Official CV/Gate modification on the Little Phatty

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
polardark

Official CV/Gate modification on the Little Phatty

Post by polardark » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi,

I just found out about something that i've been waiting a long time for. Amos of Moog Music has apparently been making progress in putting CV and Gate outputs on the Little Phatty. Almost all the internal CV and Gate sources could be connected to an external socket using the method Amos had in mind.

The modification is made up of a small circuit board which is soldered to the LP mainboard. The bad part is that the modification requires surface mount soldering so it certainly isn't for everyone. It seems that Amos' intention is to have people to send in their LPs to the factory for modification. The initial guesses about the cost of this procedure land at $199 plus shipping.

The thread on the Moog Music Forums below:
http://www.moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6931

Pretty damn cool :)

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Re: Official CV/Gate modification on the Little Phatty

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:29 pm

This mod is now available for $199

CV outs for both envelopes, pitch, gate, and the mod bus...

Mod Bus CV output is past the mod wheel and amount controls, so you have realtime performance control of the modulation.

No field kit is yet available the unit must be sent in.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

hayadel

Post by hayadel » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:35 pm

I'm glad that people are already bringing up the idea of kits. I think that the 199 price/having to ship the unit is a little excessive, and is in line with my primary complaint about the LP in general. Does anyone know exactly what they are doing, i.e. does anyone have any schematics or tutorials on how to do the mod yourself? because Moog is being a bunch of fascists here...how can you make a semimodular synth and not expect a lot of your users to do the mods themselves
hayadel - P08/Matrix1000/YW7/LogicPro/LP

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:43 pm

hayadel wrote:Moog is being a bunch of fascists here
$199 is not excessive since it requires surface-mount soldering (not suitable for DIY).

Esp. since it will come back nice and neat with a warranty!
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:59 pm

It more or less counts out folk from outside the US though, given the high shipping costs for something the size & weight of the LP in a healthy amount of packing.

steveman

Post by steveman » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:27 pm

hayadel wrote:I'm glad that people are already bringing up the idea of kits. I think that the 199 price/having to ship the unit is a little excessive, and is in line with my primary complaint about the LP in general. Does anyone know exactly what they are doing, i.e. does anyone have any schematics or tutorials on how to do the mod yourself? because Moog is being a bunch of fascists here...how can you make a semimodular synth and not expect a lot of your users to do the mods themselves
Err, since when was the LP a Semi-modular? I see no patch points. As for the fascist comment .... [-X

polardark

Post by polardark » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:36 pm

The only major failing here is that Moog didn't think to include pin-through-hole solder points on the original circuit board of the LP. I think Amos and Moog are great to provide an upgrade like this even if the logistical concerns of shipping something like this from Sweden to the Moog factory is a bit prohibitive for me. I very much would like to have this upgrade done but if possible I would want to avoid shipping this heavy synthesizer over the Atlantic ocean.

Christopher Winkels
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Christopher Winkels » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:40 pm

steveman wrote:
hayadel wrote:I'm glad that people are already bringing up the idea of kits. I think that the 199 price/having to ship the unit is a little excessive, and is in line with my primary complaint about the LP in general. Does anyone know exactly what they are doing, i.e. does anyone have any schematics or tutorials on how to do the mod yourself? because Moog is being a bunch of fascists here...how can you make a semimodular synth and not expect a lot of your users to do the mods themselves
Err, since when was the LP a Semi-modular? I see no patch points. As for the fascist comment .... [-X
Yeah, calling Moog "fascist" is intellectually lazy and disingenuous. They are responding to the demand various customers voiced on the Moog Music forum. Although I doubt they're losing money performing these mods, it isn't like this is going to be a massive profit centre that funds a nationalist single-party authoritarian system of government. #-o

polardark

Post by polardark » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:37 pm

Now that i have learned that this CV/Gate upgrade does not support the fascist movement I am reluctant to give it my blessings.

Truly outrageous. :D

hayadel

Post by hayadel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:33 pm

I just find the LP lack of options so frustrating, and while the difficulty of mod-ing the unit at home is good point, I feel shipping it off and paying takes all the fun out of it for people who like to do this type of work. As for the fascist comment, I sincerely apologize for my poor understanding of fascism and for my blatant disregard of dialectic etiquette. I should have realized that a little snide adolescent venting is too completely outrageous an indulgence to be allowed.
hayadel - P08/Matrix1000/YW7/LogicPro/LP