Anyone here use an Orb or Nemo?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
stikygum

Anyone here use an Orb or Nemo?

Post by stikygum » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:40 am

I want a Nemo, but I'm thinking I'm going to get an Orb for now. (If you have either for sale contact me) Anyone care to comment on these two sequencers. I think they will fit perfectly within my setup. The Nemo is a bit pricey, but exactly what I want. The Orb I think would be fun inspirator for quick ideas. I wish the Nemo had CV, but I could always get a convertor. When the Orb came out I was a little let down by it not being a beefed up Mobius, but the more I sat on it I realized how perfect this could be in my setup. Sure it only has on track, but you can record it into you DAW if you find something you like. Wish it would have more CVs, but can't have everything. I'm wondering how many Jared has sold of these.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

ripe

Re: Anyone here use an Orb or Nemo?

Post by ripe » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:58 pm

I can only speak as a user of the Octopus and the Revolution. They are similar in ways but also very different. The Revo (Orb) is great as a single purpose scratchpad type sequencer. It excels at monophonic lead programming and 303 style sequences. Anything more advanced is better done on a different machine. One cool feature is the 3/4 time signature (not easily done on the Nemo). I think the remix feature is fairly useless, but some people seem to like it. Of course you also get the CV and DIN sync which may be important, but it's easy to add these with external boxes.

The Octopus (Nemo) is a place where you can work on entire tracks, and it also has all of the editing features needed to create complex sequences, copy, paste, polyphony, MIDI cc, multiple tracks, lots of track timing options, etc, etc. It can do 303 type sequences as well, but it's not as immediate (no dedicated accent, slide buttons). The OS is also open source so you could add things if you are really motivated.

If you got 4 Orbs, you still wouldn't be anywhere near the Nemo capability, and the price would be similar (not to mention you actually have 16 tracks in the Nemo). In terms of build quality and support I don't think you could go wrong with either company.

I actually like having both, they complement each other well, dumping Revo sequences into the Octopus for further editing.

cheers
ripe

sashbash

Post by sashbash » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:54 pm

i've had a nemo....right now i've got two orbs (and considering a third).

the nemo was amazing and got very complex, although knocking out quick loops was also very intuitive and easy. my problem with the nemo was that it's designed for Midi interfacing and doesn't have CV gear as its main concern. obviously you can hook it up to a Midi-CV converter but i found it an extra setup/hassle that got in the way of immediate creativity. (others might have a different opinion).

personally i've got predominantly a CV oriented setup (modular) so the nemo just didn't quite gel as much as i'd hoped...and i ended up finding using Numerology with a Kenton Pro, a much better (and cheaper!) substitute for the nemo...in fact i found it quite hard to get into the 'headspace' of the Nemo (ie skipping through the different pages), where the visual aspect of Numerology really helped me with complex sequencing....

this brings me to the orb. to accompany Numerology i decided i wanted something immediate...easy to use, easily recallable and intergrated with CV gear with ease....for me the Orb fits all of these requirements excellently. in fact i'm using numerology much less these days, as i find you can get quite deep with multiple orbs surprisingly well. yes there are slightly limited..but that works in your favour...as you learn to be creative with what you have...

if you have mainly midi gear i'd consider the nemo....if you're mainly modular, i'd go Orbs.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:17 am

sashbash, a question:

ive been thinking of Orb, for similar reasons like you, to use it live synced to my RS7000, for some of my CV gear. i was wondering how is the timing on the Orb, is it precise? and especially, how is the timing when its slaved to a external clock , like your MAC with Numerology, or other ORBs? is it DEAD tight as we all want em to be in high-bpm music? ;)

thanks.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

DeFex
Gear: Virus Ti. DSI Evolver. 36 DSP soniccore scope + SDK.
Quasimidi 309. FR revolution. MIDI controllers. 3x monome64. NI Maschine.

Post by DeFex » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:32 am

wow i never heard about the nemo. its tempting but i bit out of my range right now.
are those actual chromed bicycle wheel nuts used as knobs :) thats what they look like.

and thats what i am going to use for knobs on my next project :)

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:42 pm

Hello, if anyone is interested, I'm thinking of selling my Orb...I just bought it, but am adding another Oberheim Sem to the studio, so this will help to fund the new purchase. PM me if interested. Thanks! Jaime

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:39 pm

I've used FR stuff for years, and it's always had the best MIDI timing out of all my gear. I remember reading somewhere in a comparison w/ several other MIDI sequencers that the Mobius had the best transfer rate of the bunch, iirc it was less than 3ms average lag.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

sashbash

Post by sashbash » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:56 am

i've got no complaints about the orb's timing at all. locks very well. it would be no problem live, sync'd up as either slave or master. very tight.

i've got it on the end of a horrendously long midi chain, and it's pretty much bang on... the delay is in the milliseconds (acn't remember off the top of my head) but it's nothing to be concerned about.