OBie Love 8^ )

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

OBie Love 8^ )

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:32 pm

dedicated to all things OBie, post your favorite anecdotes, examples and impressions of T.O.'s wonderful instruments...

Well, ladies and tool-farmers - I've recently acquired a puuurty OB-Xa 6-voice.
:mrgreen:

I'm loving the forward, cutting sound of this one. Next to the ghostly, spaced-out A6 this is like the mad, serious meathead cousin that farts on the couch and yet holds the line strong as an ox. Waves of crushing grit emanate from this instrument.
Me Likey.

here's 3 tracks of the OB-Xa that I recorded today via the new ZED-R16 mixer.
Dry, no F/X or anything:

Last edited by shaft9000 on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: OB- LUV

Post by nadafarms » Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:35 pm

Yay, I gotta say the obxa is pretty sweet and I'm a poly hater!

nice catch
for sale/trade: EML-101

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: OBie Love 8^ )

Post by Solderman » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:32 pm

Just wanted to compliment the fine job you did on your demo. I don't think I even played my 6-voice OBXa for 11 minutes in total, the entire four years I owned one. Mine sounded flat, muddy, dull and characterless in comparison to yours, and I was happy to sell it(for $700 in 2002) as part of trading up to a Virus b. Now I think I must have gotten a dud. :cry:
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:45 pm

thanks Sm!
btw there is a bit of reverb, i think, on the S&H track.
clusterchord caught it in another forum.
busted! :oops:

anyhow, the other two are dry, for sure. i just checked the original multi and indeed the 1st 3 minutes of one of the tracks is reverberated. Doh.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

WhinyLittleRunt

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:20 am

Interesting use of sounds. I like it!

The OB series is definitely very colorful and musical.
I like vintage synths....

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:05 pm

shaft9000 wrote:dedicated to all things OBie, post your favorite anecdotes, examples and impressions of T.O.'s wonderful instruments...
well, i've given my detailed impressions on these two on the similar thread on GearSlutz already, so i'lll join the party with a pic of my two oberheims. one on top is an angry pissed-off beast, and underneath it, a cholesterole overdose.. if i evar manage to squezze enough pennies for yet another polyhponic, in these uncertain times, it will be Xpander, and with that i'd round up my dream trio, the three distinctive Obehreim sounds, or three generations of oberheim polyphonics.. discrete, early cem, and late 337x cem..

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:57 pm

I wish I could get my hands on an OB-X. I heart most the demos I hear of that thing, nothing else sounds like it. It has a ghostly haunting quality to it. It’s one of the few synths I lust after anymore. I remember a few popping up on ebay between a year or two ago and they were generally going for <$2k and I still wish I would have grabbed one but at the time I thought: too much maintenance, need to add expensive mid kit, not very feature rich. I wish I would have just done it. I would definitely part with some gear to get my hands on one now.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again