One is not enough!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

One is not enough!

Post by balma » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:20 pm

Wonder how much people here have bought more than one synth.... I mean, getting the same synth.

And why do you decided to have two of them.

I know several cases with two Dave Smith's mono Evolvers....

My case:

Two E-mu Command Stations.

1. I had 2 ROMS with no use. I don't like the rack version of the Proteus series.
2. This is the best sequencer under $500, and it has 2 MIDI outputs. Besides is a nice machine, one of the best romplers I've pleayed ever, and it's great for live performance. I needed two of them very badly in order to control all my setup

Two Roland SP 808ex samplers.

SP808 can process, sample and mix, two line in at the same time. On live acts, all my synths go throught the two SP 808. Acting like left/right mixers, also, I sample while playing, and then, merge both samples into one. Also, they work as an effect units processor. These samplers cannot be replaced on my setup.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

stikygum

Re: One is not enough!

Post by stikygum » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:06 pm

I had 3 Polymorphs at one time. I didn't use them all at the same time, but nonetheless. :mrgreen:
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:25 pm

In 1991 I got a Juno 6. In 1995, a Juno 60. I kept both because I like them. I failed to convince myself that it was worth selling the 6, because I ended up using both simultaneously for different things. No problem at all.

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:33 pm

I have two FR Revolutions because I really like acid house :)

I used to have two Juno-106's but they are long gone now...

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:50 pm

Before the 2000's, it was not uncommon to see multiples of the same synth. I love seeing those photos of the 90's where you see racks and racks of samplers wondering how much they spent on them back then and what they're worth now. I can certainly understand wanting/needing mutliples of the same analog synth these days, especially since different production runs have their own characteristics.

Right now, I have 2 MKS-80's, but I've decided to sell one (I think someone here on VSE has 4 Supe Jupes). I've also got 3 ARP Avatars: one is in the shop and will probably go up for sale when it's fixed, one is in damn near mint and will be a "museum" keeper and the other I plan to have modded.

I also have 2 Fantom X6's: one at home and the other at work.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:06 am

heh, i have two 777's, two x0xb0xes, two MS-20's & two MS-10's.

because they're all f**k awesome.

hope i'll always hang onto both 777's, but will probably let one of each of the others go eventually.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:13 am

I have the Microkorg, but I want the newer XL(for the piano patch, split timbre feature, new sounds etc..) and the microsampler, just to round out my collection :lol:
I also wouldnt mind having an MS-2000 (gotta love all the knobs), I'll be lucky if I ever get around to actually getting an Emulator 2 or a Korg Monopoly :? for the sake of owning an actual classic synth.
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Post by EmptySet » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:26 am

I have a JX8P and a JX10. The latter popped up on craigslist recently and I couldn't resist. Plus, it might help me figure out what I did wrong putting my 8P's aftertouch back together. Does that count has having three JX8Ps? :wink:

I also have two JX3P's (I know, I'm a Roland maniac)… but the second one was for parts. Hoping to one day maybe resurrect the dead 3P, but we'll see.

Rangoon

Post by Rangoon » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:22 am

This picture is always a fun one to throw around....
Picture 0011.JPG

Dano

Post by Dano » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:38 am

Rangoon wrote:This picture is always a fun one to throw around....
Wow - Is that a photo editing trick or do you really have 4 P5s? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

druzz
Band: November's Ego

Post by druzz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:06 am

i have 2 akai ax73. exchanged a guitar for the second one. i use them mainly as midi controllers. they have the keyboard split function and there is a lot of room on top of them for tabletop units. they are usefull but i would be ready to trade one of them.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:46 am

I recently got a second jp8000. It was at a very good price and barely used.

My rationalization ran like this...
I want to use it in a band. My first one is rather worn out - volume knob dodgy, one button for selecting patches hardly works and generally the poor plasticy build quality is showing up in wobbly knobs (!) etc
I guess I wanted to concentrate on just one really great synth with this band and the jp800 seemed a good choice as its also light and small (ish). I wouldn't have trusted my first one to not be frustratingly imperfect and I didn't really think these were fixable faults. Also in my dreams - the backup 2nd synth for the American tour....!

I wouldn't have bought a second if synth prices weren't getting ridiculously low where I live, but I'm glad I did. So good to not constantly be scared that something would finally break off and strain at working arround the worn out bits. I said I'd sell the second and maybe I will. Though I'v got some nice homemade patches on it.... more rationalizations...
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:11 am

I have 3 Wavestations (original, EX and SR) just because I love the sound and the look. Also 2 D-50s for the same reason and 2 Drum Stations because found the 2nd one in a much better condition :)
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Snarecrash

Post by Snarecrash » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:45 am

2 x MAM MB33II, so i can use one as actual bassmachine and the other to feed an external source into the VCF IN.

Would buy a second JX8P and TR707 when they would come across.

Mr Rich
Gear: Excessive.

Post by Mr Rich » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:43 am

Z wrote:Before the 2000's, it was not uncommon to see multiples of the same synth. I love seeing those photos of the 90's where you see racks and racks of samplers wondering how much they spent on them back then and what they're worth now.
We didn't have a lot of options back then. I commit everything to my DAW as audio now and the track count is seemingly limitless. Back in the day, when working with 24 track tape machines, it was more limiting; we mostly had to run a SMPTE track on the machine and run all the keyboards 'live' via midi (or worse!). I remember that you'd cue to a song that you'd previously worked on, load the song on the Atari (Steinberg Pro 24 for me - remember that?) and then endure the aural chaos of all the midi parts playing the wrong synths and wrong sounds. I had a Fairlight too which would inevitably freak out if I played the song from the middle; it would play every single midi event in about one second and make your ears explode.

Multiples of the same synth/sampler were a bit of a 'must', so I ended up with 2 D50s, 2 Super JXs, 2 TX7s with a DX5, 3 samplers, 3 JV1080s and it goes on. I pretty much got rid of the lot in the end.

Multiples I've owned since then have been purely because I like the instrument - and because I have a bad habit of hoarding my old stuff... Allow me to bore you with some pics...

I think I can be forgiven for these two:

The Mk5 and the M400 sound wildly different and I love them both. Sadly the M400 had to go recently to get me through a 'skint' patch...

Not necessary though:

Plain-rude on my part:
Never more than one in working order at any given time though.
All gone now.

Definitely gone! :

I've pretty much remedied things recently and now I only have one of stuff!
Mr Rich
(Eventually tired of Clint.)