Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by cornutt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:45 pm

minime123 wrote: "synths arent REAL instruments"
What used to get me were the folkies who would say, "That's not a natural instrument! It's man-made!" To which I'd reply something like: "Oh, and I suppose your saxaphone grew on the saxaphone tree?" They used to piss me off, but then I'd remember that these were the same people who booed Bob Dylan for playing electric guitar.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:48 pm

BoxPhenom wrote:I think most people have a very low attention span and/or a limited interest in things that fall out of what they like or know.

The world of synthesizers is far too complex for average citizens to understand or care about.
Unfortunately people tend to put down those things.
It happened several times that people who entered my room, after seeing my synths, rack, drummachines...
then asked: "Do you make music?"
That's a pretty dumb question when looking at a room full of keyboards (four, after all).
I mean, what do they think why all those instruments are standing there anyway, for the looks?

People who are not in synths (in my case some friends and my mom) also doesn't understand why i always want another keyboard or other gear. They say: "But you've got so many already!"
How will you make them understand that they're not all the same, that every instrument has its own characteristics and that it is important to have some choices.
I remember a track from Aphex Twin where he used a sample of his mother saying:
"You've got so many machines, Richard!" :)

HH

Post by HH » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 pm

my favourite one:

about 3 synth standing on a 3-tier stand: "is this a ONE synthesizer?"

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:00 pm

Solderman wrote:
After I modded my TR606, I showed it to my brother in law, while carefully pointing out all the things I added. His first comment: "Why doesn't it sound like real drums?"
hahah, yeah that's never going to stop... I showed off some spacey drums with my ER-1, to which people said "cool, but does it make real drum sounds?" and I said no, it's not meant to sound like real drums, and it was only $100, what can you expect? and for $100, it seems non-musicians expect something akin to Vangelis' entire studio

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:05 pm

i don't know if this counts as it's not about a synth directly but whatever.

i had taken my microkorg into school to record some material in the studio there, the other students there in the music department seemed to like it, because it looked small and cute, but didn't sound it. there was this on chick there, an ugly as drummer, who asked what all the funny green and white words we're for, i told her "it's for programming it, on synthesizers you make the sounds rather than just play them" oversimplifying everything for her, to which she replied "so you understand all this"

"yes"

"you're stupid"

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:03 am

About two years ago I was out garage sale-ing, my sister happened to be with me. My sister and this loud obnoxios guy who happened to be browsing through some of the things at the other end of the yard make eye contact....Turns out my sister knows the guy and they went to school together back in the day yadda yadda.
Somehow the subject of music comes up and my sister introduces me to this loud fellow, "my brother makes his own music too", I can recall being said as I walk towards the guy. "oh really!?!" he says in a very snide way.
He asks me what I use and I run down the list of gear. The guy boasts back "well I use fruity loops...its the best, theirs nothing better!"
Okay :lol: I mean I have no problem with people using fruity loops, but this guys attitude was just so shitty and condescending...and obviously he was taking himself way to seriously for some reason. And that was it!!
He turned his back on me and didnt even bother saying goodbye to either me or my sister. I think I may of angered him somehow for being a hardware user :mrgreen:
WEIRD

I cant keep track of how many times Ive heard synths and samplers dissed by old school rockers with long hair and bad attitudes :lol:
Last edited by Dj Pound on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:36 am

TrondC wrote: hahah, yeah that's never going to stop... I showed off some spacey drums with my ER-1, to which people said "cool, but does it make real drum sounds?" and I said no, it's not meant to sound like real drums, and it was only $100, what can you expect? and for $100, it seems non-musicians expect something akin to Vangelis' entire studio
How about musicians not familiar with synths? How often do we see guys here and(more often) on Harmony Central who want something that does 16 different things like they heard on a recording and costs 125 bucks? Too often.

There was a clip on YouTube that was of a news report on Yellow Magic Orchestra's 1979 appearance in New York. The reporter refered to Hideki Matsutake's Moog IIIc as a computer.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:40 am

After a gig some chick complemented me on my "keyboarding". Uhhh.. this is not grade 10 computer class so f**k off.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:16 am

th0mas wrote:After a gig some chick complemented me on my "keyboarding". Uhhh.. this is not grade 10 computer class so f**k off.
Dude, she was probably just tryna get in your pants and you blew it. #-o

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:52 am

I know!

I mean, this guy asked me what I used to make my music and I told him GarageBand and he was all like "dude, you ain't no musician." What a douchebag. It's like he thinks you have to write your OWN music to make music.
Douchebag.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am

After getting my Moog Rogue, a conversation with my guitarist went something like this:

Him: Dude, what is that thing?
Me: It's a Moog.
Him: What the h**l is a Moog?
Me: A synthesizer.
Him (pissed): Goddammit! Why'd you waste your money on that thing? Why couldn't you just get a Triton? It does everything. :roll:

To his credit, he's since wisened up quite a bit since then.
You can't synthesize love

Belaya

Post by Belaya » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:54 pm

He passed out on the sofa later, with his ehad next to the speakers of the cd-player, so I put on "Man Machine" on repeat until he woke up, vomited in the kitchen and then left.
:lol:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:11 pm

"Ha ha, look at that clunky thing. Those huge knobs are ridiculous. Look how small the keyboard is! You can only play ONE NOTE AT A TIME? Who would WANT this? There aren't even any presets, and you can't save a sound. My Juno 106 blows this away."

-Marc Doty, looking at a used Micromoog in a music store, 1985
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Whats with all the idiotic metal heads knocking synths? Aren't there plenty of metal bands that integrate synths into their sound? I mean even that loon Varg Vikernes composed dark ambient with synths while he was imprisoned for murder.

Criticizing electronic musicians who have little to no technical ability is akin to insulting anyone who composes music period. I mean if break out a blank notation page and start jotting down notes for a horn section despite my inability to play trumpet does that make me some sort of poser? I'm pretty sure most baroque, classical, romantic, modern and contemporary composers weren't able to play every instrument that makes up an orchestra.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:19 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
th0mas wrote:After a gig some chick complemented me on my "keyboarding". Uhhh.. this is not grade 10 computer class so f**k off.
Dude, she was probably just tryna get in your pants and you blew it. #-o
She was, but I'm happily in a relationship so I get to respond to pickup attempts with a ranking on "how did your attempt go" and move on.