emu rob papen beat garDen rom set for proteus

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Ninjabird

emu rob papen beat garDen rom set for proteus

Post by Ninjabird » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:28 pm

Might be making a purchase this week but wonDering what's it like, cant finD any Demos on the net, I'm a fan of papen's presets for sure but thought i woulD ask you guys,

thanks
J

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Re: emu rob papen beat garDen rom set for proteus

Post by balma » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Good set of sounds, but is a very specialized ROM, focused on:

Snares and claps.
Tambourines and shakers
some percussion effects.
Wooded basses, I mean, there are no FM basses ot too analog oriented, but natural guitar and picked basses
riff guitars: lots of arppegiated funky guitars. A couple of SUB basses with a hi fi low frequency., that can blow you speakers.
Some nice choir voices.

Is very acoustic and percussive. The samples are good, but, I was absolutely surprised, there are click noises on some of the samples.

Even myself could make a better sample edition, and take those horrible click noises at the beggining of some of the wood basses. The selection of sounds, is quite good, nice taste. They are not standard industry "GeneralMidi" samples, NO cheesy samples. There is a lot of originality on this ROM
There's a white effect noise very amazing btw....

the guy didn't have the time to program some decent arppegios.... the same arppegio pattern, for all the arp guitars.

You can love it or hate it, it depends a lot of your musical taste. There are no leads, or pulsating sounds. The "wave" samples are very good, lots of sine, square and saw samples very well selected.

And you won't look for snares, claps, fingerclicks and shakers any longer. You can find all of them on the Beat Garden, very clear and crispy
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Ninjabird

Post by Ninjabird » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:16 pm

great response balma thanks!

Just what i hopeD, was looking for an organic type sounDset leaving the roaring leaDs anD spiky basses asiDe, love wooDy bass, anD happy with the fact its original, a bit cheeky of me to refer to the rom for proteus series in the general synth section when im going for the 70 euro version for the free proteus xv softsampler but hey i got a quick response,
gonna go for it baseD on your recomenDation
thanks
J

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:54 pm

always welcome
What is most important, it gives you a new palette to your sound database

I mean, most of the roms, comes with the same congas, the same juno basses, that same hi hats, that you get on every single ROM you buy.

This one is different. I specially love the shakers, very very organic, anti-quantized sounds. There are also, two drummaps of crash and reverse cymbals great for bridges, and nice hi hats on mono and stereo
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:45 pm

What's the best one for single-cycle (or looping) waveforms for synthesis? X-Lead?

It's funny that picking about the modules costs about the same as the ROMs usually go for. Would be really good if someone could come up with some way of making them - FLASH SIMMs + USB burner or something. That would be great don't you think?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 pm

The construction yard Synth is a good one. Also the X-Lead, have a lot of Loop noises (around 70) on the percusion section of the internal waves.

Original ROMS come from time to time on sale on EBAY. But they are not profitable. FLASH simms are pretty expensive. they cost as much as the Ultra sampler itself.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Loop noises? Like looped 'noise' waveforms? That would be good yes.

The most useful things I think I are single cycle 'synth' waveforms though. A large variety of those would be best I reckon.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:37 pm

I strongly recommend browsing Ebay for the racks, instead the ROM themselves if you need some for your command station.

I have bought a couple of ROMS in this way, and get rid of the racks, they are not usable for me since I hate racks, and have two command stations already, so, I just take out the ROM and sold the module for a low price. Now my two command stations have 4 roms each one. they are infinite.

http://cgi.ebay.com/E-MU-Xtreme-Lead-1_ ... oards_MIDI?

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:07 am

I saw an orbit 3 module on e-bay 2 weeks or so ago. Both papen roms inside, construction yard techno synth and beat garden. Definately cheaper than the roms seperately.
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Hey balma or anyone who might know, I asked this question on the XL7 list already but -

- if you have the Protean Drums ROM have you ever noticed one of the lower Ab keys 'missing' from the P10 Saw wave? It's as if there's a one note gap in the mapping or something.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:54 pm

sorry, just wondering what's up with your D key

Ninjabird

Post by Ninjabird » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:16 pm

D key tis busteD, , neeD to get a replacement

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by balma » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:41 am

Hi here, ,
no intend to spam, actually had a lot of time with no posting,.,,
Have been around 17 years with the Emu Command Station. Currently have 3 units, only 1 fully working with 4 ROMS on board, and sounds designed during 15 year more or lesss using the following ROMx:
QRom, or Perfect Piano, comes with the Halo ROM crappy keyboard, so bought one cheap and place it on the Command Station.
Valuable ROM. Curiously, the synth says Emu-Ensoniq on the mother card, and it was one of the first romplers from Emu after Ensoniq died... it has waveform samples from the Fizmo transwaves..... and very iclassy drum kits.
Beat Gaden... most of the bass samples sound very clicky at the Amp Attack but there are many ways to reduce it with the engine, gold tom drums, such tasty and peculiar' stereo imaging on sdome of the samaes, they come mono, stereo, sounds like eighties wrrecked into modern dance today, talking heads kind stuff :D

and MP& and XL7 onboard ROMs, ...

The combination of these great sample selection concept from late 90is and early 2000s. across more than a decadfe of working with this fantastic, infinite instrument, have derivated in a concept ain a very peculiar sound palette that I wuld like to share,
many of these samples sound now very cheesy and did not aged very well, like the Oh,,, yeahhh, give me dat! and baby for hip hop from the MP7, but this is a mixture of around 3200 high quality samples, many of them from Emu libraries... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: combined witrh an eerie, and transmutable synthesis concept, the modulation matrix and the z-p;ane filters, plus the dynamic sequencer and his fucntional MIDI features to control other 2synths while sequencing its own sounds , gave me the idea to integrate it with an analog drum machine with its own beasty thing, DSI Tempest, and a 3rd option, a Korg Radias,, can't believe how good it can sound Korg, so crappy hardware, jitterin knobs, Radasd, can blast over the whole mix with a very very peculiar g spot it has with is digital emulation of analog and its arsenal of oversaturated noises,and digital enhancers, all together can be used in a single shitty waveform to expand the universe

All the tacks have the command station sequences and sound I have been slowly sculpting across time. I love this instrument, so much years on it, and I? feel lucky , I bought one with my eyes closed at ZZounds 18 years ago?
I just liked the orange color.

The track is a bled of all homemade patches using the 4 ROMs loaded in the Emu XL7, and synchronizing it with a DSI Tempest:

Caustica morning, the Emu has many random algorythms,, used in tricky ways , sending pink and white noises to volume and filters in different amunts for each wave inside a preset, and then controlling the amount of the pink, white and many other random variables with predictable knob variations, to perform delicious insect crawling stuff.,
Hail the Command Station's gritty side:

I like this one very much, It has like a fairy feeling, and I absolutely love how much great voice sounds you can design with the Commanf Station and iits dedicated voice Zplane filters...
this is like a martini with a cherry after the previous tracks>

You can go so twisted or so classy, so eighties, the Emu is the main ingredient, Now I'm old and I used so many synths during last decade, and will not trade mine, to be specific- I' would not trade the one with the 4 ROMS and years of sound design on his 512 user locations...

this one is a single patch of the command station, not a sequence arrangement, but a solo with patch created with 12 waveforms, using the link function, and hard work on the knob programming,m allowing me to bring on and off different instruments and textures:

Hope you enjoy and hail the E-mu Command Stations! :D

iphoenix

Post by iphoenix » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:50 am

Good to see you back Balma, 'king of the Command station' ! long time .

thanks for the tracks, look forward to listening when I get some time..

Love the Emus , Ultra Proteus, XL7 & E5000 here ( would like an Emax but rare & expensive in this part of the world)