Stable free running LFOs with fine tuning

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
HUBA

Stable free running LFOs with fine tuning

Post by HUBA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:56 am

Software or hardware, what synths have:

Fastest LFo?

Most stable free running LFO?

Fine tuning?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Stable free running LFOs with fine tuning

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:15 am

Fastest LFO? You do realise LFO is Low Frequency Oscillator don't you? If you want a fast one you use an audio oscillator to modulate whatever you need modulated.

For stable go digital.

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Post by hageir » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:30 pm

The slowest LFO; Roland Alpha Juno = I think the slow sweep is something about 2 minutes! :o
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:01 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Fastest LFO? You do realise LFO is Low Frequency Oscillator don't you? If you want a fast one you use an audio oscillator to modulate whatever you need modulated.

For stable go digital.
+1

However if you set the Korg Mono/poly's LFO waveform between /I and I\ ir quadruples the speed and you can get some FM sounds.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:49 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Fastest LFO? You do realise LFO is Low Frequency Oscillator don't you? If you want a fast one you use an audio oscillator to modulate whatever you need modulated.

For stable go digital.
Look, I am familiar with what LFO is short for and I know how it works. I don't mean to sound unthankful, but do you honestly think your answer is very helpful?
I'm not a synth expert, and that's why I signed up here so I could post some questions. I happen to end up playing a lot with LFO and FM because I like the sounds that come out of that, and before buying something, I'd like to know about synths with powerful and flexible LFOs, not just in terms of routing possibilities.

Do you mean to say that all digital synths have dead stable free running LFOs? Is the least stable LFO in the whole digital synth world more stable than the most stable LFO of all analog synths? Things like that. (BTW, I'm asking. I don't mean to sound prejudgemental) And what about fine tuning? Does it exist?

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:52 pm

monolith wrote:if you set the Korg Mono/poly's LFO waveform between /I and I\ ir quadruples the speed and you can get some FM sounds.
Thanks!

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hageir » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:17 pm

He's saying that regular oscillators (in the hearing range) would be better for fast modulation..
Don't be so twitchy, you're overreacting :)
Relax ;)

Anyways,
if you have an analog synth you can modify the LFO to make it faster (like the SH-101; you can modify it into hearing range!)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:45 pm

The Evolver / Mopho / Tetra LFOs go into the audible range and in semitone steps, so I guess they are quite 'stable', and fast.

You'd probably have a hard job finding modern digital LFOs that aren't extremely stable.

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:51 pm

most LFO's on synths don't go over about 60 - 100Hz max. As far as stability, most LFO's, because they don't go into much audio range, don't have the type of compensation that a VCO would have. For stability, many of the modular synths that have VCO's that operate in the LFO range also would be more stable. The Arp2600 had fairly stable oscillators that could go into a low mode as did the Minimoog. The Minimoog was never known for stability though.
Cynthia systems has the new zero oscillator that can go from audio down to 0 and then into negative (not really negative hertz, reversed phase). It's probably the most stable of them.
http://www.cyndustries.com/

more modern analogs and newer digial synths will have very stable LFOs.
Older analog and older digital, do not real stable LFO's.

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:08 pm

hageir wrote:He's saying that regular oscillators (in the hearing range) would be better for fast modulation..
Relax ;)
I see now that I may have had a bit too much coffee this morning and maybe overreacted a little. Sorry about that. :oops:
hageir wrote:Anyways,
if you have an analog synth you can modify the LFO to make it faster (like the SH-101; you can modify it into hearing range!)
Thanks for the tip! Any synths that can do that, that also have FM?

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hageir » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:00 pm

HUBA wrote:
hageir wrote:He's saying that regular oscillators (in the hearing range) would be better for fast modulation..
Relax ;)
I see now that I may have had a bit too much coffee this morning and maybe overreacted a little. Sorry about that. :oops:
hageir wrote:Anyways,
Thanks for the tip! Any synths that can do that, that also have FM?
hah don't worry :)

Hmm, Filter-Modulation or Frequency-Modulation (DX synths)?

You might want to check out the Sherman Filterbank, it has FM and a super-duper fast LFO..

HUBA

Post by HUBA » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:43 am

Frequency Modulation. The Sherman Filterbank looks really cool and so does the Zero Oscillator, but I'm looking for a complete synth and can't afford to even think about modulars.

The Poly Evolver seems VERY interesting on paper, but I can't make up my mind about if I particularly like the sound of it from what I've heard in various clips. Can't tell what it is. If it's the onboard effects it's cool. If it's the filter it's not.

Are there other interesting non modular alternatives with fast, flexible LFOs and FM than the Poly Evolver?

Andromeda?

Software?

BTW I don't mind hearing more about outstanding LFOs even if they are expensive =P~

Roby31
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Waldorf Micro Q (Yellow)
Access Virus TI 2 Desktop
Casio VL-1

Post by Roby31 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:45 am

Micro Q's LFOs go up to 5kHz and they're stable and tunable whilst freerunning. Probably Blofeld's do the same. Of course they have frequency modulation for oscs and filters
Sorry for my unintentional killing of the English language. I'm Italian, you know :) - "What would Jexus do?" - Stew-diah

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:51 am

HUBA wrote:The Poly Evolver seems VERY interesting on paper, but I can't make up my mind about if I particularly like the sound of it from what I've heard in various clips. Can't tell what it is. If it's the onboard effects it's cool. If it's the filter it's not.
I'm not sure of your particular needs, but I can say that I also was never impressed by demos of evolvers. I eventually just got one, regardless, based on the specs. The filter is something you have to use in person, and hear in stereo.

Anyways, why stable LFOS? Things get far more interesting when you modulate 1 lfo frequency with another slow moving random lfo. Pretty non-stable, but sounds really cool.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:26 am

A6 LFOs go only up to like 25hz, not really audio range. goes down to bout 0.00763hz (130s per cycle), very nice. But it can have filter FM by white/pink/red noise, OSC1, external audio or external cv, so that opens some possibilities.

And here is a tip for the A6 (and every synth with loopable EGs): set attack / decay to linear (for triangle lfo), adjust attack / decay times and loop between them. A6 can go VERY fast like this.
Last edited by pflosi on Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.