New Korg Wavedrum

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

New Korg Wavedrum

Post by 3rdConstruction » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:08 pm

http://www.korg.com/Product.aspx?pd=563
Wavedrum 1.jpg
Wavedrum 1.jpg (66.44 KiB) Viewed 880 times
anybody know any more about this? this looks pretty interesting to me, but i'm just not that clear on a few things. from korg's description, it appears to have some synthesis & sampling playback ability. seems like you won't be able to upload samples, but they don't really say anything about what you can do with the synthesis engine in it. will you be limited to playing or tweaking presets? please don't misunderstand me - i have no intention to complain about an unreleased product, i'm very interested in this & i'd just like to find out more about its capabilities & limitations...
Korg wrote: The WAVEDRUM contains 36 DSP algorithms to conjure an abundance of synthesis methods; analog, additive, non-linear, physical modeling, etc. Using these building blocks, you can create various instrument sounds, natural sounds, or purely synthetic sounds – in addition to WAVEDRUM’s own unique voice. The PCM sound engine – the other important part of WAVEDRUM's sound creation system – contains 200 sampled sounds; 100 for the head, and 100 for the rim, with velocity-switching capabilities. Certain algorithms allow you to combine a specific DSP method and a PCM instrument to the head, and assign a different combination to the rim. This method of controlling multiple sounds within a single program delivers a fantastic playing experience, rich in sound. In other algorithms, the velocity and tone of the strike are used to control the PCM sound, creating a responsive interaction that far surpasses any sample-playback device, one rivaling that of an acoustic instrument.
the photos suggest some degree of editing capability (the fine print in grey).
Wavedrum 2.jpg
Wavedrum 2.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 880 times
i also don't see a midi connector, so i don't know if you could trigger another device with this...
Wavedrum 3.jpg
Wavedrum 3.jpg (35.19 KiB) Viewed 880 times
youtube demos...
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
[bbvideo] [/bbvideo]
it looks like a lot of fun to play, but how much can you create & manipulate sounds? i'd love to know if anyone has any more info on this...
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Re: New Korg Wavedrum

Post by tom Cadillac » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:05 am

Just checked this out for sale at Thomann and had to bite my hand back from buying it! I'll at least wait till it arrives in the friendly local Korg store. Its the idea of getting subtle tabla stuff that really sold it to me.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:29 am

I've been waiting for this since it was announced.

It dosent have midi. As it dosent respond in a way that can be used to trigger midi. The silver case around the edges is metal in case you were wondering.

You can edit the sounds using the dials. From what I've been told from different people there are parameters for each sound that can be changed and that with the synthetic sounds these can make quite a difference. You can then save these new sounds in new slots.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by 3rdConstruction » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:36 pm

I'm hoping that you can at least separate the component sound outputs to some degree, & maybe use those as triggers or maybe for discrete processing.
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:26 am

OH this is what I was hoping for!

I hope its just as awesome as the original! The original just blew me away
hopefully the price tag isnt as much as the original though :shock:
‹‡›

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:06 am

adhmzaiusz wrote:OH this is what I was hoping for!

I hope its just as awesome as the original! The original just blew me away
hopefully the price tag isnt as much as the original though :shock:
it's around £399 in the UK and $600 in the US.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:55 pm

Looks cool for sure...
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:32 am

Oh, at that price it might have found a home! :P

Not many drum synths I don't like. Except for Vermona and Jomox. My ears think they sound like poop.

Speaking of weird drumsynths anyone tried one of those Mandala things?
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by 3rdConstruction » Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:29 pm

well, i like the sound of the vermona drm, at least what i can tell from youTube audio. i like all those controls & the idea that i could try to make my own sounds on it, not just mimic other machines. i was hoping the wavedrum would let me control something like the vermona or perhaps other synths, but it looks more like it will have to be used as it's own instrument. i'm still very interested...

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:30 pm

Wow only 600 US? I am so buying one, even though I have no rhythm! I remember seeing someone selling an original one on craigslist a few months back for over 2000$$ which is craaaZy
‹‡›

jcn7
Gear: K2500, Vsynth, Karp, Prophecy, Volcas, Monotribes, Oasys PCI, Oberheim Matrix, SEMs, Nord Drums, Microbrute, Yamaha EX5R, + multiple Euro modulars.

Post by jcn7 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:40 pm

I bought one when they were originally released. Very cool unit, but these new ones look to be an improvement. The new price looks much better also! I sold mine many years ago, and have kicked myself many times for doing so. Looks like a new Wavedrum is on the list to buy. Setting money aside now. Jaime