Granular hardware synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
danimuschi

Granular hardware synth

Post by danimuschi » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:48 am

Hi!

first post here, though i've been lurking for a while...

I'm doing the presets for this new danish produced synth.

Check it here: and let me know what you guys think...

Also some sound samples here: http://www.highendtentacles.dk/deMOON.html

Let me know what you think.

Thanks! Daniel
Rhodes Suitcase MKI, MiniMoog, Nordlead2, Micron, Triton, Clavinet D6, VP-330+, Polymoog Keyboard, Arp2600, Crumar Multiman-S, EchoPlex, Space-Echo RE-301, Kurtzweil K2000RS, Yamaha YC-45d, Acetone Top-1 and Top-7, Elex K-3, Elka X-55, ect.

alan partridge

Re: Granular hardware synth

Post by alan partridge » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:57 pm

I love the sound of this thing.

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:58 am

Hi Daniel, Thanks for developing a cool machine. Could you tell us a few specs? What range of grain sizes is possible? Can the envelopes of the grains or the grain density be adjusted? Can grain events (clouds and whatnot) be mixed and combined? Most of all, is there a website were people can get info and updates on the project?

danimuschi

Post by danimuschi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:34 am

Hi Schmidtc

I can't take credit for developing the DeMoon... I just did the soundbanks ;-)

Check http://www.highendtentacles.dk/deMOON.html for more info and samples
and: for one more video

Hope you like it...

I pasted the specs from the web here:

SPECS:
Affordable 4 note polyphonic filterbank synthesizer with build-in granulator and distortion effects, step-sequencer and note randomizer. Small and compact in size with a great sound. The headphone output and the step-sequencer makes it ideal to express your musical ideas everywhere, and store them in 128 memory locations.

THE OSCILLATORS

The deMOON oscillator waveforms are continuously variable from triangle to saw to square or from triangle to saw to noise. The wave-shaping can be modulated from all sources, including the oscillator itself. All waveforms can be pulsewidth and pitch-modulated. The noise waveform can be pitched or unpitched. Unison mode with detune are availible. The oscillator section has it's own two LFO's and one envelope. The LFO waveforms are continuously variable from triangle to saw to square to pulse. The LFO's can be both wave and rate-modulated.

THE FILTERS

The deMOON has four filters which are indepedently programable and each can be routed in serial or parallel to the others. Each filter can be set in lo-pass, band-pass or hi-pass mode. Cut-off, resonance and output levels can be modulated, and each filters output can be panned separately. The filter-section has it's own two LFO's (same types as descibed in the oscillator section), one envelope and one random-generator, that can be trigged from LFO1, LFO2 or midi note-on's.

THE MINIGRAN

The minigran are a scaled down version of our deFormer's granulator effect. It cuts the input up in small fragments, and reorder these fragments to create a totally different sounding output. While the deFormers granulator works in sizes of 100 seconds, deMOON's minigran only works in sizes of milliseconds, so it is not very usable for rearranging beats. It's more like that it rearranges the waveform, and makes it sound glass/bell/voice-like or very strange.

THE DISTORTION EFFECT

deMOON has five different types of distortion to choose from:

-GAIN: Not really a distortion. Just gains the sound. It is possible to gain the sound so it clips.

-VALVE: A digital model of a classic valve distortion.

-SINE: Sine shape distortion. Strange!

-FUZZ: A digital model of a classic fuzz distortion.

-XDIS: INSANE!!! Destroys everything.

THE STEP-SEQUENCER

A one-track monophonic type with a maximum of 32 steps. Note, velocity and controller sub-tracks. Tracks are "recorded" by entering values for each step. Syncs to midi-clock.

THE NOTE RANDOMIZER

The note randomizer treats incoming MIDI note on and off's and notes generated by the internal sequencer (if turned on). When it receives note data, it takes a look at a user adjustable probability parameter, and randomly decides if it will play that note or not. If it decides to play the note, it will have a look at a user adjustable random velocity parameter, and if this is higher than zero, it will randomize the note velocity value with the adjusted amount. This effect is very useful for creating variations in repeating patterns.

MIDI CONTROL

deMOON receives note on's and off's and program change on the selected midi-channel. The oscillators also recieves pitch-bend data. All modulatable parameters can be modulated by velocity and midi-controller 1-3. Midi controllers 4 to 90 are hard-assigned to most of the deMOON's parameters, for easy hooking up with a midi-control device.

THE USER INTERFACE

deMOON's user interface are very simple: One volume knob, to edit/controller knobs, an encoder with click switch and a play/enter pushbutton with blue LED. In edit mode, the two edit/controller knobs edits two parameters at a time, on the selected edit page. In sound select mode, they transmits midi-controller 2 and 3 internally to the parameters, where these controllers are selected as modulation source. The encoder selects sound and navigate around in the edit pages plus it adjusts some switch-functions on some edit pages.
Rhodes Suitcase MKI, MiniMoog, Nordlead2, Micron, Triton, Clavinet D6, VP-330+, Polymoog Keyboard, Arp2600, Crumar Multiman-S, EchoPlex, Space-Echo RE-301, Kurtzweil K2000RS, Yamaha YC-45d, Acetone Top-1 and Top-7, Elex K-3, Elka X-55, ect.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:20 pm

Did some checking in last night and really thinking about buying one of these.

Seems like the DeMOON has minimal granular synth effects in super short amounts. Not so much for beats but for waveforms they say. The DeFORMER will have a much wider range and more complex use of granular synthesis for much more experimental use but will also be 1400 Euro apparently. Whereas the DeMOON+ sells for about 325 Euro (not sure of analogue haven price) by contrast.

Seems like DeMOON+ means that it has the added external input for filter and granular use. I imagine if you were buying one of these that you might as well get the external input.

Decisions, decisions. I like the presets but I want to hear it get really weird. And maybe process some stuff.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:34 pm

hot damn, nice sounding synth!

danimuschi

Post by danimuschi » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:16 am

let me know what you wanna se in a video and I'll try to include it...

So far:
How the menu system works / how to edit sounds
Processing of external sounds
Really weird stuf...

Keep em coming

theglyph

Post by theglyph » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:18 am

Looks great with the Blokeys!! A nice combo when you consider the Blofeld's synth engine combined with a granular synthesizer.
Eurorack modular, Voyager w/351,MF101.102.104.105B, LP Stage, Juno-106, Siel DK600, Paia 9700, Nord Electro 2, Ensoniq MR76