Yamaha - enemies of synthsis!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Re: Yamaha - enemies of synthsis!

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:13 am

maindeglorie wrote:So... It's Automatic Gainsay who wanted the CS-1x??? 8)
You know what? Kind of.
In 1996, I had heard Moog Cookbook and The Rentals, and was remembering how I had always been able to get the sounds I wanted out of analog synths. I was craving analog, but I didn't know how many analog synths were around or available (certainly not many in Spokane, WA) [yes, children... the internet existed then, but there wasn't a fraction of the information regarding analog synths as there is now, and there was no eBay] I wanted an analog synth but imagined that they were either too expensive or too rare. While I didn't tell Yamaha of this, I certainly wanted something that looked and felt analog. I ended up buying a Korg Prophecy. I voted for VA with my 1996 dollars.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:45 am

Wait.... a comparison of the Prophecy to the CS-1X? I'm never taking your advice again. haha
The Prophecy was a good synth. I hated programming it, but good nevertheless. Yamaha still had a huge win with the AN-1x, but I'm pretty sure it was an accident that the thing sounded so good, because they never made anything glose to it again.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:19 am

I think Yamaha made a bold move with the Tenori-On, something that doesn't really add up considering the hw market. But respect to Yamaha for developing it. The problem is probably that it is too expensive for most. The idea is brilliant, but I think many decided the Kaossilator was a decent substitute, and at a ridiculously low price.

If Yamaha could slash the price of the Tenori-On, throw in a real Motif engine w/real patch editing (the one present is far too limited), it could prove a winner.
The day of big, expensive hw synths are definately over, but there's still a market for cheaper boxes. Isn't the MicroKorg one of the most popular hw synths of all time? Korg (and Roland) are doing a clever thing, I think, releasing stuff like this - Yamaha should follow. How about an updated FS1r groovebox (similar to the AN-200 & DX-200)?

aeon

Post by aeon » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:49 pm

tom Cadillac wrote:To my ears the fs1r is a contender for the best sounding synth ever.
Now that I own one, and know the sound directly with my own ears, I agree with you.

cheers,
Ian

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:38 pm

maindeglorie wrote:AN-1x, but I'm pretty sure it was an accident that the thing sounded so good, because they never made anything glose to it again.
It wasn't an accident, it was modeled to sound close to Prophet 5. There was one fatal flaw though. AN1x was supposedly designed by... Germans. The Yamaha Europe guys in Germany (the same to introduce CS1x concept), to be exact.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:55 pm

aeon wrote:
tom Cadillac wrote:To my ears the fs1r is a contender for the best sounding synth ever.
Now that I own one, and know the sound directly with my own ears, I agree with you.
That and the K5000 series. The FS1R may just beat it for clarity of sound but the K5000 beats the FS1R for expression.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:19 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:
maindeglorie wrote:AN-1x, but I'm pretty sure it was an accident that the thing sounded so good, because they never made anything glose to it again.
It wasn't an accident, it was modeled to sound close to Prophet 5. There was one fatal flaw though. AN1x was supposedly designed by... Germans. The Yamaha Europe guys in Germany (the same to introduce CS1x concept), to be exact.
you call that a flaw??? (not talking bout the an1x neither bout the germans ;))

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:53 pm

Shreddie wrote:
aeon wrote:
That and the K5000 series. The FS1R may just beat it for clarity of sound but the K5000 beats the FS1R for expression.
I'm not familiar with the K5000 series other than what I've read. I'm definitely intrigued by them. The modulation / controller matrix on the FS1R, though, is pretty expansive.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:12 am

ItsMeOnly wrote:It wasn't an accident, it was modeled to sound close to Prophet 5. There was one fatal flaw though. AN1x was supposedly designed by... Germans. The Yamaha Europe guys in Germany (the same to introduce CS1x concept), to be exact.
How could that be a "flaw"? Considering that Germany are one of the leaders in synthesizer designs, it should initially be a very good idea to hire a German team for the job.

Waldorf is German, same with Native Instruments & Access... These make some of the best synths in the world.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:43 am

ItsMeOnly wrote:
The AN-1x was originally going to be the CS-3x...

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:59 am

Ashe37 wrote:The AN-1x was originally going to be the CS-3x...
Source?

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:32 am

ItsMeOnly wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:The AN-1x was originally going to be the CS-3x...
Source?
Do your research instead of saying "Source?"

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_ar ... aan1x.html

Review of AN1x by Sound On Sound August 1997

"Apparently, the original planned name for AN1x was the CS3x, but the re-naming makes possible a whole new series of 'AN' analogue modelling synths, whilst the CS series can continue with S&S."
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Instrument Panel

Post by Instrument Panel » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

I like Yamaha, I think they've made some excellent synths.
If I had a criticism, it would be that they sometimes make their keyboards physically bigger than they need to be.
Seems un-Japanese. I prefer things to be compact, if possible. :?
But they are not the enemies of synthesis. Or indeed of 'synthsis' (sp).
They are the allies of all who oppose the axis of synth evil - whoever that might be (guitarists probably.)

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:39 pm

Im very fond of Yamaha too. I have owned a CS-10, CS-40M and am now a DX addict, all are fantastic sounding Synths. I will always have a soft spot for the CS range, ever since i had a go on a CS-80 i fell in love with thier distinctive sound.

I don't care what anyone says about the DX7, in my opinion it's one of the most amazing sounding Synths ever produced. And if you put in lots of time like i now have it is not all that bad to program. I also have a DX-11 which is great for simpler DX patches, but the DX7 really kicks some a*s if you know how to program it properly.

Here is my DX7S:

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Syn303 wrote:Do your research instead of saying "Source?"
No mood for starting flame war. It's simply that nobody I know at Yamaha knew about that.