Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by code green » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:18 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Cumulus wrote:Have I mentioned the guitar player who swore that my Korg DDD-1 could not keep a steady beat?

We were recording with it and he got off-beat several times and then blamed the drum machine. He said it slows down and speeds up at random.
I know what he means though, a lot of the time when I'm playing to a click I want to speed up and slow down certain bits, just by a tiny amount, so the feel of the track is better. It'd be great if there was a drum machine that knew when it should push the beat a little bit like a good drummer does.
foot pedal to bpm?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:34 am

I think it would work pretty well is it was just a sustain pedal that when you stepped on it it'd ramp up the bpm in a natural way, but if you had an expression pedal hooked up to bpm it'd be really hard to get it exactly right at a crucial time like that. I don't know of any drum machines that do this either.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:02 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Cumulus wrote:Have I mentioned the guitar player who swore that my Korg DDD-1 could not keep a steady beat?

We were recording with it and he got off-beat several times and then blamed the drum machine. He said it slows down and speeds up at random.
I know what he means though, a lot of the time when I'm playing to a click I want to speed up and slow down certain bits, just by a tiny amount, so the feel of the track is better. It'd be great if there was a drum machine that knew when it should push the beat a little bit like a good drummer does.
Not in this case. He swore that the machien was slowing down and/or speeding up.

I asked him if I should alter the tempo of the thing at some point and he said no, he just wanted a rock-steady beat and the stupid drum machien wasn't able to provide it.

Now, I can see the value of having a machine that would do that. In fact, I have always wanted to try to make a sensor that would alter the beat like a tap tempo feature. I would put this sensor in a foot pedal or on a drum set if there is a live drummer.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:54 am

Not sure if this counts, but: Myself, after picking up Candyass by Orgy. "Why don't they list the keyboard player in the liner notes?" Obviously, I had no idea what a guitar synth was at the time. :?

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 am

Co-worker: So what you do for hobbies?
Me: I make music. Sometimes play D&D.
Co-worker: Oh really? like what you play?
Me:guitar off and on, but mostly synthesizers now.
Co-worker: So you don't play any real instruments other then guitar?

Same conversation some time later....after talking a bit about git-tawrz

Me: I enjoy using synthesizers too.
Co-worker: What do they synthesize?
Me: Sounds.
Another Co-worker: Whats a syn'sizer do agee-in?
Me: It makes sounds when you press keys.
Co-worker: Why not call it a piano?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

"ah' hayt teksusTay-hawss."
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:12 am

Cumulus wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:

Not in this case. He swore that the machien was slowing down and/or speeding up.

I asked him if I should alter the tempo of the thing at some point and he said no, he just wanted a rock-steady beat and the stupid drum machien wasn't able to provide it.

Now, I can see the value of having a machine that would do that. In fact, I have always wanted to try to make a sensor that would alter the beat like a tap tempo feature. I would put this sensor in a foot pedal or on a drum set if there is a live drummer.
Lol like the mk's unalterable swing timer XD.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:31 pm

I met a guy before christmas who was playing Jarre's Oxygene 4 on a piano. So I asked him about it and it turned out that he used to play synthesizer.
Me: So what synths do you use?
He: Mostly softsynths...
Me: Oh, I prefer hardware synths, I believe they simply sounds better of some reason. Especially analog synths.
He: I have one analog synth too, an original Juno.
Me: what model?
He: It's a Juno-D, it can do some great Vox-pianos that sounds better than any software...

I told him it weren't analog, but it didn't seemed like it reached his brain, cause he continued talking about his analog Juno-D.
Maybe it's a limited edition Juno-D that nobody else have heard about :P
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

organsymphony
Gear: an assortment of various friction idiophones
Band: Parrot Fashion

Post by organsymphony » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:17 pm

someone (very talented pianist and saxophonist) trying to play a chord on a moog prodigy.

me: "uggh.... it doesnt play chords.."
T: "what?! whats the point in that?!"
me: "don't you play saxophone... thats monophonic"
T: "thats different"
me: "how?!"

so on so on

+1 on the "but you've allready got a keybaord, don't they all do the same thing?"

zukskywalker

Post by zukskywalker » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:35 pm

Heh, heh, heh.....
From the bass player: "I bet your keyboard can't hit a lower note than my bass"
Heh, heh, heh....
My "synth" at the time was a Hammond console. Destroyed that notion with one single drawbar.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:53 pm

BlackGnosis wrote:Co-worker: What do they synthesize?
Your answer to this should have been "Do you know what 'synthesize' means?"
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:56 am

zukskywalker wrote:Heh, heh, heh.....
From the bass player: "I bet your keyboard can't hit a lower note than my bass"
Heh, heh, heh....
My "synth" at the time was a Hammond console. Destroyed that notion with one single drawbar.
You should have showed him the brown note!

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:16 am

I have a relative that NEVER SHUTS THE f**k UP. Seriously, I've never heard so much BS come out of a single person's mouth other than this guy. And on top of it all he swears that everything he says is 100% true.

Anyway, last week at a "friendly" poker game he started telling everybody about, "What a great keyboard player I am," and "Did you know my cousin (me) has been playing synthesizers since he was 2 years old?" Then he did something I hate even more than his non stop jabbering. He started nudging me and telling me to back him up.

So I did. I told everyone "He's right. I've been playing since I was two. The first synthesizer I owned was an old Roland Jupiter 2, which was made around 1956. It came with an extensive mod function that could be set to rocker (you older guys might get that one), and it had 2 UFOs, Under Frequency Oscillators. By the way, the UFOs are used to get those scifi space ship sounds. It also had 4 filter types; one low pass filter, one band saw filter, one comb filter (selectable between fine and wide tooth) and one bristle filter. It was also duo-triphonic. That meant that you could play 3 notes with one hand and 3 notes with the other. The sad thing was that if you tried to play 5 notes with one hand it wouldn't make a sound, but then, that's how all synths were back in the day..."

I've known the guys we were playing cards with for years and they knew I was BSing. One said something like, "Didn't it also come with 4 motorized wheels to move it around because it weighed like around 650 Lbs?"

My cousin (whose from out of town) didn't have a clue that we were all talking s**t. Smiling from ear to ear he butts in with, "See? I told you he knows everything about that stuff. He even built his first Moog when he was in high school..."

We all got a laugh out of that last one. Thankfully the conversation went on to something else.

Now, before anyone starts to feel sorry for the guy, trust me, he's a total con-man (not very bright, but a con-man nonetheless). If he can't talk you out of something he'll find a way to steal it. That's why he's never set foot inside my studio.

Oh yeah, and I won a total $283.00. Not bad for a $1.00 ante "friendly" game. :D
And then she said, "What the f...?"

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:45 am

Another one: I bought an M1 back in November. I was telling a coworker of mine, who listens to all sorts of dance music, New Wave Revival, etc.., about it. She then asked me. "What's a synthesizer?"

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:52 am

Today, local used synth shop:

-So, how much is that D-50?
-$1000
-And that M1?
-$700
-And that Triton Extreme 61?
-$2300
-Alright! Thanks! Bye!

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:06 am

Gianni wrote:Today, local used synth shop:

-So, how much is that D-50?
-$1000
-And that M1?
-$700
-And that Triton Extreme 61?
-$2300
-Alright! Thanks! Bye!
It must be some kind of conspiracy. A local used shop here has an X5D with a broken key for $650.00. :?
And then she said, "What the f...?"