Blofeld update suggestions

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Blofeld update suggestions

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:45 am

So I finally picked up the Waldorf Blofeld: OMG what a beautiful synth!
I'm not at all an expert on synthesizer programming, but am having a blast tweaking this little beast.
I have some thoughts however on what I think would improve the synth.
First: it wouldn't hurt to have some more efx power, so why does it have to be 16 part multitimbral? Wouldn't it be better to instead give 8 parts two effect blocks each? (for me it would be still better with 4 parts with even more efx).
Not that it is that big a deal, but just some thoughts.
What do you guys think?

Oh, and when tweaking some parameters, it seems to be awfully long between each setting. Any reason for this?
Finally I think I may have to start using gloves in order to get a really good grip on the aluminum knobs :) :D

Whining aside: AWESOME synth!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Blofeld update suggestions

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Maybe you can change the knobs, the others aren't gonna happen due to technical limitations.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:29 pm

The degree of multimbralilty really doesn't have anything to do with it. Polyphony is assigned dynamically anyway.

Effects are limited to one global effect and a secondary effect on the first four parts. That seems fair enough. I suppose they could allow more but while the effects are useable it's not like they are amazing or anything. Updates to the effects might be coming though. The number of effects in use can affect polyphony I believe.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:37 pm

masstronaut wrote:The degree of multimbralilty really doesn't have anything to do with it. Polyphony is assigned dynamically anyway.

Effects are limited to one global effect and a secondary effect on the first four parts. That seems fair enough. I suppose they could allow more but while the effects are useable it's not like they are amazing or anything. Updates to the effects might be coming though. The number of effects in use can affect polyphony I believe.
Yeah, more effect types would definately be welcome. Personally I won't be using the synth multitimbrally anyway, so a decrease in polyphony due to more effects isn't really an issue. But that's me. If most people are using it multtimbrally, they obviously would have to take that into consideration. I suspect, however, that the 16 parts is more for making the synth shine on paper.

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:54 pm

Could be useful for drums, for instance. Or different parts of an arrangement.

But you don't have to use all 16 parts of course, and the limitations on effects apply either way. Also as I say only the first four parts get their own effect anyway.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:51 pm

masstronaut wrote:Could be useful for drums, for instance. Or different parts of an arrangement.

But you don't have to use all 16 parts of course, and the limitations on effects apply either way. Also as I say only the first four parts get their own effect anyway.
Hmm, I was under the impression all 16 parts had their own insert effect. Well anyways, I better get back to some Blofeld tweaking instead of wasting time on update speculations :D

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:28 am

I think the effects are limited not so much because of the multitimbrality, more because of the amazing options you have in the actual synthesis.. - eg, wavetables + samples + dual filters + FM + filter drive + filter FM +all the modulation... then you get 2 effects as well.. - they wouldn't have held off on synthesis features to have not-so-crappy but still average effects.

Honestly, I'd rather if they got rid of the effects and added like an extra osc or something. - Built in effects in synths are never great, the blofeld's are pretty terrible (with the exception of the really nice overdrive/distortion)

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:25 pm

Yeah the effects are a bonus.

The bitcrusher is alright as well, but you can't go too far wrong with a bitcrusher. The phaser, flanger, chorus and reverb are sort of usable but have a tiny range of worthwhile settings I find. Delay would be better if times could be changed smoothly but whatever. Some improvements are being made for Largo apparently so we might see those on the Blo as well.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:26 pm

I'm finding the best use for the FX is the following settings on FX 2:

FX2: delay
mix: 127
length: short (4-10)
spread:-64
polarity:negative

try it. basically you're making a second copy of your sound, delayed a bit, effectively increasing the stereo image width. I do this all the time in my DAW, and can now do it in the synth.. very awesome.

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:31 am

with mix set to 127, you're completely removing the original signal.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by th0mas » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:10 pm

cartesia wrote:with mix set to 127, you're completely removing the original signal.
did you try it? I was writing this from memory, but I'm pretty sure thats what I do. If not, maybe it's mix @ 64. Pretty sure it's mix @ 127 though.

Dano

Post by Dano » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:15 pm

I just got my Blofeld on Thursday and am only about half-way through the presets but what I was immediately stuck by was how much more "spacious" it sounded than my Micro-Q did and definitely more so than my early model Microwave II that doesn't even have reverb! :)

I thought the delay fx I heard on some patches were OK too but that's just my opinion of course. After reading this I'll probably be more critical of the fx next time I play it! :evil:

pneuman
Gear: Yamaha CS2X
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by pneuman » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:55 am

Dano wrote:I thought the delay fx I heard on some patches were OK too but that's just my opinion of course. After reading this I'll probably be more critical of the fx next time I play it! :evil:
As far as basic delays go it's fine :) It only breaks down when you change the parameters while it's playing, in which case you get glitches. That can obviously be annoying when you're dialling in your sound, but once you're there, it sounds fine to me too.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by th0mas » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:05 pm

Apparently when they change the FX parameters, the architecture requires the DSP to restart processing the output (or something to that effect), hence the blip.