What Was the Most Organic Sounding Synth Ever Released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Re: What Was the Most Organic Sounding Synth Ever Released?

Post by hageir » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:25 am

What?
That organic girl in the room?
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm not familiar with all the synths ever released so I can't make that judgement. I can say, for me it was the Arp 2600.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:43 am

Does organic simply refer to a synth that has oscillators that never stay in tune? Why do we use the word "organic" to describe this? There's nothing organic about electronic components, particularly when these components are used to synthesise an outcome. I suspect we all have our own varying opinions of exactly what "organic" means when referring to electronic music synthesisers, there's no clear technical definition as far as I'm aware.

But if we have to use this word for lack of a better term, then I don't thik everyone could possibly agree on an answer to this question. Our brains all interpret sounds in slightly different ways and we are swayed in our opinions by what we find pleasing to our ears and what we find irritating. Just because someone says that x synth is the most organic they've ever heard, doesn't mean that you're going to like it.

Sorry if I sound a bit uppity about this, but it's always seemed such a vacuous term to me.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:32 pm

I think I understood exactly what the the OP was getting at.

If I set up an Arp 2600 to make 'Primeval Jungle' sounds, and I hear all the chirpings and ambience of an ever changing jungle forest, than that's pretty organic. Try it and see...
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:35 am

There is nothing less helpful than the blurring of long-standing and well-used synthesizer-related adjectives.

Terms like "fat" and "organic" do have very specific meanings which are not particularly subjective... they only appear to be subjective when more and more people use them inaccurately.

A lot of people are unaware of the fact that early synths had a different sound than later synths... and that sound was very warm, expressive, and most importantly included variation which lent the synths a sound which was much more like an acoustic instrument than the electronic instruments which came later. When a person is describing a synth as "organic," they are basically saying that it sounds (as much as it can) like an acoustic instrument.
The less ICs and more linear wiring a synthesizer contains, the more acoustic-sounding it is likely to be... which is why people are so excited by discrete (like actual discrete, not just non-digital) electronics.

The subjectivity comes in when different people's perception of sound come into play. Not everyone has heard or played synths which are actually organic sounding and compared them to other synths. So, it's possible to have a theoretical understanding of the definition and interpret the sound based upon this theoretical understanding instead of direct experience (the difference between "organic sounding" in an actual sense and "organic sounding to me"). When this happens, it makes it seem like no one can agree on what the term means. (this is not to say that these people are wrong, per se, either... just that their experience may not be as broad)
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:41 am

Party is over guys...AG is here. :lol:

AG is like the drunk guy that shows up and everyone scrambles away from except he isn't drunk and doesn't curse.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:50 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:Party is over guys...AG is here. :lol:

AG is like the drunk guy that shows up and everyone scrambles away from except he isn't drunk and doesn't curse.
Who says I'm not f**k drunk?

Zhou knoww what, RH? C'mere.
Yourr are a great fhriend, zhou knoww that?
I love you, man.
:::stumbles:::
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:54 pm

AG is always drunk.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:01 am

Joey wrote:AG is always drunk.
It's medicine!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:34 am

Some one posted this on Muffwiggler, probably the most organic to do imitative synthesis.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:05 pm

CZ Rider wrote:Some one posted this on Muffwiggler, probably the most organic to do imitative synthesis.
Wow, that camera shutter and chain saw was off the hook
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:43 pm

Sir Nose wrote:
CZ Rider wrote:Some one posted this on Muffwiggler, probably the most organic to do imitative synthesis.
Wow, that camera shutter and chain saw was off the hook

yeah.
synthesize that with your synthesizer!
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:48 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:There is nothing less helpful than the blurring of long-standing and well-used synthesizer-related adjectives.

Terms like "fat" and "organic" do have very specific meanings which are not particularly subjective... they only appear to be subjective when more and more people use them inaccurately.

A lot of people are unaware of the fact that early synths had a different sound than later synths... and that sound was very warm, expressive, and most importantly included variation which lent the synths a sound which was much more like an acoustic instrument than the electronic instruments which came later. When a person is describing a synth as "organic," they are basically saying that it sounds (as much as it can) like an acoustic instrument.
The less ICs and more linear wiring a synthesizer contains, the more acoustic-sounding it is likely to be... which is why people are so excited by discrete (like actual discrete, not just non-digital) electronics.

The subjectivity comes in when different people's perception of sound come into play. Not everyone has heard or played synths which are actually organic sounding and compared them to other synths. So, it's possible to have a theoretical understanding of the definition and interpret the sound based upon this theoretical understanding instead of direct experience (the difference between "organic sounding" in an actual sense and "organic sounding to me"). When this happens, it makes it seem like no one can agree on what the term means. (this is not to say that these people are wrong, per se, either... just that their experience may not be as broad)
As a response to the above, the word "organic" as applied to analog synthesizers means that there is subtle moving artifacts in the sound that are not attributable to explicitly applied modifiers such as LFOs, envelope generators, detuning, etc.. The word "organic" connotes a living organism, and the connection is that living organisms are capable of movement without explicitly applied forces (modifiers) such as wind, gravity, heat, etc....

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:24 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:The less ICs and more linear wiring a synthesizer contains, the more acoustic-sounding it is likely to be... which is why people are so excited by discrete (like actual discrete, not just non-digital) electronics.
Ah but are you talking about the discrete as in no ICs or real discrete where each section of the synth (VCO, VCF, etc) is on its own board with its own connection to the power supply?

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:40 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:The less ICs and more linear wiring a synthesizer contains, the more acoustic-sounding it is likely to be... which is why people are so excited by discrete (like actual discrete, not just non-digital) electronics.
Ah but are you talking about the discrete as in no ICs or real discrete where each section of the synth (VCO, VCF, etc) is on its own board with its own connection to the power supply?
That isn't the definition Walter Sear gives "discrete."
Why would it be about power source? According to what I've heard for years, it's about a linear path between components.