Waldorf Blofeld... The Little Wonder Synth of The Decade!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Waldorf Blofeld... The Little Wonder Synth of The Decade!

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:44 pm

After a few months of ownership I can hand on heart say this thing is a truly amazing synth for money! After what must be over 10 years of manufacturers putting out countless tedious virtual analogs and S+S Romplers I 'm totally gobsmacked at the sheer expanse of sound stage and the width of palette this tiny box of tricks can muster up.

I bought this thing by chance more than anything else and it just keeps on amazing me. It goes so much further than VA thanks to it's wavesequencing and this in conjunction with brilliant filters, modulation options galore and a great apeggiator mean that the great FX are there to put the icing on the cake rather than simply swamping it in sweetness like so many modern synths. The Blofeld is capable of sounds ranging from extremely wide, deep and evolving/responsive timbres to speaker destroying industrial harshness.

If you are at all sceptical then I urge you to go and have a proper play with one of these little beasts remembering that this thing is cheaper than many decent second hand synths and is built like a tank to boot.

12/10 for Waldorf on this fine effort - it really isn't that often these days that something impresses and excites me as much as this baby... Well Done Waldorf! :D

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Waldorf Blofeld... The Little Wonder Synth of The Decade!

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:22 pm

Yeah, I'm getting one asap. Wonderful box.

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:39 pm

Yeah, the value-for-money on this one is exceptional. I still think it would be a good deal for twice the price (not true of too many synths!).

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:51 pm

I held back, got bothered about bugs with the o/s. I guess they're not that big an issue then?
Stephen(2)

Otoroko Heavy Industries
Band: Wolf424/The Republic of Desire

Post by Otoroko Heavy Industries » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:13 am

stephen wrote:I held back, got bothered about bugs with the o/s. I guess they're not that big an issue then?
They were for early adopters, it's stableish now. Where is my VST editor, Waldorf?

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:21 am

I've had about four days with mine and all I've done really is gloss over the presets and edit one or two of them. Set up the LFO+PWM on a wavetable, throw on the delay and reverb, dim the lights and proceed to get seriously mellow. I think this one's a keeper. It seems to do so many things so well, and right now (because of the super-cheap open box specials from Novamusik) second-hand prices are sub-$400.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:05 am

Sounds good, Blofeld's back on the radar then!
Stephen(2)

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:04 am

most of the remaining bugs are with multimode - dont expect to be using multimode in a live setting where you cant deal with sticking notes/freezing synths / etc..
It's ok most of the time, but sometimes messes up. - you might get through a show fine, but you would be taking a risk.

Single mode is pretty much sorted though..

And waldorf have said they're working on a new update now for the blofeld.. finally.. after leaving us waiting while they went and released largo and provided updates for that.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:55 am

cartesia wrote:most of the remaining bugs are with multimode - dont expect to be using multimode in a live setting where you cant deal with sticking notes/freezing synths / etc..
Pity that that's the only time I'd want to use multimode. :) I always record everything monotimbrally (if that's a real word), so I can EQ/mix/process each voice separately.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:41 pm

It obviously won't please everyone as different people use it for different things but for me its unreal! I kept getting the gas for synths even after buying it but since I got a Mopho I really have not looked for anything new synth wise since. I cover pretty much everything I need with the synths I have and the Blofeld is what I use 80% of the time! still love it although the random patch bug is still at large.

If I buy another synth in the near future it will be the blofeld keyboard version!

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:59 pm

Isn't there a serious bug with the delay effect as well?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:06 pm

How do you compare it with your Microwave XT?

I'll get one of them: either the Microwave or the Blofeld, before december.

What makes me hesitate purchasing the blofeld, is the lack of controls on it. How do you handle such depth features with this hardware:

is it intuitive, or a pain in the a*s to program?

I vote for the XT in this moment... I have seen a couple on $500 on Ebay....

here you definitly have something to "tweak about it" :
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:30 pm

I have both. I like the Microwave XT much better.
I like the knobs and simpler user interface of the XT. It has some pretty crazy stuff in the mod matrix. I like the 8 stage envelopes.
My biggest complaint with the Blofeld, and something that keeps me from using it, is that you can't adjust the volume while it's playing. The volume pot gets ignored while it's playing which is a major issue for me and the way I use gear.
The Blofeld sounds really nice. Not better than an XT but different for sure.
The user interface is good for the limited controls but it's not 'fun' to tweek where as the XT is fun to tweek.
I could lose the Blofeld and not miss it. If I lost the XT, it would be at the top of my replace it list.

my 2 cents

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:55 pm

XpanderXt wrote:I have both. I like the Microwave XT much better.
I like the knobs and simpler user interface of the XT. It has some pretty crazy stuff in the mod matrix. I like the 8 stage envelopes.
My biggest complaint with the Blofeld, and something that keeps me from using it, is that you can't adjust the volume while it's playing. The volume pot gets ignored while it's playing which is a major issue for me and the way I use gear.
The Blofeld sounds really nice. Not better than an XT but different for sure.
The user interface is good for the limited controls but it's not 'fun' to tweek where as the XT is fun to tweek.
I could lose the Blofeld and not miss it. If I lost the XT, it would be at the top of my replace it list.

my 2 cents
KNOBS.... [-o<

That's the point. I lost a Microwave XT (with only 2 months of use) during an earthquake 4 years ago.

A lava lamp broke over it, spilling hot water and wax all over the Microwave.... f**k!

Since that day, I sleep 7 hours. The other sleepping hour, I use it to think on my lost microwave.

Tried to replace it with the MicroQ, but I hate microQ's interface.

honestly, I hate the synths with less than 6 knobs (without including the volume or input knob).

Having on board controls on my synths, is almost a must for me. Maybe have some trauma with one of my first synths, a Yamaha W7,wich has NO knobs, and only 1 slider. I wanna vomit.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:58 pm

XpanderXt wrote:My biggest complaint with the Blofeld, and something that keeps me from using it, is that you can't adjust the volume while it's playing. The volume pot gets ignored while it's playing which is a major issue for me and the way I use gear.
Really?

I doubt this would be a big issue for many people. If that is the case you could use a volume pedal or a knob on a controller to adjust the volume.

Don't know about a bug with the delay effect, I think it's OK. There is still a slight issue with syncing to external MIDI clock which might be what you've heard, sometimes when you change patches it needs 'prompting' by changing a synced parameter. It's known about and I'm sure this is something they will fix.