New Vintage : Korg SV-1

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Re: New Vintage : Korg SV-1

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:32 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I think it looks pretty awesome apart from that embarrassing tube
The legacy of ValveForce lives on! They don't really need to have it on full display - even Behringer keep them covered up in ther VT-911/999 pedals!
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:41 am

Actually I think they do need to have it on display, as it's more for looks than any other reason.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 am

bleurgh wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:why is it Korg and Roland seem to shun their analog pedigree, releasing digital stuff pretending it's the same only better?
It would certainly be nice if they did, particularly Roland - I love their analogue stuff - but I suppose Korg and Roland know their markets much more intimately than any of us do. For the largest chunk of their market, presumably the new stuff IS the same only better. These customers are happy with an accurate emulation combined with all the bells and whistles of current technology - that and the fact that they can have sounds from a variety of different instruments in one box that weighs only a quarter as much as one of the genuine vintage instruments the new stuff tries to emulate. Could you imagine how large and heavy something like this new Korg unit would be even if it only offered half the sounds with analogue circuitry? Oh my aching back!

Don't forget the real possibility that even though Roland made some great analogue stuff in the 70's and 80's, the people behind those products are probably long gone now. They probably just don't have the know-how anymore.

Never really liked the old Korg stuff, I have to say, although I have a Mono/poly that I enjoy using from time to time.
Yes, I just wish some of the old japanese greats would take a market risk for a change, look what moog and Tom Oberheim are doing - the SEM Module has had *huge* market interest :)

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:04 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Actually I think they do need to have it on display, as it's more for looks than any other reason.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:12 pm

I also heard some demos. The grand pianos and electric pianos are very very good sounding ! IMHO, one of the best available with the PC-3 from Kurzweil. But organs, tron-strings, tron-choirs, Solina Emulation, etc...don't have the same quality.

The look is original, and it's great that they put 2 XLR outputs on this piano.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:49 pm

The tube would seem to impart its sound on it, even when judged by the clip. I think I recognize that distortion from driving a small guitar head with a rompler (and no. digital emulations usually don't sound too much alike). That doesn't however mean that placing just one preamp tube there would reproduce accurately the tone of a tube amplifier, and the video clip should be enough of a proof of that. It's a bit silly how they're making a big deal about the one single tube being placed in there and it imparting its "realness" on the end result. Well yes sure, but you'd probably get much of the same effect by overdriving a cheap tube mic pre and then cutting off some highs.

Seems like a nice enough design though, and I'd reckon that since it does have marketable looks it will sell fairly well in the end.

bleurgh

Post by bleurgh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 11:22 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
bleurgh wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:why is it Korg and Roland seem to shun their analog pedigree, releasing digital stuff pretending it's the same only better?
It would certainly be nice if they did, particularly Roland - I love their analogue stuff - but I suppose Korg and Roland know their markets much more intimately than any of us do. For the largest chunk of their market, presumably the new stuff IS the same only better. These customers are happy with an accurate emulation combined with all the bells and whistles of current technology - that and the fact that they can have sounds from a variety of different instruments in one box that weighs only a quarter as much as one of the genuine vintage instruments the new stuff tries to emulate. Could you imagine how large and heavy something like this new Korg unit would be even if it only offered half the sounds with analogue circuitry? Oh my aching back!

Don't forget the real possibility that even though Roland made some great analogue stuff in the 70's and 80's, the people behind those products are probably long gone now. They probably just don't have the know-how anymore.

Never really liked the old Korg stuff, I have to say, although I have a Mono/poly that I enjoy using from time to time.
Yes, I just wish some of the old japanese greats would take a market risk for a change, look what moog and Tom Oberheim are doing - the SEM Module has had *huge* market interest :)
Didn't Alesis nearly go bust when they put out the Andromeda? If that recollection is correct, then I suppose Roland and Korg looked at that example and said "nooooo way!"

Still there's plenty of smaller companies like the ones you mention putting out lots of interesting goodies. We're spoiled for choice really, except that they're mostly shockingly expensive! Dave Smith though... how does he put out all that cool stuff for such reasonable prices?

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:28 pm

Shhhh, don't try pointing out common sense to the analogue zealots, they'll get angry.

Of course Roland and Korg should be able to remake all their old synths for the price they go for second-hand now, just like Mercedes can do with their cars. I'm glad I can get a 500 SEL for $10,000, it's made my life a whole lot better.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:50 pm

bleurgh wrote:Didn't Alesis nearly go bust when they put out the Andromeda? If that recollection is correct, then I suppose Roland and Korg looked at that example and said "nooooo way!"

Still there's plenty of smaller companies like the ones you mention putting out lots of interesting goodies. We're spoiled for choice really, except that they're mostly shockingly expensive! Dave Smith though... how does he put out all that cool stuff for such reasonable prices?
Yes, true the Alesis took it's time to win favour with the synth lovers amongst us but you're forgetting two important factors that are different, 1. Roland and Korg are more financially stable than Alesis has ever been. 2. It's now almost a decade since the Andromeda was first released, things have changed - new analog is now much more widely accepted and there are way more smaller companies producing these synths now than before - which is a very good thing :wink:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Shhhh, don't try pointing out common sense to the analogue zealots, they'll get angry.
I don't care so much these days as I have no intention of buying a new synth for quite a while, analog or otherwise. More than anything I'm just finding it hard to respect these legendary companies quite to the degree I have before, now that they've released things like the SH-201, Juno Romplers etc, I'm really not saying these products are bad production tools, just that releasing stuff with the big names associated with it and then releasing the f**k plastic fantastic leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm definately no analog snob I actually like new synths a lot. I just hate it when these companies are obviously latching onto their ground-breaking product history with these names - call it something new FFS :?

Sorry, getting off topic, rant over - the Korg does looks pretty good, a step in the right direction =D>

LucB
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Yamaha SK-20
Yamaha CS-15D
Crumar Organizer 2
Eko K2 + FM4 + Rotomachine
Band: Mountains Unfold

Post by LucB » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:28 pm

So did anyone actually try one recently?

But yeah i guess we have to understand that first and foremost this just isn't a synth. More like a sampler with classic sounds on it.

The tube does look more like a fetish then a real enhancement of the sound output, in the end it's all a matter of what you run it through anyways, and i strongly suggest that anyone who's looking for real tube sound simply get a real tube amp.

I'm working on buying a XP-50 and SRJV80-04 and 08 expansion boards, it won't cost as much (maybe 600$ CAD total) as a SV-1 and will do pretty much the same, with more modulation possibilies and maybe a cheaper keyboard. here in Quebec, a Korg SV-1 73, taxes included, will cost something like 2500$ CAD.

I guess it's aimed at all the baby boomers who want a professional keyboard to get all their old school sound, hands on, without having to learn about synthesis or sampling.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:21 am

Hybrid88 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Shhhh, don't try pointing out common sense to the analogue zealots, they'll get angry.
I don't care so much these days as I have no intention of buying a new synth for quite a while, analog or otherwise. More than anything I'm just finding it hard to respect these legendary companies quite to the degree I have before, now that they've released things like the SH-201, Juno Romplers etc, I'm really not saying these products are bad production tools, just that releasing stuff with the big names associated with it and then releasing the f**k plastic fantastic leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm definately no analog snob I actually like new synths a lot.
Are you trying to say the SH-101 wasn't plastic fantastic?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:37 am

not in the sound. only in built.

and still, a lot of them are still arround .. and working. i seriously doubt you will find many sh-201's or Juno-D's floating arround in working condition , in 27 years time..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:34 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:
I don't care so much these days as I have no intention of buying a new synth for quite a while, analog or otherwise. More than anything I'm just finding it hard to respect these legendary companies quite to the degree I have before, now that they've released things like the SH-201, Juno Romplers etc, I'm really not saying these products are bad production tools, just that releasing stuff with the big names associated with it and then releasing the f**k plastic fantastic leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm definately no analog snob I actually like new synths a lot.
Are you trying to say the SH-101 wasn't plastic fantastic?
Well I get your point, but actually the sliders and knobs on the 101 feel quite solid to me, not so on any new synth - especially JunoDi, G etc, thats what I mean by plastic fantastic, ie, unashamedly cheap and c**p feeling controls - not just having a plastic case, the case on the 101 is very well made with thick plastic, whist everthing nowdays is thin as f@#k to save on costs (novation, I'm looking at you :roll: ).

You must have chosen one of the very few vintage analog machines that is plastic as your example, anyway I reckon the build quality of a 101 is great personally, I haven't had any cosmetic issues with anything not fitting snugly etc, not like a 201 I hear :lol:
clusterchord wrote:...and still, a lot of them are still arround .. and working. i seriously doubt you will find many sh-201's or Juno-D's floating arround in working condition , in 27 years time..
Dead right :wink:

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:24 am

I rather like the prices. And looks. If the SV-1 was around when I got my Electro 3, I probably would've blown my brains from thinking too hard which to buy :D But now I'm probably too enamoured by the E3's sampling (and extensive Mellotron library) to switch over, no matter how much I'd love a weighted stage piano... Maybe ;) Definitely got to try this out.

- CM

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:47 am

I wonder if the internet had have been around in 1983 would people have complained about Roland using the great name of the SH-1000 for this new, cheap, made of plastic, doesn't sound the same SH-101?

My point is that Roland have been recycling names for almost as long as Honda have been making Civics, or VW making Golfs. Getting all bent out of shape because of the values that YOU put onto the name is silly. Everyone was whinging that nobody was making any modern synths with knobby interfaces and a lack of menus, and then when Roland does it you all complain about the name.

This thread is for discussion of the Korg SV-1, not for complaining about Roland's naming practices or Novation's build quality.