Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Raiven
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Syn303 wrote:
Raiven wrote:That is the thread topic, no?
No, your way off topic, your discussing something else totally - refer to synth shootout threads instead. That is where Exhibit A vs Exhibit B belongs. This is about dumb things people have said about synths, not a digital vs analogue war.
I didn't make it a digital vs. analog war and I expressed the topic.

I guess nobody here is reading anything. To many people getting touchy and having their feelings hurt.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:00 pm

well, it's kinda provocative to come here and tell that the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths is that "analogs are better than digital ones". where is AG when we need him? ;)

besides, i'm not sure whether you've really ever touched an analog synth?

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:23 pm

pflosi wrote:well, it's kinda provocative to come here and tell that the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths is that "analogs are better than digital ones". where is AG when we need him? ;)

LOL! Well son, I've been kicking it in the industry since 1996. I've gone through more synths than you'll likely every see.

That statement IS one of the dumbest I've ever heard and I already explained my stance on that. More insecure VSE people with their feelings hurt.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:42 pm

well i'm glad i could get you a laugh. hope that made your day.

so, wow, since 96. that's great cause all classic analogs were made in the late 90ies.

feelings hurt or not, i don't see your argument. i only see a strange opinion, as others have stated before.

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:00 pm

I wasn't arguing until some folks here wanted to turn my statement into a debate.

You have your preferences in instruments and that's great, but neither is better than the other. I said that earlier but people only seem to see and read what they want.

Still didn't catch those past posts huh?

VSE never going to change. Post count says it all

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:14 pm

whatever. have fun with the legacy collection

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 pm

pflosi wrote:whatever. have fun with the legacy collection
I am. The MS-20 has the most beautiful software filters I have ever come across and the Polysix is House Music. Don't use the Wavestation. I prefer the Blofeld and its' unique PPG filter.

:D

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:50 pm

pflosi wrote:well, it's kinda provocative to come here and tell that the dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths is that "analogs are better than digital ones". where is AG when we need him? ;)

Ha ha, I heard myself summoned! Where am I needed?

"Analog synths are better than digital synths" is only a dumb thing to say when it lacks qualification or quantification. Obviously, each has its merit and use.
While everyone assumes I'll make that statement, I won't, and never do. My statement is always along the lines of "analog synths are better at sounding like analog synths than any other sort."
That being said, I think that saying that it's dumb to say analog synths are better than digital synths isn't the least dumb of statements. Irrespective of subjective factors, it's a statement that can be supported with certain conditions. The opposite can be, as well. It's only a dumb statement when people can't defend it with any degree of objectivity.

It's as dumb to say one thing is better than all else as it is to say nothing is better than anything else... they're the same silly extremes. While taste and subjective factors play a role, there are also such things as objective factors (such as how well a synth does a specific thing in comparision to other synths, how well a synth functions and sounds in a specific application, etc.).

It's also dumb to condemn a vast generalization while making the opposite vast generalization. :wink:

Then again, the title of this thread basically implies that the dumb statement in question is dumb because you believe it to be, so I guess it's also dumb to argue with anyone's statement regarding a dumb statement. ha ha ha
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:23 pm

Raiven wrote:...You have your preferences in instruments and that's great, but neither is better than the other. I said that earlier but people only seem to see and read what they want.
And did you read my earlier post?, I said exactly that and yet you say no-one hears what you're saying.

All I'm reading from you is rubbish arguments and twisted logic :roll:

Raiven

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:34 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
Raiven wrote:...You have your preferences in instruments and that's great, but neither is better than the other. I said that earlier but people only seem to see and read what they want.
And did you read my earlier post?, I said exactly that and yet you say no-one hears what you're saying.

All I'm reading from you is rubbish arguments and twisted logic :roll:
All I told you was that there was no misinterpretation on my part. I didn't star an argument. Just made a statement in relation to the thread topic. Rubbish arguments and Twisted Logic?

VSE. My post count says it all.

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:39 pm

Could somebody please get this thread on-topic again!
I'm tired of these guys who absolutely have to be right...
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:10 pm

+1 on the whole "Why do you need so many different keyboards? Don't they all do the same thing?" comment.

After 3 years, my GF finally understands the difference between my synths, but almost EVERY stranger who walks into my studio says the same thing!
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Have I mentioned the guitar player who swore that my Korg DDD-1 could not keep a steady beat?

We were recording with it and he got off-beat several times and then blamed the drum machine. He said it slows down and speeds up at random.

Synthazaiser
Gear: B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606

Post by Synthazaiser » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:23 am

A drummer accused my Alesis MMT-8 and my Poly-800 Sequencer of not keeping steady beats / timing. I guess the Poly-800 might drift, but the MMT-8 is perfect.
Currently have: Baby Grand Piano, B3, CP-30, DX7, Casiotone MT-210, Axxe 1, EPS-1, Promars, MC-202, TR-606
Used to have: POLY-800, TR-505, Techstar TS-306, DX7, ESI-32, Juno-106, DX27, Synthcart, JX-3P, ESQ-M, Mono/Poly, MS2000BR, VX90

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:12 am

Cumulus wrote:Have I mentioned the guitar player who swore that my Korg DDD-1 could not keep a steady beat?

We were recording with it and he got off-beat several times and then blamed the drum machine. He said it slows down and speeds up at random.
I know what he means though, a lot of the time when I'm playing to a click I want to speed up and slow down certain bits, just by a tiny amount, so the feel of the track is better. It'd be great if there was a drum machine that knew when it should push the beat a little bit like a good drummer does.