Doepfer dark energy

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Doepfer dark energy

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm

Anyone check one of these out? Or did I miss something already? Just ordered one from Thomann - looks amazing! I'm really excited about getting a great analogue mono synth again. :D
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

mattio
Band: Soft System

Re: Doepfer dark energy

Post by mattio » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:40 am

Yes, I have one. I preordered it directly from Doepfer in July and had to wait for their second production line to get done. I think it´s a great little synth. It has a lot of stuff going for it for a one osc. synth, and a lot of kool feautres that I haven´t seen before such as high,low and medium settings for both LFO´s and the ADSR range, great stuff. The only two things I miss are noise and portamento although there may be ways to get some of this done with some patching for all I know, I´m not too big on modular thinking yet. Big compliments on the filter, I really like it. The DE kind of reminds me of my old MS10 in some ways and it even has some simple but very usable modular options as well. It makes great bass and vintage lead sounds very easyily.

If you haven´t seen it already, the fine people at SonicState have a good review of it here;
http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2009/07/ ... nthesizer/

Let us know what you think when it arrives :)

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:02 am

Sounds very good. A friend of mine has an ms10 I'v fooled arround with a bit and it was partly the simularity that attracted me. I havn't been super keen on things like the mopho, but this thing just stinks of cool old analogue. Glad to hear the bass sound is good. I was also interested in patching another sound source into the input before the filter. Thanks! I'm kind of dribbling now - in a synth GAS sort of way!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

mattio
Band: Soft System

Post by mattio » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:15 am

No problem, keep dribbling you are in for a treat. This is a great little synth I´m really happy with mine.

Kraig0078

Post by Kraig0078 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:40 am

I picked one of these up a couple weeks ago and I must say im really impressed. This thing sounds better than I thought it would. It has a really fat sound and can sound vintage or modern. The pwm really adds movement to the oscillator and gives it a great sound. My only real gripes is the lack of portamento and the fact that you have to hit the tiny midi learn button everytime you fire it up to use it with midi but those are minor things really. processing drums and other synths through it is really nice and has yielded some great results.
Synths:Prophet 08,Prodigy,Mono/Poly,Juno 106
DX 21,Micro Q
Drums:X Base 09,MPC 1000,Battery 3

RedElectricMoon

Post by RedElectricMoon » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:11 pm

I thought you could use Moog CP251 and connect it's Lag out signal with Doepfer's VCO F input to achieve portamento. I've never worked wih CV signal so could someone informed confirm this?

kayvon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by kayvon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:06 am

Whoops, my finger slipped and I bought one of these from Thomann, if I get on with it two of the things connected together could be an interesting prospect.

Four for a poly is a bit too much bother imo what with matching parameters and all but two could make a nice 2 osc/two voice synth that should be fairly manageable.