Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chrisrnps

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by chrisrnps » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:55 pm

pflosi wrote:what's wrong with that? except maybe the price?
Definitely the price. Definitely.

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:59 am

I love it when people post synths with super high prices like that makes me laugh and I can imagine them getting hate mails. I saw a Six-Trak for 900$ on Kijiji, I always wonder what their thought process is, eBay x2 maybe?

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:17 am

I hope I don't go to h**l for this one:

"I AM PRAYING FOR GOD TO RESTORE MY SOUND FOR MY RS 7000"

:evil:
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:39 pm

I'm a big fan of this Karate Kid proverb:
Mr. Miyagi wrote:Daniel-san, must talk. Walk on road, hm? Walk left side, safe. Walk right side, safe. Walk middle, sooner or later, get squish just like grape. Here, karate, same thing. Either you karate do "yes" or karate do "no." You karate do "guess so," squish! Just like grape.
My version: If you don't know the first thing about synths, that's OK. If you know your way around synths, that's cool. If you just guess to avoid being perceived as a know-nothing, (which you won't, because it's not expected of you,) you're an idiot. This is knowledge that's as old as dirt.

So I'm at a friend's house for a BBQ, and I play her one of my tracks from the iPod on her stereo. Cue this douchebag asking me: "What's this c**p?"
Me: "This 'c**p' is a demo I recorded at home."
Douche: "Oh, with a Tyros, right?"
Me: "Nope, using a Moog, an Ensoniq ESQ-1 and Battery 3 running LinnDrum samples." (Actually, it was samples from an LM-1, but as we established, he can't tell them apart.)

Seriously? Tyros? With all due respect - a Tyros?!
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:23 pm

"Yamaha enemy of synthsis"
:mrgreen:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:11 am

:lol:

solitud
Gear: Ghosts and Ghouls

Post by solitud » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:09 am

Employee in a local musicstore who tries to convince a potential customer that the Microkorg is one of the few synths who has the van Halen Sound synthesis also known as the Roland Supersaw.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:23 am

solitud wrote:Employee in a local musicstore who tries to convince a potential customer that the Microkorg is one of the few synths who has the van Halen Sound synthesis also known as the Roland Supersaw.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AWESOME! did you spit some theoretical coffee and correct the prick?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:35 pm

:-k :^o
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

Virgule

Post by Virgule » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:22 am

:)
Last edited by Virgule on Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:06 am

tekkentool wrote:
solitud wrote:Employee in a local musicstore who tries to convince a potential customer that the Microkorg is one of the few synths who has the van Halen Sound synthesis also known as the Roland Supersaw.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA! AWESOME! did you spit some theoretical coffee and correct the prick?

LMFAO!!!

Never surprises me how most (not all) music store employees will lie and exaggerate their asses off just to make that extra commision.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

solitud
Gear: Ghosts and Ghouls

Post by solitud » Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:24 am

tekkentool wrote:
No I didn`t. I was speechless, because I talked to the selling guy in a former situation where he left a rather competent impression. I can only explain it that he is "selective" competent, talking bullshit only to people where he knows they don`t have a clue. Or perhaps he simply didn`t liked the customer. Anyway I was shocked and thought about how many times I was bullshitted in times I was a synthnoob ...

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:26 pm

"Clavia nords are good synths."

Yeah I went there....

Many artists seem to use them as controllers.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:04 pm

insane.. I've heard a lot of c**p from employees too, like how the Mc-808 supposedly was live a V-synth without the sampler. eh.. I didn't even say anything back at that..
Oh, and when I asked if the Kaossilator had programmable drums, he said "sure", went on to demo, and apparently, his impression of the word "programmable" was that the drum presets changed as he moved his finger. I said, no, I mean can you sequence drums and then apply the effect from dragging your finger over, and the guy just laughed "this is not good enough for you?"

and not synth, but music store employes in general, the guy refused to take out a boss pedal when I said I didn't play guitar and wanted to hear how it sounded with synths "it's a guitar pedal!".. yeah, cause the inputs clairly say "warning! do not insert sounds from any other source than a guitar here, since synths are so gay while guitars are the phallic symbol of life" or whatever.

oh, and f**k it, I have one more that is not so stupid really, but a case for discussion: there is another store selling instruments around here, and they have had their EMX in the wondow since it came out. the price is highly ridiculous (I think it was $1200 new), and as years went by it dropped down to around $600. I tell them I've noticed the thing standing there for ages, and offer to buy it for $450, which is about what I'd have to pay on eBay including shiping and fees, and they say no, sorry, We can't sell it for less than $600, that's what they paid for it. But seriously, they have already lost $600 in buying a piece of kit they can't sell, I can almost guarantee it won't be sold.. I keep coming back with the same offer, but they utterly refure to give any discount because they could lose money.. I don't get it.. other places realize when their stuff doesn't sell, that's when they have huge clearouts just to minimize the loss in the first place...

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:01 pm

what I meant with the :^o is that maybe the guy instead being stupid he was trying to grab you from the hair with that phrase full of synth cliches that at the end doesn't mean anything.... :lol: it sounded like a bad lie.