Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nvbrkr
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:14 pm
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by nvbrkr » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Cumulus wrote:
Raiven wrote:1. Analog synths are better than digital ones.

2. FM7/FM8 isn't as good as the Yamaha FM synths.

Those have taken the cake with me to date.
I don't think these statements qualify as dumb. They're just statements of opinion and I would bet someone could make a good argument either way.

I can't speak intelligently about the FM thing but I could make a good argument for or against digital or analog.

In fact, we could fill entire threads much like the hardware vs. software debate.
FM7 and DX7 do not sound identical either.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3196635

Also, based on the small run of tests that we did years ago, I'd be willing to say the DX7 sounds a little bit better than the FM7 at the very least. Perhaps that's one of the dumbest things ever said about synths, then. But I mean, I do tend to trust my ears when there's an audible difference that allows the perceiver to favour one instance over another.

User avatar
Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1834
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:48 pm
Band: Cumulus

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Cumulus » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:04 pm

That's what I am talking about. We all have our opinions on which synths are better, sound better, look cooler etc.

While I realize that every opinion that doesn't agree wiht mine is completely stupid and idiotic I know better than to post them as "The Dumbest thing I have ever heard someone say about synths".

User avatar
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Posts: 1799
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:43 pm

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Solderman » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:12 pm

griffin avid wrote:rant about VSE members possibly being elderly, talentless, complacent j**k...
Maybe I'm nuts, but if a good salesman doesn't know what the h**l you're talking about, he should stop you and ask. It shouldn't take long to find out if someone isn't there to buy.

Back on topic, just thought of another one: I played a raw Pulsewidth Modulation sample at a constant pitch of A2 for a co-worker. His comment: "That sounds like a fart". An opinion, yes. Dumb? Possibly.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

User avatar
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2851
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:52 pm
Real name: Mauricio
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ
Location: Costa Rica

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by balma » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:33 pm

Image

“It'z HOT! "
*Producer Keith Shocklee after using the Beat Thang Drum machine for the first time

That was a nice review from a hiphop producer about a new gear.... Maybe he left it with the power switch on during a long time and no ventilation and then he tried to use it
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:21 pm

Cumulus wrote:
Raiven wrote:1. Analog synths are better than digital ones.

2. FM7/FM8 isn't as good as the Yamaha FM synths.

Those have taken the cake with me to date.
I don't think these statements qualify as dumb. They're just statements of opinion and I would bet someone could make a good argument either way.

I can't speak intelligently about the FM thing but I could make a good argument for or against digital or analog.

In fact, we could fill entire threads much like the hardware vs. software debate.
I think these statements are VERY dumb as every instrument has its' merits in relation to the artist. (Analog or digital)

I think the Alesis Andromeda is c**p because "I" found no use for it. I want another Blofeld Keyboard because I'm finding it indispensable to "my" music.

I don't own not one analog synth right now. I sold them all as I simply got over the silly stigma and stuck to what works.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:28 pm

nvbrkr wrote:
Cumulus wrote:
Raiven wrote:1. Analog synths are better than digital ones.

2. FM7/FM8 isn't as good as the Yamaha FM synths.

Those have taken the cake with me to date.
I don't think these statements qualify as dumb. They're just statements of opinion and I would bet someone could make a good argument either way.

I can't speak intelligently about the FM thing but I could make a good argument for or against digital or analog.

In fact, we could fill entire threads much like the hardware vs. software debate.
FM7 and DX7 do not sound identical either.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3196635

Also, based on the small run of tests that we did years ago, I'd be willing to say the DX7 sounds a little bit better than the FM7 at the very least. Perhaps that's one of the dumbest things ever said about synths, then. But I mean, I do tend to trust my ears when there's an audible difference that allows the perceiver to favour one instance over another.
The versatility in the software package goes way beyond the hardware's dynamic. I used to own A DX7IIFD. I gave it away to a friend when I got the FM7 demo.

You may have copied hardware programs into FM7 but that's really not the point IMHO, when FM7/FM8 is beyond the hardware's functionality.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

haydenvan
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 148
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:38 am
Gear: Roland SH-101, CSQ-600, Korg KR-55, Ensoniq SQ80, Akai MPC1000
Location: Berlin

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by haydenvan » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:21 pm

I was rehearsing with my friend's band in my room. We were playing a nord lead set up on the floor. My roommate asked me to move our "piano" ;)

User avatar
ronP
Active Member
Active Member
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 7:20 pm
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish
Location: New York, NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by ronP » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:43 pm

oo


"DUDE," . . . (pause for a long drag) . . . "can you, like, make a wind sound with that machine?"

-- a metal guitarist in smoke exhalation


oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

nvbrkr
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:14 pm
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:21 pm

Raiven, reading your comments basically just gives the impression that you're contradicting yourself. Your first so-called "dumb comment" originally read "analog synths are better than digital ones", and then you're automatically connecting that to something being called "c**p" by some abstract individual. Simply saying that one considers something better than something else, does not in any way equal with the person considering the other instance automatically "c**p" as well. Also, what you responded to me personally nevertheless makes the assumption that FM7/8 are indeed "better" than the original DX line - so that doesn't really make any sense either in the context you've set yourself. The DX7 sounds a little bit better than the NI FM softsynths to my ears, so I'm ready to deem the original "better" based just on that merit alone.

People use such expressions as "better" or "worse" on a daily basis - it's how we communicate on a basic level. So there's nothing odd about that. The ideal of "subjective views" definitely has gone overboard when we aren't even allowed to make value statements based on our preferences without being called dumb. See, when people say "better" it's not usually really intended to be a wholly objective statement to begin with, is it? You're not making a philosophical argument or following the ideals of contemporary linguistic theory when you simply express what you prefer. Certainly, some people might not be subtle when they voice their opinions on the internet, but it doesn't really change anything.

Furthermore, what's usually pretty funny about this site are the few individuals who constantly get upset by many of the posters here considering analog synths more desirable than digital ones. The site is called "Vintage Synth Explorer" (VSE), why on earth would it surprise anyone that people who post at a forum like this genuinely prefer analog synths over digital ones?

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Raiven » Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:02 pm

I see no contradictions in anything I've said. The instrument is only better in relation to the artist.

This site being VSE makes no difference. There are vintage analog and digital synths. So when someone thinks analog synths are better than digital ones, even here, I think that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

In reference to my FM7/FM8 comments. I believe I was pretty clear. The functionality of FM7/FM8 far exceeds the DX line of synths in every way. For someone to say that they are not as good as the DX line is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.

That is the thread topic, no?
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

User avatar
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:26 am
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...
Location: Australia

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Hybrid88 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:23 am

nvbrkr wrote:Furthermore, what's usually pretty funny about this site are the few individuals who constantly get upset by many of the posters here considering analog synths more desirable than digital ones. The site is called "Vintage Synth Explorer" (VSE), why on earth would it surprise anyone that people who post at a forum like this genuinely prefer analog synths over digital ones?
Yes, this is why I rarely post here anymore, it seems anytime I say I have a preference for analog gear I get verbally belted by the same boring, usual suspects that for some reason think it's cool to be anti analog - on VSE?!? :roll:
Raiven wrote:...This site being VSE makes no difference. There are vintage analog and digital synths. So when someone thinks analog synths are better than digital ones, even here, I think that's one of the dumbest things I've ever heard.
I think it's important to make the distinction that some people may "prefer" analog and this gets misinterpreted by others that analog is better - it isn't a question of "better" or "worse", they are both different and both immensly important to modern electronic music production, in fact the humble "Plug-In" maybe moreso in that it has reached a massively larger audience of producers and has revolutionised music production. The fact that some people may prefer to still use real hardware is of no consequence to me - I happily use both :D

Just my 2¢ ;)

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:58 am

There's no misinterpretation here. I have no qualms with another persons preference of music instruments.

The title of this thread is,"Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone "say" about synths." Analog is better than digital happens to be one of those dumbest things I've ever heard, period.

And to even have someone tell me that they can prove that they're better just takes the cake. :lol:
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

nvbrkr
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 812
Joined: Fri May 09, 2008 8:14 pm
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.
Location: Helsinki, Finland

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:15 am

Don't add more stuff to your arguments, when you say "period."!

If such claims are made in relation to a classic analog synth and the VA / VSTi emulation of it, then it can be proven pretty easily (there are youtube videos around as well). If it's simply between "analog in general" and "digital in general", then a distinction between which one is "better" would be pretty hard to make - and it's a pretty stupid question to begin with if someone takes something like that too seriously. As a generalization, I'd be willing to say that just about any mid-range analog synth is a better-sounding instrument than the vast majority digital keyboards manufactured. The way the artists themselves use them is rather secondary in that regard, as the talent doesn't come shipped in the same box as the instrument itself when you buy it. The Microkorg doesn't become a top-of-the-line instrument just because some of my own favourite contemporary artists have used the Microkorg very creatively. It mostly just means the artists are good at what they do and that the instrument itself has proven its usefulness as well.

Again, when one says that something is "better" it is already a subjective statement to begin with. Laughing at people's failure to satisfyingly prove their subjective statements objectively is redundant, as you should have been yourself able to read that subjective position into their statements when they have used the words "better" in the first place. That's the first step one should attempt to take if the aim is to have an intelligent conversation on something. The problem here is that the ideal of the quality of things being ultimately judged only on a subjective basis is effectively turned against people voicing out subjective opinions in the first place. That's what's bordering strongly on a contradiction - or a "fallacy", if you'd choose to use such vocabulary -, and is in itself just one of the most irritating aspects of how people behave on the internet these days.


The usage of the word "better" is ambiguous, deal with it.

User avatar
Raiven
Junior Member
Junior Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:26 am
Gear: See Signature.....
Band: Eventyde
Location: USA

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Raiven » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:39 am

nvbrkr wrote:Don't add more stuff to your arguments, when you say "period."!

If such claims are made in relation to a classic analog synth and the VA / VSTi emulation of it, then it can be proven pretty easily (there are youtube videos around as well). If it's simply between "analog in general" and "digital in general", then a distinction between which one is "better" would be pretty hard to make - and it's a pretty stupid question to begin with if someone takes something like that too seriously. As a generalization, I'd be willing to say that just about any mid-range analog synth is a better-sounding instrument than the vast majority digital keyboards manufactured. The way the artists themselves use them is rather secondary in that regard, as the talent doesn't come shipped in the same box as the instrument itself when you buy it. The Microkorg doesn't become a top-of-the-line instrument just because some of my own favourite contemporary artists have used the Microkorg very creatively. It mostly just means the artists are good at what they do and that the instrument itself has proven its usefulness as well.

Again, when one says that something is "better" it is already a subjective statement to begin with. Laughing at people's failure to satisfyingly prove their subjective statements objectively is redundant, as you should have been yourself able to read that subjective position into their statements when they have used the words "better" in the first place. That's the first step one should attempt to take if the aim is to have an intelligent conversation on something. The problem here is that the ideal of the quality of things being ultimately judged only on a subjective basis is effectively turned against people voicing out subjective opinions in the first place. That's what's bordering strongly on a contradiction - or a "fallacy", if you'd choose to use such vocabulary -, and is in itself just one of the most irritating aspects of how people behave on the internet these days.


The usage of the word "better" is ambiguous, deal with it.
Do you like hearing yourself talk? The quote above truly belongs in this thread. Exhibit A.
Korg M3 (Fully Loaded), Blofeld Keyboard, MPC 2500 LE, (Monomachine), Logic Studio 8, Live 6, FM8, Absynth 4, Predator, Alpha3, Korg Legacy Collection, (Shioitor), Drumazon, Nepheton, Stylus RMX

http://www.myspace.com/eventydejams

User avatar
Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:46 pm
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Syn303 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:15 pm

Raiven wrote:That is the thread topic, no?
No, your way off topic, your discussing something else totally - refer to synth shootout threads instead. That is where Exhibit A vs Exhibit B belongs. This is about dumb things people have said about synths, not a digital vs analogue war.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Post Reply