Yamaha - enemies of synthsis!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Re: Yamaha - enemies of synthsis!

Post by Shreddie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:10 am

For those who are interested, here's a demo of a few presets from the FS1R which use formant sequencing (FSeqs).

Be aware that these presets are multi timbral so those sounds with FSeqs may be layered with other non-FSeq sounds.

http://www.mediafire.com/?riryvzggrzz

The patches used are as follows...

Hollywood. The drums are an FSeq, the bass is a separate LFO triggered voice. The FSeq (and LFO) speed is set by the mod wheel.

Yes No. Does what it says on the tin! An FSeq which says Yes No repeatedly... With a backing pad.

Vocotouch. An Fseq based vocal like pad. I slowly swept the mod wheel to change the formant position on this one.

4 - 3 - 2 - 1. I turned off the other parts of this performance leaving only the voice with the FSeq.

Relaxxx. An FSeq rhythmic pad. I swept the formant position via the mod wheel again.

R.P.M. This is a single FSeq triggered voice. The FSeq is triggering both rhythmic parts, the drum line and the vocal like sound. The mod wheel is used to fade in/out the drums.

Bleep. Similar to R.P.M. but with a second voice which provides the 'hit' and weird sound..

Vox Move. One of my favourite sounds on the FS1R. A beautiful choir sound with a very subtle FSeq which helps give it that extra special 'something'. The mod wheel was used at the end.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:36 pm

Great post Kevin, broadly I agree with you, and your musical passion is clear as always.
knolan wrote:They have literally done nothing new in that time
Why do they have to produce something new all the time? They've catered for the niche market which is us folk who enjoy synthesis, and enjoy good keyboard action, ribbon controllers etc. because we like to experiment and push the envelope. There are enough instruments out there, made by Yamaha, for us to get our hands on to do what we need.

But we're a small market. All that cutting edge stuff is subsidised by the digital pianos, guitars etc. that Yamaha sell by the bucketload. Yamaha tends to apply that technology to the more common instruments a few years later. Clearly they made a lot of money with FM, given the diversity of its application.

It's probably also true that there's no cutting edge academic research that is in any way accessible for mass sales- yet! So we'll need to wait. I'm quite happy that the Roland V-Synth is out there. It's an amazing bit of gear. That technology is only surviving because it can be applied to the piano market.

But I think Yamaha are doing very well as they are! All their innovative products are still available on the used market. It's churlish to complain about them, given their excellent track record. Currently, their innovation is being applied to live sound. Their digital desks are taking over. That Yamaha implementation of the technology first emerged in 1988. Point being- they don't give up, if there's money to be made. They're a company capable of seeing very far into the future, as also evidenced by their adoption of FM in the seventies.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Automatic Gainsay wrote:It's a sad time when "do your research" means "enter x into a search engine."
Et tu, Brute?

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:49 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:It's a sad time when "do your research" means "enter x into a search engine."
Et tu, Brute?
And it works....:
"Et tu, Brute?" is a Latin phrase often used poetically to represent the last words of Roman dictator Julius Caesar. Immortalized by Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, the quotation is widely used in Western culture as an epitome of betrayal. :mrgreen:
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Post by 0000 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:31 am

yep fs1r ........ what a great synth in an insane box.......
would take years to be able to move around its parameters
with ease and then it would never be anything but a chore!!!

a key version with a decent interface/screen would have been a killer, no doubt

i was able to load my own samples into my fs1r to use as the fseq stuff

with 2 diffrent sw editors

fun very fun and the sound is up to you but not easy

yamaha is hardly a synth enemy rather a paradox
massively great sounding synths with some massively stupid flaws.
my op

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:07 am

There was a misunderstanding. Sorry, ItsMeOnly! I got all hot for nothing. :)
Last edited by Automatic Gainsay on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 pm

AG no offense but you seem to love making bizarre nonsensical arguments that seemingly, attempt to persuade us that you have no misconceptions about anything synth related. I find the 'hate' that so many people (and you in your above statement) seem to feel to younger aspiring artists/producers frankly offensive. As if you didn't start as a no-nothing newbie - we all did at some point, get over it :wink:

And who the f**k cares where you do your research, it's all about interpreting it and it's sources and determining it's reliability and validity - same for books, the net or the bloke at the pub :thumbleft:

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:07 pm

balma wrote:
ItsMeOnly wrote:
Et tu, Brute?
And it works....:
"Et tu, Brute?" is a Latin phrase often used poetically to represent the last words of Roman dictator Julius Caesar. Immortalized by Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, the quotation is widely used in Western culture as an epitome of betrayal. :mrgreen:
I thought it was "Et tu Brutus?"

Maybe I'm too old school....
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:26 pm

all this shite, simply because the AN1x started life as the CS3x, you sad bunch of gits :lol:

@Itsmeonly - just because you worked for Yamaha or something like that, they ain't gonna tell you everything are they, especially Yamaha's R&D department in Japan.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:35 pm

Syn303 wrote:...you sad bunch of gits :lol:
I thought that was a prerequisite around here :wink:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:07 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:

in fact it was "tu quoque, brute". the "e" instead of "us" is the imperative in latin. but it is highly likely that he didnt say anything at all after 23 stabs with knifes, as well as that brutus wasnt really his son, if those guys really existed after all... ;)

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:38 pm

Why is this stupid thread more popular than the vastly more fun Novachord restoration thread?

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:17 pm

pflosi wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:

in fact it was "tu quoque, brute". the "e" instead of "us" is the imperative in latin. but it is highly likely that he didnt say anything at all after 23 stabs with knifes, as well as that brutus wasnt really his son, if those guys really existed after all... ;)
Geez, the things you learn at VS.

Thanks! :mrgreen:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:45 pm

madtheory wrote:Why is this stupid thread more popular than the vastly more fun Novachord restoration thread?
because that's a "slow regurgitation thread"

I'm gonna vomit this one soon!
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:46 pm

Syn303 wrote:@Itsmeonly - just because you worked for Yamaha or something like that, they ain't gonna tell you everything are they, especially Yamaha's R&D department in Japan.
Well, I didn't work for Yamaha, I just know people who do. My knowledge is that works on what eventually became AN1x started before CS series was even conceived. In fact it was SUPPOSED to be CS series resurrection. Japanese didn't think it was safe bet though, so they opted for less sophisticated design.