Tom Oberheim Interview - Need Your Help

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Re: Tom Oberheim Interview - Need Your Help

Post by maindeglorie » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:07 am

nadafarms wrote:I think the reason that everyone wants to know if there will be TV and FV keyboards is because it will determine whether some of us will buy the drop in modules or the stand alone ones.

I would rather not buy a stand alone one if there indeed will be a TV or FV coming in the near future. I would pretty much buy a FV right now if I could. :D
Thank you Nada for clearing this up to some people who seem to think we are being "aggressive" or whatever.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:54 am

i wouldn't mind finding out what he really meant about the ob-8 sounding "too perfect" there seems to be debate over that one/

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:19 pm

tekkentool wrote:i wouldn't mind finding out what he really meant about the ob-8 sounding "too perfect" there seems to be debate over that one/
A more detailed answer than this?

"I think the early designs - the SEM, the OB-1, the OB-X, and the OB-Xa - have somewhat better sound than the OB-8 and the instruments that followed it. I think that's because the sound of the earlier designs is dirtier in subtle ways, and therefore seems to have more guts. The OB-8 is a more perfect design. The autotune routine tunes the oscillaters more perfectly. But the sound is clean...too clean." (Tom Oberheim on the Oberheim sound)

(Mark Vail: Vintage synthesizers)

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:54 pm

maindeglorie wrote:
nadafarms wrote:I think the reason that everyone wants to know if there will be TV and FV keyboards is because it will determine whether some of us will buy the drop in modules or the stand alone ones.

I would rather not buy a stand alone one if there indeed will be a TV or FV coming in the near future. I would pretty much buy a FV right now if I could. :D
Thank you Nada for clearing this up to some people who seem to think we are being "aggressive" or whatever.
Seeing I'm the one who mentioned it, you could've very easily directed that comment to me instead of referring to me as "some people" and I wouldn't have minded. :)
It was only my opinion and other's have their own and I will respect yours and theirs.

Nada, thank you for sharing your thoughts, that makes perfect sense to me.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:12 am

Nah man, it's a forum.
I'm not trying to point out any one individual personally. I hate when people have drama and s**t on forums; it's lame.
So hence I did not and won't direct it towards you.
It's all cool, point was made. Let's sail on! :-D

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:56 am

I couldn't agree with you more. I wish more people on forums felt the same way, thank you maindeglorie. :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

maindeglorie

Post by maindeglorie » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:59 pm

No need to thank! If enough of us act accordingly, maybe others will follow in line!

analogholic

Post by analogholic » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:39 pm

Could you ask him if if could make a modern polyphonic programmer with ALL the parameters of the SEM and autotune

Yeah, an outputmodule too!

Since I guess he´s more or less a "one man company", we could then maybe build our own 2/4/8-voice monsters by racking them if he won´t have the capacity to build complete systems. The SEM is already a fact. Probably would need some other stuff, but you get the idea. This would be the s**t !!!

Any reason why this "compromise" couldn´t happen?

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:47 pm

many older synths had a voice overflow mode that allowed you to chain multiple units together via MIDI. Each module would take the first note then pass the rest through to the MIDI out. Simple to do in software. The SEM should have that feature.

Other questions:
might not be something he would want to talk about but what brought the old company down?
I heard it was projects like the DPX sample player that was too expensive to make and took longer than planed to release.
I also remember hearing that they had stacks of OB-8's that would not sell. The market kind of dropped out when the $1995 DX7 came out.

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:49 pm

elmacaco wrote:I would love to hear him talk about the development of the Xpander and Matrix-12. Those synths are still unmatched in many ways and the team that worked on them must have been an amazing group.
That group of engineers became Fast Forward designs. They designed the Sound Designer II card for Digidesign, the ADAT and more for Alesis, then they formed Line 6 (Markus and Michel that is).