What Was the Most Organic Sounding Synth Ever Released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Primal Drive

Re: What Was the Most Organic Sounding Synth Ever Released?

Post by Primal Drive » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:24 am

HideawayStudio wrote:
Primal Drive wrote:Organic sounding? Wow, in all my 800 years of being the Jug-eye master to female Padawans I've never come across this question.

By organic do you mean as in being able to replicate the sounds of a living creature's digestive system (or perhaps coming closet to producing the mythical brown note)?

Or did you mean "orgasmic", as in, "Man, I haven't had a gf/bf in 5 years, but playing this new synth of mine is better than sex"?

Don't mind me. My mind's just a little off kilter. :twisted:
What the h**l are you guys on? :)
You don't want to know. 8)

Aside from that, I just find the adjective a tad odd to be applied to synthesizers (aside from the definition pertaining to a systematic arraignment of parts resulting in a complete structure).

Lately, I've noticed the word "organic" has been misused to describe an analog quality to the sound of a particular synth. As warm and pleasing the sound is from a drifty old synth I've never associated it with a living organism. That's just weird.

Or perhaps I'm behind the times and there exists a new fetish: synthiality?

This old world grows weirder day by day. :shock:

:lol:
And then she said, "What the f...?"

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Primal Drive wrote:
Lately, I've noticed the word "organic" has been misused to describe an analog quality to the sound of a particular synth. As warm and pleasing the sound is from a drifty old synth I've never associated it with a living organism. That's just weird.

Or perhaps I'm behind the times and there exists a new fetish: synthiality?

This old world grows weirder day by day. :shock:

:lol:
:) The term "organic" has been used in describing art for a very long time. The following is one of many definitions of the word organic in the dictionary:

"Fine Arts. of or pertaining to the shapes or forms in a work of art that are of irregular contour and seem to resemble or suggest forms found in nature."

It doesn't take much imagination to see why some into electronic music have used to the term to similarly discribe the sound of some synths and the music made with them.

As AG has suggested , I also attribute an organic nature to be the result of non-precise and non-time related synth stages such as free running VCOs, VCAs, analog FX, and analog frequency dividers (pentode Phantastron monostables as in the case of the Novachord!).

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:20 pm

well, first thing that comes to mind is surely the CS-80? or that oddball yamaha synth that they only made like 10 or so of (GX1?) the one with its own speaker system and all?

Arturo00
Gear: @}-,-`-
Band: Hard Science

Post by Arturo00 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:27 pm

I can get some pretty sweet organ sounds out of my JP-4 in sawtooth and minimal resonance... ;)
Haves: SCI Prophet 5 rev3.3 Moog Multimoog Roland Jupiter4, Juno60, RE201, SH101, TR707, TR808, TR909 Korg Polysix, Poly 800 II, Kaosillator Hammond L112, X5 w/ Leslie 760 Paia Fatman Casio VL-Tone, SK1 Gakken SX-150

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Not the most organic Synth ever released, but the Jupiter-4 is one of the most organic sounding single osc poly's ever released. Largely due to the really warm and raw filter, and even more to do with the 4 VCO's never being perfectly in tune.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:40 pm

Hmm..
*thinking for a bit*

Got it:

The Mellotron

..and it's unreliable poop-brown step-brother (step-father? :lol: ): the Optigan
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:31 am

for me it's definetely the SSM version of Prophet 5. yes, even next to discrete boards i got, its far out. it really, really is alive. followed by discrete Oberheims/Arps/old moogs, and Yamaha IG-chip based CS50/60/80.

even tho i love em and cherish their sound for what it is, but as far as organic character, CEM machines like OBXA/OB8 ain't even in the same ballpark.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

masyst
Gear: 5 gears + reverse

Post by masyst » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:48 pm

The Most Organic Sounding Synth ever released, has to be a Korg Triton with the MOSS-expansion...
Oh wait, MOSS don't mean Most Organic Sounding Synth?

A sampler with analogue filters would be organic sounding (I think)
A synthesizer will be for you what you want it to be...

forange
Gear: Korg MS-20
Arp Odyssey
Jomox Sunsyn
Hohner Pianet N
Korg 770
Siel Orchestra
Chroma Polaris
Lastgasp Yongo
Lastgasp Green Monster
SND Filterbank

Post by forange » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:45 pm

Is this the tread where we come to the conclusion, that
imperfection is the way to go, but we all buy gear that behaves
perfect?

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:59 pm

Quite right. It's the ancient gear that's a pain in the a*s to use that has usually has the so-called organic quality. For me, it's often the synths that use divide-down that sound organic. I'm thinking of the Korg PS synths here, particularly the 3200 and 3300. There's something quite magical about those old beasts; it's a sound you can't get from anything else (a bit like the Mellotron), like it sneaked in from a different world of music.

What do you call the guy who did the serious Novachord restoration and posted the whole process online? He did some audio clips too. That thing sounded amazing.

Musicians and artists alike have hijacked the word 'organic', but we all know what we mean by it...
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:07 pm

Mr Rich wrote:For me, it's often the synths that use divide-down that sound organic. I'm thinking of the Korg PS synths here, particularly the 3200 and 3300. There's something quite magical about those old beasts; it's a sound you can't get from anything else (a bit like the Mellotron), like it sneaked in from a different world of music.
Good grief. Welcome back. 8)

My 34-year old Roland RS-101 is the most wonderfully thick sounding thing I have - a divide-down stringer, with a separate wave-shaper for each key, very limited control and a sound that nothing else I have could possibly achieve.

Of course, it's broken, and has been since I bought it, and even after I fixed it last summer it was still broken. Yesterday I fixed it again, and it broke more. But the two octaves I have at the moment sound pretty good, beneath the noise. :lol:

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:09 pm

EMS Synthi-A and VCS3
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

retrosounds

Post by retrosounds » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:39 pm

"Imagination is priceless"

"I bless the rains down in Africa"

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:01 pm

You know this question can't be answered and it doesn't even qualify for a Zen koan. :wink:

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 pm

Mr Rich wrote:Quite right. It's the ancient gear that's a pain in the a*s to use that has usually has the so-called organic quality. For me, it's often the synths that use divide-down that sound organic. I'm thinking of the Korg PS synths here, particularly the 3200 and 3300. There's something quite magical about those old beasts; it's a sound you can't get from anything else (a bit like the Mellotron), like it sneaked in from a different world of music.

What do you call the guy who did the serious Novachord restoration and posted the whole process online? He did some audio clips too. That thing sounded amazing.

Musicians and artists alike have hijacked the word 'organic', but we all know what we mean by it...
:) Phil Cirocco.... or ARP god!... or fellow owner with an example to seriously put mine to shame! :)