So... What's up at Elektron?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: So... What's up at Elektron?

Post by mome rath » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:47 pm

supermel74 wrote:
mome rath wrote:
supermel74 wrote:Seriously? I think they're complete s**t. Plus the fact that they turn incredibly slow unless you push them in which is pretty awkward. I think the machines are built really well otherwise, but there's no excuse for cheap knobs on a $1500 tweak box.
i don't see pushing the encoders as awkward or problematic...

to a great extent, knobs are knobs, and knobs are easy to swap out. i'll sell you some expensive ones if that's what you're after :-"
I would pay $200 more for an Elektron with knobs with the quality and durability of a Nord Lead, Access Virus, or Technosaurus Microcon
i think you're confusing knobs with encoders and hating on both

seriously, i will sell you some knobs
god elton can't you suck

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:07 pm

mome rath wrote:i think you're confusing knobs with encoders and hating on both

seriously, i will sell you some knobs
Yeah. I just call the whole mechanism the knobs, I know the "knobs" on the Elektrons are actually encoders. I don't like encoders at all(or wobbly knobs). The advantage of no parameter jumps isn't worth the trade off in build quality to me.

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:11 pm

mome rath wrote:unless you're edward f**k scissorhands there's no reason to complain about elektron knobs
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:09 am

Erm... Yeah... So.... What's up at elektron?
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:59 am

kuroichi wrote:Erm... Yeah... So.... What's up at elektron?
Stickers.
virb.com/ookpikk

mome rath
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by mome rath » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:22 am

kuroichi wrote:Erm... Yeah... So.... What's up at elektron?

litter boxes

god elton can't you suck

Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Post by Shanesaw » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:49 am

Cute.

By the way mome, your tracks rock. Especially that "eat your bees" one.

I just got my MDUW yesterday and I gotta say that this tweak box is incredibly, well, intuitive! (compared to the other drum machines I've owned) Easier than I thought to interact with. The knobs, IMO, are fine. They beat the s**t out of the DSI encoders.

Lets see... a third elektron box. Hmmm. Ok, you've got your drum-machine, you've got your synth-machine, what's the next logical step?
"There was never a notion that a synthesizer would be used by itself for anything" - Robert Moog (1934-2005)

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:21 am

The elektron guitar, like a moog-guitar with parameter-locks...

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:38 am

speaking of parameter locks,

I predict elektron are going to come up with a cool name for some other already-in-existence function and that will be their big breakthrough.

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:38 am

cartesia wrote:speaking of parameter locks,

I predict elektron are going to come up with a cool name for some other already-in-existence function and that will be their big breakthrough.
The revolution is not in thought, but in implementation... Elektron's forte has always been in the UI and parameter-locks is so much more intuitive in the way they use them than for example Jomox. And in this they are still unique. Implementation man!

Instrument Panel

Post by Instrument Panel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:22 am

Maybe it's another manufacturing run of the Monomachine keyboard. :o

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Mush wrote:
cartesia wrote:speaking of parameter locks,

The revolution is not in thought, but in implementation... Elektron's forte has always been in the UI and parameter-locks is so much more intuitive in the way they use them than for example Jomox. And in this they are still unique. Implementation man!

How *do* parameter locks get set on elektron gear?

I'm the kinda guy who likes to have at least 1 encoder above every step button.. so seeing only 8 on the elektron boxes (and not in-line with the steps) seems like it wouldn't be as easy.

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:27 pm

Haven't had a lot of time with the MnM but I know my MD pretty well, and I don't think one encoder per step would be ideal at all there. With one encoder per step you'd have to assign which parameter to tweak - and then tweak. In grid record mode on the MD, however, you can access and affect any available parameter simply by holding down the key of the step you wish to change.
SPS-1 Manual wrote:-In GRID RECORD-
ING mode, hold a [TRIG] key and then tweak a parameter. The parameter adjusted will
be inverted on the LCD screen to indicate that it now is locked to the value you have set.
The corresponding <TRIG> LED will flash rapidly to indicate that a parameter is locked
for that step.

-In LIVE RECORDING mode, you can lock parameters by tweaking the knobs while
recording.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Bass Station 2

Post by cartesia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:04 pm

thanks for the explanation..
and I don't think one encoder per step would be ideal at all there. With one encoder per step you'd have to assign which parameter to tweak - and then tweak.
I find it works well.. you think of the whole track of a particular parameter, rather than thinking in steps - changing what you're doing is no more difficult than holding down a step button every time you want to change something - there is a button/encoder/whatever for switching between what the encoders are controlling.. so like..

push 'note' button - encoders all set the note.
push 'velocity' button - encoders all set the velocity.
push 'user assigned 1' or whatever it is called - same thing.

I guess it depends how you think about/visualise what you're doing - for me, it's not so much about setting the character of each step, as creating flowing, evolving movements of parameters - the way they change over time is more important to me than the setting of any particular step - so being able to edit a whole bar of a single parameter at a time works better for me than being able to set every parameter for a single step all at once...

prinsen
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blokey, MS10, Matrix-6, Kult, TR-808, Tokai Jazzbass, DIY modular + fx, amps and mics.

Post by prinsen » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:24 pm

cartesia wrote:for me, it's not so much about setting the character of each step, as creating flowing, evolving movements of parameters - the way they change over time is more important to me than the setting of any particular step - so being able to edit a whole bar of a single parameter at a time works better for me than being able to set every parameter for a single step all at once...
CTR-AL, CTR-8P or LIVE RECORDING mode are all good ways to create "flowing, evolving movements". Set one trig at the beginning of each bar and tweak that trig to make changes per bar. Use LIVE RECORDING mode to create evolving movement. Just ignore the recording part of LIVE RECORDING mode, and don't over do unless you want to make the glitchy stuff that everybody apparently hates.