Stable free running LFOs with fine tuning

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: Stable free running LFOs with fine tuning

Post by Zamise » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:56 am

I don't know the exact ranges, but I'd submit the Spectralis as an LFO monster. Basically they are oscillators that go beyond normal LFO range. And as far as I can tell are very stable.

I also love the programmable LFO on my RS7000, its probably no where near the fastest or coolest but it does have a freerun tho its called key on reset off. The cooler stuff comes when BPM syncing and slope stepping.
Last edited by Zamise on Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:04 am

This may be a bit off topic, and possibly a stupid question, but I started thinking after reading this thread...

Obviously, sub-sonic and sonic range modulation has been done, but does any synthesizer modulate with a super-sonic oscillater? HFO, I guess?
You can't synthesize love

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:12 am

Black Tomorrow wrote:This may be a bit off topic, and possibly a stupid question, but I started thinking after reading this thread...

Obviously, sub-sonic and sonic range modulation has been done, but does any synthesizer modulate with a super-sonic oscillater? HFO, I guess?
The Specralis's goes "beyond the audio range" if that counts? They call them VCOs for Very Cool Oscillators instead of LFOs, but for confusion's sake they still call them LFOs. And, since they are oscillators, you can do coarse and fine tuning via pitch settings. Thing is however, I think because they are digitally controlled so precisely that perhaps that is what makes Speckie sound a bit on the cold side. Or maybe its something else, but if you are looking for LFO/Modulation heaven it is probably the next best thing to having a good sized modular in a small sized package that is more of a VA instead of Analog. And that is just on the hybrid analog monosynth part of it.

I don't remember exactly how I did this, but it was doing some FMing via pitch tuning OSCs assigned to other OSCs pitches on the Spectralis, not sure that made any sense but its pretty far out there in my opinion:

<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

RedElectricMoon

Post by RedElectricMoon » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Yamaha DX7 modulates at frequencies below and over the audio range. It can also do very complex low or high freq oscillations to affect sound in many ways. For the extremes you can use regular operators instead of the dedicated LFO. Both, operators and the LFO can be set to freerun if needed. Very stable as well.

Sir Nose
Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Post by Sir Nose » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 pm

Black Tomorrow wrote:This may be a bit off topic, and possibly a stupid question, but I started thinking after reading this thread...

Just because I'm a geek, Not to be a d**k!!!

subsonic and supersonic refer to a speed below or above the speed of sound

Infrasonic and ultrasonic refer to frquencies below and above the normal human hearing range
Funkadelic wrote: nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:23 am

No worries, Sir Nose. I tend to be rather geekish at times myself, so I know where you're coming from. Now I have one more bit of "pointless" knowledge to bore people with :mrgreen:
You can't synthesize love