Old jomox machines vs new

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
DJ Axon

Old jomox machines vs new

Post by DJ Axon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:30 am

Hiya,

I have an old xbase09 and an airbase99 and was thinking of swapping the two for an 888 or 999 but i'm a little concerned how the new machines sound and aren't able to demo them being a northern monkey. My concern is because i find the old airbase and xbase sound very different, with the airbase being much 'punchier/faster' (kick drum particularly). On paper these are the perfect evolution for jomox though - multi-instruments, multi-outs, lots of knobs, step sequencer - best of both old machines.

Has anybody owned all three machines and can comment on the character of the new ones compared to the old? I'm sure Jurgen will say the new ones are just better, but i think it's fair to say any change in sonic character is a very subjective thing, plus it's his company!!!

I particularly like the sound of the old airbase (the xbase too but prefer airbase), so would be gutted to sell them both to find out that the new machines sound softer like the xbase, in which case i'd be better sticking as i am...

Any help appreciated from people who have owned all three, or have already maybe made the move i'm considering...

cheers, dan

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Old jomox machines vs new

Post by nadafarms » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:46 pm

the 888 eats the xbase-09 and airbase for dinner. There is absolutely no way the old ones sound better, 888 is the best of the line IMO and has sampling... a better more flexible kick drum with an extra pitch envelope, metalized noise etc.

xbase-09 is the worst one, i kinda of like the airbase but the 888 in no way has a less quality sound if anything it's much better and yes I've owned all 3.

I would recommend the selling xbase-09, get and acidlab miami and keep the airbase
for sale/trade: EML-101

DJ Axon

Post by DJ Axon » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the advice - so in your opinion the new machines do replace the old ones? I have to admit i don't know what an acidlab miami is but i'll go have a look...

Just to clarify, i'm not talking about sound 'quality', but about each machines particular character - i find the airbase has much more punch while the xbase has its own unique character, just that the airbase suits me better- all great machines though.

I'm really trying to strip my studio down and was hoping an 888/999 would replace my two older machines, and hoping the character was more airbase than xbase09...

cheers, dan

fletriste

Post by fletriste » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:10 pm

i will second the appreciation for the airbase. i think it sounds really crisp.

wish jomox had made a single VCO mono.....

idiotboy

Post by idiotboy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:38 pm

They did: decay=128.

:lol:

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:36 am

idiotboy wrote:They did: decay=128.

:lol:
LOL

really though I even told the guy dude he should make an xbase-09 style monosynth with full synth controls and all parameter locks. If even just part of the analog side of the sunsyn voice.

imagine if you could do fm and ring mod with parameter locks :shock:
for sale/trade: EML-101

xonox

Post by xonox » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:04 pm

Can't help you compare those machines...

But i got an xbase 999 a little while ago and it sure is fun to use! The built-in sequencer was a selling point for me.

I know a lot of people seem to prefer the xbase888 but be aware that Jomox put up an xbase888 OS for the xbase999.

So if you aren't sure, it can be a way of having both machines, but not at the same time. The 888 OS disables the 999 analogue filter. AFAIK, both machines have very similar electronics besides the 999 filter.

I quite like this analogue filter. I bought the 999 instead of the 888 because of the built-in dual analogue filters. It does things i haven't been able to reproduce using my other machines.

If you have any specific questions, i'll try to answer.

roland4387
Gear: TB-303(x's 2), EML 101, System 100 Model 101, TR-808 & 606, SH-2, ARP Odyssey MKII, Korg MS-20, Xbase999, Korg KMS-30, SBX-80, Future Retro Mobius

Post by roland4387 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:20 pm

My 999 is on the UPS truck for delivery as we speak and I can't wait to get my hands on it! Scored it for 2/3 the normal price due to it being an open box from a music store in Sacramento. Total luck!