE WORLD!! WHY DON'T YOU JUST USE DISTORTION TO MAKE IT SOUND LIKE A GUITAR INSTEAD? OR EVEN BETTER, SELL THIS c**p AND GET SOME REAL GEAR!!!", to which I asked what gear that would be: "JUST GET A f**k GUITAR MAN, WHO WANTS TO HEAR A f**k SYNTH ANYWAY"
He passed out on the sofa later, with his ehad next to the speakers of the cd-player, so I put on "Man Machine" on repeat until he woke up, vomited in the kitchen and then left. I also poured some dead beer in his lovely hair and some on his pants, you know where.

Also, during my live gig in march, a man from the audience walked up to me and started making conversation, all while I was playing, and asked me "is that Boards of Canada you're playing? can you play some aphex twin later?" not realizing that the Monomachine, ESX, Acidlab and KP3 was not a DJ-setup. What mad me smile nevertheless was the fact he thought my music was BoC :)

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Instrument Panel wrote:"No, of course it hasn't been discontinued. I heard they're working on a new software update right now, to correct all the bugs we've been compaining about for the last 3 years."
"well, we don't have that synth you're asking about (Monomachine), but I bet this one can do anything the monomachine can (pointing to the Motif/Triton/Workstation-wall)

oh, and my poor mother asked me "how did you get hold of a trumpet?", referring to the preset Saw-wave sample in my ESX. I guess anyone not into music at all would make that assumption tho :p

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:07 pm

You: "I play experimental music".

Me: "What's your musical experiment?"

You: ??????
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18