Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Cumulus » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:17 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:
soundxplorer wrote:
AstroDan wrote:I always thought it was dumb when rock bands in the 70's and 80's would put big disclaimers in their LP's:
"No Synthesizers Were Used."
People still do that. Guitarists. I know Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine always made a huge deal about "no synths were used...", like it is supposed to be just THAT much more impressive. But these same guitarists line up a truck load of FX pedals to get their sounds. It's like they think using a synth is "cheating", but using that Eventide to turn your signal into something it totally wasn't to begin with, well, that is all pure talent.
This just makes me even more glad that I grew tired of RATM's faux revolutionary antics years ago.
I was thinking about putting the disclaimor that "No guitars were used" or maybe "No bagpipes were used".

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:06 pm

"No rules were applied to this record, instead I did what sounds good""
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

aXL
Gear: Moog LP Stage II, Ensoniq ESQ-1, Nord Electro 3, Roland JP-8080, Akai SynthStation 49, numerous softies...
Band: Nemesis Kane

Post by aXL » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:22 am

soundxplorer wrote:
AstroDan wrote:I always thought it was dumb when rock bands in the 70's and 80's would put big disclaimers in their LP's:
People still do that. Guitarists. I know Tom Morello of Rage Against the Machine always made a huge deal about "no synths were used...", like it is supposed to be just THAT much more impressive. But these same guitarists line up a truck load of FX pedals to get their sounds. It's like they think using a synth is "cheating", but using that Eventide to turn your signal into something it totally wasn't to begin with, well, that is all pure talent.
I will only grant this statement one exception: Brian May on Queen's 70's output. Mostly because it actually is impressive, but also because they eventually started using synths in the '80s without too much fuss.
Sir Nose wrote:It's like sex with or without a condom. You know which choice is gonna feel better, but it's not always a wise choice.
Disciples of the new wave, portaits in the sand...

danialad
Gear: Alesis Ion
Casiotone 403
Band: gypsy(moths)

Post by danialad » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:58 am

after being caught by my boss at work while on the forum:

boss: "oh so you're into synthesizers too?? that's awesome, you should help my boyfriend, he's looking to buy a synth."

me: "oh, well, what's he looking to use it for?"

her: "well he wants to do hip hop stuff... like drum beats and what not!"

me: "oh... so he wants a sampler or drum machine most likely..."

her: "no no, he's already got a sampler... an ales..is... sixteen or something?"
(referring to the alesis sr-16 drum machine of course... hah!!)
[the gypsy moth project]

have: alesis ion, casiotone 403
had: akai ax-80, korg poly-800, roland juno-6, korg er-1,
alesis sr-16, yamaha tx802, korg dw/ex-8000, korg ms2000

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:04 am

aXL wrote:
soundxplorer wrote:
I will only grant this statement one exception: Brian May on Queen's 70's output. Mostly because it actually is impressive, but also because they eventually started using synths in the '80s without too much fuss.
Actually they put those disclaimers on because people thought may's layered guitar solo's were made on synthesizers, when they were done by multi tracking a guitar 6 or so times. it wasn't that they hated synth's.

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:47 am

soundxplorer wrote:
Jan Hammer used to place the disclaimer "No guitars were used on this album" back in the late 70s-early 80s on his LPs.

Funny thing is, I knew a lot of people who still swore there was guitar on those tracks even after reading the disclaimer. :lol:
And then she said, "What the f...?"

freemind

Post by freemind » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm

I found a ridiculously cheap Clavinet in a small music store. I bought it and brought home the very same day. I was living with my parents back then and my mother was impressed with the fact that I bought such big instrument for so little money. She said "That's great, you can finally sell that little, expensive black piano over there!" - pointing at my Korg MS10.
Rhodes mkII 73,clavinet E7,MS10,alphaJuno2,kaossPad3,airsynth,Roland Re-201,Microkorg,Behringer mix,alesis soundcard. acoustic and electric guitars,various stompboxes.
http://www.przedeptane.pl http://www.jedzok.com/ http://www.blog.jedzok.com

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:54 pm

Primal Drive wrote:Jan Hammer used to place the disclaimer "No guitars were used on this album" back in the late 70s-early 80s on his LPs.

Funny thing is, I knew a lot of people who still swore there was guitar on those tracks even after reading the disclaimer. :lol:
Jan Hammer isn't a guitarist? :?
Always like that pic! First Seven Days had the disclamer on the liner notes.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:15 am

freemind wrote:I found a ridiculously cheap Clavinet in a small music store. I bought it and brought home the very same day. I was living with my parents back then and my mother was impressed with the fact that I bought such big instrument for so little money. She said "That's great, you can finally sell that little, expensive black piano over there!" - pointing at my Korg MS10.
ahh the "synthesizers = piano" perception.

mama.

Post by mama. » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:00 pm

Primal Drive wrote:nd it had 2 UFOs, Under Frequency Oscillators. By the way, the UFOs are used to get those scifi space ship sounds.
I am only referring to LFOs as UFOs from this point on.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:11 pm

I was drunk one friday night and dragged two 19 year old girls into my apartment after the bars closed down. I pointed at my Voyager RME and said "that's the rack version of the most expensive analog monosynth ever made". Then I switched on the backlight.

Seriously.

It doesn't really get worse than that.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:17 pm

nvbrkr wrote:I was drunk one friday night and dragged two 19 year old girls into my apartment after the bars closed down. I pointed at my Voyager RME and said "that's the rack version of the most expensive analog monosynth ever made". Then I switched on the backlight.

Seriously.

It's not so dumb if it worked....

VictorF

Post by VictorF » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Me and my old friend:

me: oh, so you're a dj. What kind of things you bought to do that work?

friend: well, I use FL Studio 8...
(he didn't talk about any vst...)

me: mmm... you should know that FLS is very good for MIDI sequencing while without some good vst you can't do very much!

friend: MIDI ... hahahha ... oh, no my dear; today we use mp3! MIDI is old!

me (my final question... I was already upset): but let me know this: do you know what is a synthesizer?

friend: never heard about it...
(while we know that music he uses for his "work" is only made with synths)

(that's why he's my OLD friend...)

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:22 am

nvbrkr wrote:I was drunk one friday night and dragged two 19 year old girls into my apartment after the bars closed down. I pointed at my Voyager RME and said "that's the rack version of the most expensive analog monosynth ever made". Then I switched on the backlight.

Seriously.

But you got a photo for the gear thread, right? eh?
Stephen(2)

Fogflip
Gear: voyager, MOOG LP II, virus TI, Jupiter 6, Monome 256, 2006 fender American strat, thingamakit, casio sk1, motu ultralite mk3, cp-251.

Post by Fogflip » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:29 am

Not the dumbest but surly stupid non the less. After the sunday st pattys day parade in my town me and some girl come back i get some :D then she starts talking about music and bands she likes all of them use synths she sees my synths. Thinks their cool on her way out shes talking about music again (woman need to learn to keep quite) and say she hates how all music now is synths and that they are not real instruments. Then she asked if i would call her i told her no plus she was a hipster so thats a double no. :lol:
Take it sleazy