SSM Chips. Are they compatible with each other?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

SSM Chips. Are they compatible with each other?

Post by hageir » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:44 pm

I have a Siel DK-600 (that thing is so monstrous and HUGE sounding, the windows in my room shake when I play it!).

It has SSM chips (oscs, filters and some others),
Although I love the sound of them, I'm just curious about one thing; would it be possible to swap them for other SSM chips from the same "line"?

The DK-600 has, for example, SSM2044 VCF's and the Prophet 5 (Rev. 1/2) has SSM2040's..
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

steveman

Re: SSM Chips. Are they compatible with each other?

Post by steveman » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:36 am

Highly unlikely. They'll likely use different component values to acheive the end results, you could end up damaging them if you don't know what you're doing. Not a good idea given their scarcity.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:00 am

short answer: NOPE.

it is possible to make 2050 behave like a 2056, with some sml mod. or was it other way arround. but in a modular setting (not in a mcahine with memory and multiplexers), don't remember anymore.

however everything else is pretty much different design. for example 2040 is basically a state variable filter (i.e. multimode) capable of 12 and 24dB/Oct slopes, based on original Oberheim design. otoh 2044 is a ladder design. 2045 is similar but incorporates a VCA. etc.. etc..

u have to use the originals: 2031, 2024, 2044, 2056. the last two are fairly common and easy to find on eBay etc. but 2031 may pose a serious problem. i've never ever seen one for sale NOS. unless taken out from a dead machine.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:11 am

Do you have a source of SSM 2040's we should know about?

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:15 am

hageir wrote:I have a Siel DK-600 (that thing is so monstrous and HUGE sounding, the windows in my room shake when I play it!).

It has SSM chips (oscs, filters and some others),
Although I love the sound of them, I'm just curious about one thing; would it be possible to swap them for other SSM chips from the same "line"?

The DK-600 has, for example, SSM2044 VCF's and the Prophet 5 (Rev. 1/2) has SSM2040's..
One of the reasons you can´t swap those chips right away is that they´re not pin-compatible, unlike opamps for general use. The main PCBs have to be designed speciffically to house the chips and their surrounding components. If you got curious from reading the Juno and OB-X mods, have in mind the swapping was possible due to the daughterboards that were installed for the purpose.
And you have to take into account the availability. The 2044 was manufactured until the 90s and there are still lots out there. The 2040 is ultra-rare. I don´t recall any synth that used it except the Audigy, the early Prophets and the Kobol. I´ve seen pull-offs going for a hefty price on Ebay.
Herrare umanum est.

justinvm

Post by justinvm » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:54 pm

Any idea how many 2044's are around? They sound fantastic.
Would love to design a synth using them

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm

You can get 2044s from HK dealers on Ebay. They sell by the lots of 2, 6, 10 and even 50! And for a good price. So far I´ve bought around 10 chips and all of them work.
There were rumours about the chips being pull-offs with polished pins but really, for a pack of 50, from which synths are they pulling the chips off? Polysixes, PPGs, Fairlights, Emulators, Drumulators? 8)
Herrare umanum est.