Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ry-Fi
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ion, MKS-30, MKS-50, SQ-1+ 32-voice, TX81Z

Re: Dumbest thing you've ever heard someone say about synths

Post by Ry-Fi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 am

Solderman wrote:Just remembered one my mother said recently, so I am obliged to reiterate that there's a distinct difference between stupidity and unfamiliarity:

I brought my Polivoks to my parent's house to show it to a friend who lives nearby. While showing it to them, I turned it on to play a few notes, commenting that it takes 15 to 20 minutes to warm up, and continued describing it by first saying:
"It takes a while to warm up and stay in tune, so I'll have to wait before playing it."

Mom pointed at the blinking LFO light and said "Does that blinking light go off when it's warmed up?"
Awww, that's one of those things that's just cute and funny when it's somebody else's ma, and a total embarrassment when it's your own. I liked it. :)

Mr Knesh
Gear: DP/4+ because in order to dive in deep, you have to DP.

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:58 am

Ry-Fi wrote:
Solderman wrote:Just remembered one my mother said recently, so I am obliged to reiterate that there's a distinct difference between stupidity and unfamiliarity:

I brought my Polivoks to my parent's house to show it to a friend who lives nearby. While showing it to them, I turned it on to play a few notes, commenting that it takes 15 to 20 minutes to warm up, and continued describing it by first saying:
"It takes a while to warm up and stay in tune, so I'll have to wait before playing it."

Mom pointed at the blinking LFO light and said "Does that blinking light go off when it's warmed up?"
Awww, that's one of those things that's just cute and funny when it's somebody else's ma, and a total embarrassment when it's your own. I liked it. :)
It made me face- palm because my mother would have said the same thing!
Hey! The oven does it, why wouldnt this other techno-doohicky?

retrosounds

Post by retrosounds » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:12 am

Synthaholic wrote:
veer chasm wrote:
pflosi wrote:^classic :lol:

"try that knob" (pointing to filter cutoff freq)
"nice. so all these knobs do something different?"
Too funny. He's on to something,I would love to find an old beat up DX7 and just glue on a bunch of knobs that don't do anything.
Or label all the knobs "filter cutoff freq" :lol:
Here's one. Buy a beat-up, non-working modular and label every module Moog filter :lol:
Another quote-
Friend: Why so many?
Me: I use them for music and things.
Friend: But aren't they all the same.
Me: No...ಠ_ಠ
"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"

gd

Post by gd » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:34 am

balma - what no mixer are you nutz :lol: - but in all seriousness were the blondes hot ???
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:28 pm

No they looked like 40 years old travestis (She-males). After that close encounter with that freak , I have some bad blood against italian trance.... :lol:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:20 pm

balma wrote: I still do not understand what's wrong with playing only the synths without a mixer...
Nothing. I used to submix all my stuff on stage, and found incorrectly mixing based on what I could hear in my monitors. Now I send my drums and synths to the bar's sound man and let him mix them from the back of the room.. sounds way better.

Betterthanprozac
Gear: Junos, Tetra, Virus KC, MEK, Micron, YC-20, V synth, Triton, etc...
Band: Outer Space Real Estate

Post by Betterthanprozac » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm

"You can only play one at a time."

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:47 pm

th0mas wrote:
balma wrote: I still do not understand what's wrong with playing only the synths without a mixer...
Nothing. I used to submix all my stuff on stage, and found incorrectly mixing based on what I could hear in my monitors. Now I send my drums and synths to the bar's sound man and let him mix them from the back of the room.. sounds way better.
True. I mean, if you play live, why the h**l do you MUST use a mixer like any DJ???? I compose everything with my synths, and EQ everything since the very heart of the track. I EQ the sound patch by patch.

Lots of my synths have line in like the Vsynth, the Waldorf and the Electribes. What I do is, previous to the live performance, I test the sound, and regulate the volumes of each synth.

then, an enginneer or a DJ comes, go to the mixer, I give him four line outs (eight RCA or 1/4 cables) and connect it to the main mixer, and then start the live act without stopping the previous sounding music.

BUT this f**k Genious, with his two shemales, came to me and told me to STOP working in that way, he almost called me retarded.

The guy is suppose to have a HUGE reputation on the trance scene. What is weird, it that he was very reluctant to name a single synth.

First thing I thought: this guy is a fake, he cames here, trying to impress local artists, thinking that Costa Rica is a country very appart from world and we eat only bananas....

Anyway, I keep working in the same way....
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

gtivr6fan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Fifth
Band: Hotboxer, Supremotron

Post by gtivr6fan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:50 pm

Response to craigslist ad I posted:
" I might be interested in your synth. Just get back to me and well see "
I responded, he didn't! WTF?

Mr Knesh

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:35 pm

gtivr6fan wrote:Response to craigslist ad I posted:
" I might be interested in your synth. Just get back to me and well see "
I responded, he didn't! WTF?
That is a constant occurrence for me and craigslist. I usually get a response two weeks later saying something like
"Oh yeah, that synth that I said I really wanted. Apparently I didnt want it."

and back on topic....

customer points at a drum machine, mpc, or whatever - "Does this thing make beats?"
me - "No that does not make beats."
customer - "What in here can make beats?"
me - "They dont make beats. YOU (I point at him) make beats. This will just provide the sound for it."

Maybe Im just a j**k, and a bad salesman.

Mr Knesh

Post by Mr Knesh » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 pm

This isn't a story about somebody saying something dumb about synths but a story about someone who was hurt by their ignorance of midi and computer music production in general.

While working at Guitar Center I had a fellow bring in an MPD24 who wanted help setting it up with his computer. I was a bit resentful of the situation going in to it as he said he purchased the Akai at a competing music store, and my job was to sell musical equipment not trouble shoot or faq gear. BUT, as I started to talk to him I got the sense that this guy needed some serious information about midi. He was given the impression by the salesman at the other store that the mpd24 was used very similarly to an mpc. He was told rather directly that "you plug the mpd into your computer, load it up with samples and then take it to the gig and plug it into the mixing board and go. Computer free." Im paraphrasing.
So I had a good long chit-chat with him about the functionality of the mpd itself and how to use it. Along with gear solutions that might actually suit his. ie mpc or other sampler. But that was a good example of the type C sales associate can really be harmful. I encouraged the kid to return the mpd and not bother shopping at that other store ever again.
Attachments
akai_mpd24.jpg
Last edited by Mr Knesh on Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Mr Knesh wrote:customer points at a drum machine, mpc, or whatever - "Does this thing make beats?"
me - "No that does not make beats."
customer - "What in here can make beats?"
me - "They dont make beats. YOU (I point at him) make beats. This will just provide the sound for it."

Maybe Im just a j**k, and a bad salesman.

no, you're a b***h man... should trade the fun for a little bit if hipocresy :lol:

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:17 pm

this is a new one...my compadre "why do you need that many 'keyboards' for you should have just bought a korg triton." :roll: ...he owns one by they way... :lol:

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:55 pm

megamanx wrote:this is a new one...my compadre "why do you need that many 'keyboards' for you should have just bought a korg triton." :roll: ...he owns one by they way... :lol:
you better do not get fun of that affirmation on futureproducers dot com, you'll get banned.

gtivr6fan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Fifth
Band: Hotboxer, Supremotron

Post by gtivr6fan » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:28 pm

balma wrote: you better do not get fun of that affirmation on futureproducers dot com, you'll get banned.
Huh?