Final opinions of the Orb sequencer?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
breitt

Final opinions of the Orb sequencer?

Post by breitt » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:04 am

Now that the FR's Orb has been available for several months, I was curious about the opinions from the regulars on this board. I heard that there's an option to combine 3 of them and have them fit into a 19" rack now; that sounds tempting. But, before I blow any more money, I just wanted a few expert overall reviews of the unit.
Elektron Analog 4

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Final opinions of the Orb sequencer?

Post by JSRockit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:24 pm

What would you like to know? It works as advertised in my experience.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:52 pm

i have a Revo2 which is like 99% the same sequencer (swing?)
as a straight MIDI sequencer there are of more cost-effective options like a Cyclus
as a bassline/pattern/JAMMING sequencer it's the mutt's nuts. plus the CV pouts come in handy.
'remix' is the silliest name for the thoroughly awesome sequence "divider and variation generator"....makes for acid heaven that never gets boring
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

breitt

Post by breitt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:03 am

JSRockit wrote:What would you like to know? It works as advertised in my experience.
I was just curious about its tactile response, if it's easy to use, etc. I noticed you got rid of yours; was that just because you no longer had any use for it due to getting rid of the XS?
Elektron Analog 4

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:15 am

hey thanks for making this thread, i never knew about the cyclus before.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:41 pm

breitt wrote:
JSRockit wrote:What would you like to know? It works as advertised in my experience.
I was just curious about its tactile response, if it's easy to use, etc. I noticed you got rid of yours; was that just because you no longer had any use for it due to getting rid of the XS?
Yeah, just didn't have use for it anymore... but I thought it was great. So tiny and fun to use. Worth the price IMHO. I'd say go for it, but weigh the differences between it and the mobius before swapping.

breitt

Post by breitt » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:55 pm

JSRockit wrote:
breitt wrote:
Yeah, just didn't have use for it anymore... but I thought it was great. So tiny and fun to use. Worth the price IMHO. I'd say go for it, but weigh the differences between it and the mobius before swapping.

I wouldn't swap; I'd get the 3 Orbs in addition to the Mobii when I save up again next year).
Elektron Analog 4

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:23 pm

There could be more option by then though. Start with one and see if you like it...

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:05 am

ok, i have a few question for the Orb users..

what would be its pros/cons, in general use, in your opinion?

i intend to use it live to run some CV machines that need simpler 8- or 16-step patterns for berlin school type-of-thing.. sorta like analog step sequencer yet with advantages of memory, remix functions, and transposition.. how easy it is to change these things on-the-fly, or how fast can you programm a pattern in a live situation?

also, most important, how is the timing, of the unit itself, and especially, how is timing behaviour when its synced to an external midi clock source, like, RS7000 or MPC, or DAW etc.. ?

i intend to sync it with my RS7000, that also runs some CV gear via Kenton Pro2000 mk2.

thanks for any input. :wink:

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:17 am

I've never used one, but I have to say..this goes out to alot of sequencers. in the age of digital sequencing, being limited to a small number of steps seems silly.. they could have made a 'pages' system where you can add more 'pages' of 16 steps, and have them chained together.