Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:35 am

I worked at GC for 3 years and what that guy was doing, not hitting on your gf, was what GC calls "leading questions." These questions are made with intention of leading toward a sale. This salesman entered into the keyboard department and looked to the easiest sale first. The knob tweaking grunt over at the microkorg as he was the most likely to buy something. That's not sexism, that is straight statistical data, and no Guitar Center doesn't teach you that, being a salesman teaches you that.
After you brush the guy off like a douche, he then turned his attention to his next sale. A tasty motif. Which is a great sale, but it is really difficult to begin talking about without sounding like a total j**k-off. So was trying to lead into a conversation about the motif by complimenting her playing.
It sounded like he was doing the usual salesman routine, not hitting on your gf brody. AND DON'T TOUCH THE SALESMAN ITS CREEPY AS f**k AND FRANKLY THREATENING!!!

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:50 am

Fair enough. Thanks for your input JayEm and My Knesh. There was quite a bit more dialog that went on that I omitted in my post. I too have worked in sales many years ago and based upon my own experience this individual came across as smarmy and overbearing while displaying a lack of understanding of the products he was trying to sell. If he had any knowledge of the product he was trying to sell he would have understood when I explained to him what I was trying to program in the synth rather than to come up with such idiotic comments.

As for me placing my hand on his shoulder, yes, it was intended to creep the dude out. Call it an old fashioned caveman-esque response if you will to my girlfriend being hit upon by some other guy (in all fairness, I realize that some may find the idea of a three way with a music store sales person enticing, so I'll refrain from any sort of judgmental comments).

Honestly, the guy was an a*s and his comments fit this thread.
And then she said, "What the f...?"

Mr Knesh

Post by Mr Knesh » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:48 pm

Old man 1 - "You had a three way with my daughter!"
Old man 2 - "You daughter is 58 years old!"
Old man 1 - "That is no excuse for such behavior."
Old man 3 - "You know the rules, if there is snow on the field, plow it from both ends!"

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 pm

BF wrote:No disrespect, but if there is no ring on her finger hitting on her is fair game.
That is a bold statement and may cost you a lot of teeth in the long term... :lol:

But you live by the sword and die by the sword.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, he was already programming the synth, so it's pretty dumb nevertheless to tell him that he doesn't have to do that as the unit also has presets. Then again, music stores these days won't need the most knowledgeable personnel in there, since those who know what they are getting most often buy their stuff via internet. I think at least around here the keyboard sections in the bigger stores survive merely by making their sales to people who walk into the store and can't really tell the difference between a rompler / va / home keyboard with built-in speakers. It's probably better that they won't confuse the customer's head with the typical geargeek stuff.

Sometimes you may absolutely need to flirt with the middle-aged women in order to make a sale, though.

adamstan
Gear: Yamaha 2xDX7II|QY-70|PSR-S750|PSR-2000|TYROS|Electone D85|Electone E50
B5 DIY polysynth
KORG Poly61
Vermona DRM
Solton Programmer 24
LEMA EDD-5

Post by adamstan » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:12 am

I've once read a Polymoog review (around 1999). It was quite nice, but one statement made me laughing. Reviewer said, that you shouldn't expect realistic acoustic sounds from analogue synth, 'cause it isn't digital :lol: And that's it - no further explanation. Just "analogue isn't digital, and that's why it sucks at making acoustic sounds".
Man with a tape recorder | Living in the '80s ;-)

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 am

I can't remember how many times an anonymous person at a gig has referred to my Leslie cabinet as a "Wurlitzer".

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:56 am

Not sure if this has been said before as I have not read all 16 pages , but a few years back I was working at a GC and well 90% of the things I heard said in there could make this thread go on forever .
One that stands out in my mind as I was asked it so often it became an inside joke was ...
" Do you got them audio to midi cables ? "
The what ?
" you know for the midis " ( some times followed by a )
" so I can record my voice in to Reasons "
Reas-on ( I would then like to emphasize the n ) Doesn't record audio .
" I know that's why I need a midis cord for my mic "
I would then after my eyes glazing over question weather the hosa snakes would hold long enough to hang me completely " So you would then say to your co-worker I got to go back in the stock room to look through the hosa cables .
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:53 pm

:lol: that is awesome! reminds me of guys referring to midi as "sounding" special
"you know, midi just sounds s**t"
:lol:

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:28 pm

pflosi wrote::lol: that is awesome! reminds me of guys referring to midi as "sounding" special
I know . A friend of mine I've been thinking about working with said ' "I hate the sound of midi drums " after telling him I would bring my Alesis control pad with me on our next meeting . I then asked him how he did the the drum tracks from his last demo ? He stated he did them in Garageband with the built in instruments using the mac keyboard , "but thats why they sounded so good because they weren't midi " :roll:
( note he is a brilliant song writer and guitarist , but obviously has no clue about anything electronic )

Anyway glad my own personal misery can give others something to chuckle about :cry: :lol:

Now where did I put my proco snake .That will work ....

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:18 pm

loungedumore wrote:
pflosi wrote::lol: that is awesome! reminds me of guys referring to midi as "sounding" special
I know . A friend of mine I've been thinking about working with said ' "I hate the sound of midi drums " after telling him I would bring my Alesis control pad with me on our next meeting . I then asked him how he did the the drum tracks from his last demo ? He stated he did them in Garageband with the built in instruments using the mac keyboard , "but thats why they sounded so good because they weren't midi " :roll:
( note he is a brilliant song writer and guitarist , but obviously has no clue about anything electronic )

Anyway glad my own personal misery can give others something to chuckle about :cry: :lol:

Now where did I put my proco snake .That will work ....
I can only assume he meant that playing the drums manually via the Mac keyboard sounds better than the pre-programmed patterns. It still sounds dumb, though.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:19 pm

I used to play music with a guy who swore that my drum machine couldn't keep a steady beat. he swore that it sped up or slowed down because he couldn't keep a steady beat.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:54 am

Somewhere on the internet, I can only hope that somebody is making fun of each one of you for saying something ignorant about fruit fly mating habits, fluid dynamics, dental prosthetics, reports on atavism, having a clue about the opposite sex, etc.

Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Mr Knesh

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:36 am

He might have also been referring to midi sound fonts, or merely the general midi soundset which was simply called midi for a long time. :geek:

and hosa cables are very strong. I use them to m*******e with. :twisted:

loungedumore
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE

Post by loungedumore » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:51 pm

Mr Knesh wrote: and hosa cables are very strong. I use them to m*******e with. :twisted:
:? :o :lol:

No it had more to do with the fact that I mentioned the word " MIDI " and he explained to me latter that it wasn't an apple instrument he used , but samples and he dropped them in one hit at a time ... so since it took longer and had less flexibility and did not come from a midi track or plugin it was better .... somehow :roll:
Lesson learned : Just do your magic without explanation ! If the kids don't know there's anchovies in the dressing they will eat it and like it ,but if you tell them .... not so much .