Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by tekkentool » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:18 am

Five wrote:"SOUNDS LIKE NINTENDO"
OH I'VE HEARD THAT ONE, APPARENTLY NINTENDO OWNS SQUARE WAVES

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:30 am

a little off topic here, but I think refering to people not automatically know that certain synths can't play chords as stupid is kinda.. stupid. a non-musician's natural refence point to a synthesizer is a piano, so when you see something with a keyboard, assuming this too can play chords is not stupid, just not knowing. I think that attitude is quite arrogant.. Synths are complex things, and there is a reason why there are like 100 guitarists for each person with a synth, and and even higher ratio if you exclude those using only presets.

meh, someone else prove my point better, I'm lousy at this :p

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:55 pm

yeah your absolutely right! the odd person on here can get abit elitest and assume that everyone should know what they know so some stories are not stupidity just a case of people not knowing which there is nothing wrong with. but most of this thread is describing the same elitest types from other musical groups being knobs about synths and synth players.

I think? ha

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:27 pm

It seems like about every third comment I get on synth demo videos is that one.

No, it doesn't.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:48 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:

No, it doesn't.
What I dislike about this comment is that it is made to be derogatory. I personally think that Nintendo, whether it be nes, snes, gameboy etc, has had some incredible sound design and musical composers. I can't say that only a little bit of my musical influence has come from Koji Kondo and Kenji Yamamoto.

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 pm

TrondC wrote:a little off topic here, but I think refering to people not automatically know that certain synths can't play chords as stupid is kinda.. stupid. a non-musician's natural refence point to a synthesizer is a piano, so when you see something with a keyboard, assuming this too can play chords is not stupid, just not knowing. I think that attitude is quite arrogant.. Synths are complex things, and there is a reason why there are like 100 guitarists for each person with a synth, and and even higher ratio if you exclude those using only presets.

meh, someone else prove my point better, I'm lousy at this :p
I believe that this observation comes from the musical ignorant in general. The two most common modern instrumentalists are the guitarist and the pianist. Both instruments are designed to play both individual notes ore chords. What most people forget is that both the modern piano and modern guitar are very new instruments. The majority of classical instruments; clarinet, oboe, trumpet, trombone, tuba, saxophone, and even the human voice, were all designed to only play one note at a time. And this limitation in no way hindered the performance of those instruments.
When you add to this basic ignorance, or absent-mindedness rather, the illusion that the keyboard places in front of most synthesizers, I can understand why some people could be mislead. But hey! That is why people buy Buchla systems. Because they don't look, act, or sound like traditional instruments!

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:57 pm

I would take it as a compliment. Nintendo music kicks a*s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go5m608sPzA

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:57 pm

About monophony,
Often I'll describe my passion for older synths, pointing out to people that some are monophonic, the usual reaction from neophytes is like "yeah but what's the use in that"
most people can't distinguish a note from a chord, they just think the more fingers on the piano, the better it sounds or something.
Anything you can hum has to be or can be monophonic but somehow it doesn't register in people's minds.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:00 pm

BoxPhenom wrote:About monophony,
Often I'll describe my passion for older synths, pointing out to people that some are monophonic, the usual reaction from neophytes is like "yeah but what's the use in that"
I've been hit with that a couple of times, and I always respond with something like, "What's the use in a saxephone?" I also like to point out that most guitar solos are played as single-note lines.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

BoxPhenom

Post by BoxPhenom » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 pm

good example,

I guess it's not necessarily a dumb reaction, it's just that many people will say : "one note a time?, that's retarded!"
There's a famous journalist in my city that reviewed a prog band's show, ages ago, saying they didn't have any talent because all they keyboard parts were "one note at a time", that's in a major newspaper, and she's now one of their major editorialist and just as stupid.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:21 am

Next thing people will be moaning about vocalists not being able to sing chords!

to be honest I have never come across that monophonic comment...... yet.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:46 am

I've come across the monophonic comment. People say "But you can get ones that sound similar that give you the option of one at a time or many at a time"

Haha, and it's fair enough really. I just love monosynths
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:45 am

This is more ignorance than stupidity but it's all I've got right now...

After a theremin gig a woman came up to me and said, "How does it make those sounds? Do you have magnets in your hands?"

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:33 am

Mr Knesh wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:

No, it doesn't.
What I dislike about this comment is that it is made to be derogatory. I personally think that Nintendo, whether it be nes, snes, gameboy etc, has had some incredible sound design and musical composers. I can't say that only a little bit of my musical influence has come from Koji Kondo and Kenji Yamamoto.
I'm not sure it has been derogatory when I've received it.
Whether it is derogatory or not, in regard to most synths it's just inaccurate.
zoomtheline wrote:Next thing people will be moaning about vocalists not being able to sing chords!

to be honest I have never come across that monophonic comment...... yet.
I get that one all the time. "Is it true that the Minimoog ONLY plays ONE NOTE AT A TIME?????"
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:39 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:

No, it doesn't.
That's f**k up. How could someone say that about the Nintendo.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: