Waldorf Blofeld... The Little Wonder Synth of The Decade!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
masstronaut

Re: Waldorf Blofeld... The Little Wonder Synth of The Decade!

Post by masstronaut » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:39 pm

Yeah but Depeche Mode are s**t.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:41 pm

nu-tellar wrote:oh go, i we going to get this thread going or what. otto already brought up the virus again blofeld, question to my understanding. i also would like to know, how much much more can it bring to the table if, you already got a virus.
its it worth having it just for the way table. if iam concidering getting a virtual analog, would the blofeld do just find. or it see better. the virus ti. [-o<
I'd say no, the blofeld doesnt offer much that the virus doesnt already have outside of the modifiers, better FM implementation, and Comb Filters. You would be better off getting a micro Q, same matrix style interface, half the price, and same features as the blofeld (minus the wavetables, which you have in the virus TI). The access and waldorf wavetables do sound different, but there is quite a bit of overlap
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:50 pm

masstronaut wrote:Yeah but Depeche Mode are s**t.

I'll find you
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:20 pm

Oh one more thing I should add, the older waldorf gear has permanent polyphony, an XT will always have 10 voices, a Q always 16. and a micro Q always 25. whereas the blofeld's voices drop if you use the wavetables or samples.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:13 am

Joey, this isn't the Buyer's Guide, it's a thread praising the Blofeld.
It's a fantastic synth. Waldorf has made quite a few of those, and this is the one you can buy new at the moment.
virb.com/ookpikk

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:44 am

Joey wrote:Oh one more thing I should add, the older waldorf gear has permanent polyphony, an XT will always have 10 voices, a Q always 16. and a micro Q always 25. whereas the blofeld's voices drop if you use the wavetables or samples.

Yes, this is true.. but the fact that the blofeld can only do some voices of wavetables, should be compared to the fact that the microQ can do NO wavetable stuff at all.. The reason the voices are dynamic is so that wavetables and sample playback are even possible at all - if the microQ had extra features, it would have to give up voices for them as well.

The XT is a much more expensive synth, but the same would apply if you wanted increased functionality.. there's no way they would put a more powerful DSP in the synth than they actually needed (or conversely, there's no way they would leave unused DSP power unused)

so to increase features on the same DSP, they would cut back on voices..

Now they could have made a much more powerful blofeld, but it would have cost alot more.. obviously they wanted to hold a specific price point... so you have a choice.

You could have a constant number of voices, but no wavetables or sampling.. or you can have dynamic voice assignment... The synths price is pretty set - they pretty much have to be cheaper than the virus snow by a significant amount.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:25 am

GeneralBigbag wrote:Joey, this isn't the Buyer's Guide, it's a thread praising the Blofeld.
It's a fantastic synth. Waldorf has made quite a few of those, and this is the one you can buy new at the moment.
:) Absolutely.... actually it's a shame most of them aren't still on sale. For the third time I'd gladly have the whole Waldorf lineup but the Blofeld is about affordability vs performance. I adore my old microWave I for it's crunchy sound into analog filters - it is a very different beast to my Blofeld and I like them all the more for that.

To me all of the Waldorfs appear to have some common features. They all seem to have extremely fast envelopes and are capable of generating very harsh, nasty, metallic and cutting sounds. As a consequence they all seem to click and distort without a moments hesitation. It's almost like everything Yamaha and Roland spend years removing whilst polishing their sound is present in the Waldorf's - because they wanted it to be there :)

It's for all of the above reasons that there will always be a place for Waldorf gear in my studio as they offer balance to my super smooth Roland and Yamaha gear. :)

I'm quite into playing with nasty/noisy/crunchy/distorted sounds at the moment - I've noticed that many pop artists are revisiting the "BitPop" sound at the moment - the new La Roux album sounds like it was made on a SIDstation! I adore that sound - it reminds me when Daft Punk were all the rage with their 8 bit, aliased to h**l, thing.

pneuman
Gear: Yamaha CS2X
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by pneuman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:06 am

Joey wrote:Oh one more thing I should add, the older waldorf gear has permanent polyphony, an XT will always have 10 voices, a Q always 16. and a micro Q always 25. whereas the blofeld's voices drop if you use the wavetables or samples.
I thought the microQ's polyphony was variable just like the Blofeld's -- like the Blofeld its spec sheet on the Waldorf site says "up to 25 voices". On the Blofeld, a bunch of things can affect the polyphony -- not just whether you're using wavetables or samples, but also the number of oscillators and filters you're using, the types of filters (I think the comb filters impact things more than the other types), and the number and type of effects used -- so I figured the microQ would be the same.

I actually really like the dynamic polyphony as a feature. There's a fair bit of power in there, so I don't know if it'd even be possible to push it to the point of having less than 10 voices of polyphony, at least without using unison mode. It would be neat if there was a feature that let you know how many voices a given patch should be capable of, though, just to take the uncertainty out of things

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:01 pm

I'm not trying to knock the blofeld, I think its a great synth, I'm just pointing out the differences here. The blofeld is a different synth with a different sound but similar features, so its easy to confuse what makes it a better or worse decision in relation to the other waldorf synths.

but no, the micro Q always has 25 voices. (or 75 if you expand it)

and I need to get another micro Q... that thing sounded so f**k good. Maybe I'll go with a full blown Q this time around....

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:51 pm

Joey wrote:but no, the micro Q always has 25 voices. (or 75 if you expand it)
That wasn't my understanding.

Polyphony on the Q is constant, but not on the micro AFAIK.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:05 am

masstronaut wrote:
Joey wrote:but no, the micro Q always has 25 voices. (or 75 if you expand it)
That wasn't my understanding.

Polyphony on the Q is constant, but not on the micro AFAIK.

there is always the possibility that I could be wrong, but from my experiences in owning one I never noticed a drop

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Another thing that drew me to the Blofeld instead of an XT or Micro Q is that it's really small. I'm kinda like JSRockIt in that aspect. The form factor was important. I can set the Blofeld and the Mopho together on top of my MIDI controller.

I've messed with it a little more. This is one where there's so many presets that it's kinda hard to get through them. I like to make notes on the ones I like and don't like so I can write over the ones I don't like. It seems that it's geared for different music than I make (mostly prog/Berlin school), but the sound is definitely there. I won't have the same troubles you guys have had with multi mode and such since I doubt I'll be sequencing it or doing multis. I'm boring like that.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:23 am

Joey, the Micro Q's polyphony IS variable, it can be stripped down to 4 notes with very complex sounds (75 voices expansion would probably suffer less from this) and the machine HAS 2 wavetables on board, thing that lets you have "5" oscs for voice [selecting a wavetable for osc 1 and/or osc 2 enables two squarewave suboscs] . You can see the wavetables' content in this link here, as well as the waveforms. http://www.see.ed.ac.uk/~ctr/qwaves/index.html
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Joey » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:33 am

I know it has the 2 alt wavetables, I owned it. I never noticed a polyphony drop however, but like i said, i could be wrong.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:30 pm

I bought it the day it came out for the multimode and it was s**t, so I got rid of it... but I'm surprised to hear that it still isn't great... too bad.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad