New patches for Roland JX-8P !

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: New patches for Roland JX-8P !

Post by madtheory » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:35 am

PG-8X has them in it. I think you can save them as sysex?

Peopleunderthesun
Gear: Minimoog, Polymoog, Prophet 5, Composer, Multiman, Jx10 with Vecoven modifications, D50, Emax II HD, Dx7 MkI Supermax, MPC 5000
Band: People Under The Sun

Post by Peopleunderthesun » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:35 am

Very cool, thank you

colmon

Post by colmon » Sun May 01, 2016 5:19 am

madtheory wrote:PG-8X has them in it. I think you can save them as sysex?
Yes you can, thanks for the tip off.

mjmaguire

Post by mjmaguire » Thu May 05, 2016 3:32 am

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

The JX-8P was used liberally on Propaganda's album "A Secret Wish"
Does anyone know where I can find those sounds?

desmond

Post by desmond » Thu May 05, 2016 1:49 pm

mjmaguire wrote:The JX-8P was used liberally on Propaganda's album "A Secret Wish"
I think you'll find that was the Jupiter-8, not the JX8P...

mjmaguire

Post by mjmaguire » Fri May 06, 2016 1:05 am

desmond wrote:
mjmaguire wrote:The JX-8P was used liberally on Propaganda's album "A Secret Wish"
I think you'll find that was the Jupiter-8, not the JX8P...
No. Unequivocally a JX-8P. One of Trevor Horns favorites.
"I still have my Roland JX-8P too - love that as well" " "I'm a factory presets guy - I hardly have the time now to work with a synthesiser, although back in the Dollar days I used to work all the kit then."

So, back to the question at hand. Does anyone know where I can find the JX-8P sounds that Trevor Horn used on Propaganda's "A Secret Wish" album?

Thanks

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri May 06, 2016 9:45 am

mjmaguire wrote:No. Unequivocally a JX-8P. One of Trevor Horns favorites.
"I still have my Roland JX-8P too - love that as well" " "I'm a factory presets guy - I hardly have the time now to work with a synthesiser, although back in the Dollar days I used to work all the kit then."
Sure, he may well have had one at some point, doesn't mean it was used on this album.
It's an all-time favourite album of mine, I'm fascinated by the production on it, and I've read/consumed all I can about the making of.

Trevor Horn didn't produce it, Steve Lipson did - it was basically made by Steve Lipson, and Andy Richards, in terms of the synths and production. It was also virtually done pre-MIDI.

I've never seen any reference ever to a JX-8P used on that, whereas I've read/seen them talk about the synths they used quite a bit. Eg, the bassline on Dr Mabuse was a Jupiter 8, the wonderful opening choir pads on "Dream Within A Dream" are the PPG (you can download the Waveterm factory library online, that choir sample is there).

Also, "A Secret Wish" was *released* in 1985, and the JX-8P was also released in the UK in 1985, making it more unlikely that that synth was used in the production of the album.

--

Michael Mertens:

And what of the past - what was behind the sounds that amazed and confused in the mid-'80s?

"In 1984, when we did 'Dr Mabuse', we had a Fairlight Series II" reveals Mertens. "But everything was all pre-SMPTE then. We had a code on tape and every time we had to start the tape from the beginning and hope that it would catch up. There were always these moments: everything had been programmed, everybody's brain was gone, we'd be hoping that this was the take, and the tape wouldn't pick up. Those were the days. Then MIDI came along and made life much more easy for us.

"Next I bought a PPG 2.3 system with a Waveterm which I still use. It's still eight-bit sampling, I never upgraded it to the Waveterm B because I really like the sound of that machine. I didn't buy another sampler for quite some time. It's very good for some things but these days if you have an S1000 you can put anything in there - you can put down almost a whole track with it and it doesn't lack dynamics. But this isn't the case with the PPG at all. If you do that it sounds terrible."

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/the-m ... aganda/403
--

Andy Richards:

IF YOU WANT proof of the power and versatility of the Jupiter 8, then dig out your old copy of 'Relax' and listen to the sounds that many assumed to have come from a Fairlight.

"It was an incredible feeling when 'Relax' finally fell into place", comments Richards.

"The interesting thing about it is how relatively low-tech it was. Very little was sequenced. There was a LinnDrum and a bit of Fairlight, but everything else was played.

"We just didn't have the technology in those days. Things were getting a bit better by Propaganda's 'Dr Mabuse' where we had the Conductor which linked up two Jupiter 8's, two MC4's, three Oberheim DMX's and a TR808 to JJ's Series II. But honestly, we'd spend days trying to get things to work properly even then.

Just before 'Two Tribes' we were introduced to the SRC which, for us, really was the start of sequencing in a big way. I remember how we took weeks programming in every single nuance and dynamic. I'd just acquired a PPG Waveterm - the sampling was better than the Series II and in many ways it was a more interesting machine for a keyboard player to use. Also, with JJ's Fairlight and Lipson's Synclavier the three machines seemed a perfect complement to each other. Each little idea we had was blown up in size until it became of monstrous proportions, and we ended up with a record crammed with good ideas and not a single bad one. That really is Trevor Horn's forte: sifting through lots of ideas, then choosing the best ones and pushing them to their limits.

http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/progr ... tocol/1104

shellya2002

Post by shellya2002 » Sun May 08, 2016 8:51 pm

There's a youtube video of a JX-8P playing the frozen faces sounds. Start there maybe.

Vospi

Post by Vospi » Sun May 15, 2016 2:29 pm

I've googled for jx-8p sysex files and found this to play on my PG-8X vst.
Dropping in to say thank you — they're brilliant!