Prophet 5 to Prophet 600 Comparison?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
XpanderXt

Re: Prophet 5 to Prophet 600 Comparison?

Post by XpanderXt » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:24 am

I never had a stepping issue with mine. I think that the controls round off to 7 bits or 128 steps but that's just the memory aspect, when controlled those 128 steps get filtered and rounded off.

I just didn't like the sound quality of the 600 as much as the Prophet 5.
I have a Prophet 5, a Pro 1 and a T8, I had a P600. I think the sound of the P5 is the best of them but sound quality is totally subjective.

Overgear
Gear: AX-73, S3000, MFC42, K5000R, K4r, K1, Nord 3R, MKS-50, Juno-106, JP-8000, CS-10, CS-15, TVS-1, PP SEM(x2), Rogue, Source, Pro-One, P-600, Mopho

Post by Overgear » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:24 pm

Here's something I recorded in '07 with the P600 using the filter CV in. Filter tweaking was done from the knob box for the K5000, which was going to the Kenton Pro2k, which went to the P600 filter CV. Portamento and the slight pitch mod were from the P600. Single note Unison. Kinda peaky.

The filter CV will work fine. I like the 600, but it is kinda temperamental. Even for it's age. Mine occasionally has OS crashes that would impress MS. The envelopes are not CEMs, only the oscillators and filters.

I actually have 2. They were cheap. One is on the floor in disrepair. Neither work 100%. The one on the floor - a previous owner obviously bought into that nonsense about gluing the Osc/Filter trimmers in place :roll: . All 18 :evil: . I gotta take a picture of that. I had only heard stories...

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 am

XpanderXt wrote:I never had a stepping issue with mine. I think that the controls round off to 7 bits or 128 steps but that's just the memory aspect, when controlled those 128 steps get filtered and rounded off.

I just didn't like the sound quality of the 600 as much as the Prophet 5.
I have a Prophet 5, a Pro 1 and a T8, I had a P600. I think the sound of the P5 is the best of them but sound quality is totally subjective.
What do you think of the T8's sound compared to the P600 and P5? Which P5 do you have?

Apparently they worked on the complaints that people had about the P600 by increasing the processing power in the T8. And also John Bowen said there are a lot of programming tricks you can do with the T8 and your hands to imitate warmth (or instabilty.)

You still have the T8. As a recent T8 owner what do you like about it to keep it in your rig. I'm keeping mine, my friend actually likes it better than his P5 3.3, but would like to hear the perspective of another T8 owner since there are so few.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:14 pm

I think the P600 had a fatter sound, but not a better sound. It was more in your face.
I never compared it side to side with the T8 because I didn't have both at the same time.
My opinion is that the P5 was the best, Pro1 second best, and T8 and 600 tied for third in different ways.

I have a 3.2 P5. Those are the only ones I've had (two different ones).
I like the 3.2 sound and more importantly it's stability verses an earlier one. I've heard 2.0 units but didn't hear much difference. They were not side by side so that makes it really hard to compare.

The T8 doesn't sound as good as the P5 too me. The P5 is such a signature sound, much like the OBXa and Jupiter 8 were. It has it's personality and one that I'm close to. The T8's osc and filters don't sound like a typical SCI product. Not at all like a P5 or a Pro 1. I would say it is more like P5 in sound than a 600 was.
I've played with the 08 and was not impressed. Not my thing and nothing I can point to. Describing sound in words fails.

I don't use the sound generating of the T8 much actually. When I do, it's for the poly aftertouch on pads. It has the best keyboard I have ever felt although mine has issues with the aftertouch sometimes getting stuck on.

I was using it mainly as a controller but have moved things around a bit for a specific project. It really bums me that they never set it up to transmit poly aftertouch. But the mono aftertouch it sends is far more controllable than any other keyboard I have ever used.

fingerbib2000

Post by fingerbib2000 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:54 pm

devetron wrote:
EmptySet wrote:Maybe you should post a patch sheet or two and have P600 and P5 owners send you recordings of the same patch being played on both synths.
I'd be happy to patch up my P600 for that and post the results. Any P5 owners game?
I'm curious as to how my Pro-8 compares also... post a patch sheet and i'll do the same.
Sequential Circuits Pro-8, Rolands TB-303, MKS-80, JX-8P, SH-09. Waldorfs Microwave XT, Pulse. Yamahas RS7000, A4000, DX-200. 2 x Cheetah MS-6. Novations Supernova 1 & 2. Korg ER-1. Creamware Pulsar 2.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:54 pm

Someone on the prophet forums did the 40 original Prophet 5 presets on the P’08. I had a chance to compare them side by side when I owned both an 08 and a 5. It must have been a labor of love because the guy did a really good job. I would say about 50% of them sounded spot on and the rest were still fairly close. This differences become very apparent when you start modulating the sound, even with his own programmed modulation wheel destinations it frequently sounded quite different on the P’08. Messing with the filter at all didn’t react the same. The original 40 presets might not be the most indicative patches of the P5s sound and possibilities.

To summarize, I think you can get fairly close to a vanilla static sound of a P5 with some judicious and probably laborious programming of the P’08 but they don’t naturally sound all that similar and they don’t react very similar with modulation.

The P’08s oscillators are too stable and its filter is – hmmm… I don’t want to say vanilla cause that might be too harsh - it has a unique sound but the filter is dry and not particularly thick and organic. I really don’t think the P’08 is comparable to the VCO prophets. It is what it is and it sounds like what it is, a DCO synth with lots of control and modulation possibilities and its own distinct character.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:21 am

I'll tell you what though, some of the patches on the p600 (like the sync patch) sound almost spot on to the original. I was comparing them with the P5 demos recorded on Synthmania.com. Although I'm all about the original; sucks to say that I'd rather pay quadruple the price to own a real P5 than a 600 which in comparison feels like a toy. I just need a P5 for a week to see if the jonesing goes away... it has on other instruments I thought I'd love...
I like vintage synths....

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Whiney,
I wasn’t blown away by the P5, especially at its price. I think I actually like my OB-8 more, at half the price. And the OB sounds similar. I will concede that the P5 is a lot better looking than an OB-8 and the cross-mod is something the OB-8 doesn’t have (but then it has many things the P-5 doesn’t as well). I think that an OB-8 has a smoother sound, similar to the p5, than the P600. The P600 sounds great and is as close as you’re going to get to the P5 sound at under $1k but it definitely has a sound of its own that is thick, dark, aggressive, sometimes harsh and difficult to tame (which are all things I loved about it).
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:51 pm

Well I have always loved my OB-8; even more so than the OB-Xa even though the Xa still sounds a bit dirtier, because I'm not always looking for a dirty synth sound. Most of my music involves poly patches that resemble pianos or sustained brass, which I can do well with the 8. I have access to an OB-Xa and there are certain sounds I found on that that are better than the 8, plus I like the keyboard itself better, but as an all around, I stick with the 8.

My buddy went on a mission to play a P5 once, and having a Pro-One figured it would blow him away. He wasn't impressed. In fact, he said it was very underwhelming, like "that's it?" "We have that". Now, I know between the two of us we probably can't program worth a shat, but I think for basic sound and texture we figured we already have that ground covered with the OB's. So when the P600 came along pretty inexpensive, we figured hey why not. But it's hard to get into when you have a Pro One and two OB's... it almost becomes unnecessary. So far the sync patch is the only one I'm digging (preset 17) and this is strictly factory stuff; I'm not listening to the quality of the patch made, I'm listening to the audio, texture and overall feeling of the instrument and I'm not sure I'm too into it. The basses can get mean sounding but at that point it's getting into Pro One territory anyway :)
I like vintage synths....

XpanderXt

Post by XpanderXt » Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:16 am

OB-8 is a very different sound than Prophet 5. I have always loved the OB-X, OB-Xa, OB-8 sound. Never got one though because they were so much more money than a Prophet 5. I bought my P5 new for $2350 when OB-Xa's were going for $3400 or so.
I would still love to have an OB ( I have an Xpander and it's good but doesn't really have that OBX sound).

Can't compare OB and P5. They have their own personalities, both of which are very good.