Will the Linn drum ll be released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
computron
Band: Computron

Will the Linn drum ll be released?

Post by computron » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:14 pm

any time soon ? When say I soon as in sometime next year or two ? His site http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products ... ndex.shtml
says he's looking at working on it from his company and not with Dave Smith as there very busy pumping out synths.I hope this gets made I realy do.Im a fan of the classic linn and I am a super huge mpc fan.The wait is killing me and fears of a idea not coming to light are a real downer anyone have any news or thoughts??
Living the Electro Life

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Re: Will the Linn drum ll be released?

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:21 pm

computron wrote:any time soon ? When say I soon as in sometime next year or two ? His site http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products ... ndex.shtml
says he's looking at working on it from his company and not with Dave Smith as there very busy pumping out synths.I hope this gets made I realy do.Im a fan of the classic linn and I am a super huge mpc fan.The wait is killing me and fears of a idea not coming to light are a real downer anyone have any news or thoughts??
surely if RL himself is not saying anything, we're not going to have any better guesses? :roll:
Do you even post on vse bro?

computron

Post by computron » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:32 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
computron wrote:any time soon ? When say I soon as in sometime next year or two ? His site http://www.rogerlinndesign.com/products ... ndex.shtml
surely if RL himself is not saying anything, we're not going to have any better guesses? :roll:

Your right instead of news I should have said does anyone have any oppions on when and if it will still be made? I hope it does :D I was very excited about this when I first heard about it awhile back and still Im about it. =P~
Living the Electro Life

xonox

Post by xonox » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Someone has to make an MPC competitor. With 4 midi outs and 2 midi ins (no less). But with better OS support.

Akai is scary when it comes to OS updates. Otherwise that MPC5000 would be more tempting!

Do you think the Linndrum II will include a sequencer for external machines ?

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:31 pm

never
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:49 pm

+1 on never because they keep making changes to it. I wish they'd left it alone as the Boom Chik.

Deepest respect to Dave & Roger, but c'mon!

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:57 pm

Z wrote: I wish they'd left it alone as the Boom Chik!
+1 agreed
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:39 pm

wiss wrote:
Z wrote: I wish they'd left it alone as the Boom Chik!
+1 agreed
+1 again....

Once they got rid of boomchik (by far the best of the designs for me) it seemed doomed to drift into nothing.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:58 pm

I think they should give up!

and Roger should just come out with his own MPC style all digital sampling drum machine.
for sale/trade: EML-101

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:31 pm

nadafarms wrote:I think they should give up!

and Roger should just come out with his own MPC style all digital sampling drum machine.
They shouldn't give up. They owe it to the pulic (so to speak) to release the damn thing in some form or fashion since it has been talked about for years. Even to go as far as to have a moch unit at NAMM.

Honestly, I think it will get released, but I don't think sales will be significant becasue of all of the delays. They're just a little late to the game. I can certainly understand wanting to add ore features to the machine, but that only drives up the MSRP price. h**l, look at the MPC5000, barely been out 2 years and used units are bringing just over a grand.

I think they'd be most successful with the original Boom Chik concept: should be able to finish design and production soon and keep the price point for most musicians. Whatever happens, I wish them the best of luck.

computron

Post by computron » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:22 am

[
Z wrote:I wish they'd left it alone as the Boom Chik.

Deepest respect to Dave & Roger, but c'mon!

I think that was the most instresting design as well .

Speaking of the mpc 5000 I thought the boom chik was a something that could compete well with it when the 5000 was first released synth wise.The synth engine on the mpc5000 is wicked and the chops and edits to the synths can do amazing things.Im all for D.S. to make something along the mpc lines. SEQ synth and would be great with a sampler.It could show korg just how its done :D
Last edited by computron on Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Living the Electro Life

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:32 am

Maybe they feel too much pressure from the "Beat Thang"... :lol:

I am starting to feel as though the Spectralis can do what I was hoping the Linn drum II would do plus more. Not buying anything major at the moment so I can wait to see what the LDII is all about. Hopefully it has some futuristic next level stuff.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:15 am

A Linndrum II would be cool, but I think I might get another MPC soon, a 2500 this time. I'm not holding my breath for the LDII.

My ideal LDII would have the DSI filters but just for running samples through. I don't feel the need to have an inbuilt synth in a sampling drum machine, if I want that I can just buy a Tetra.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:19 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Maybe they feel too much pressure from the "Beat Thang"... :lol:
Yeah, I heard development has been severely delayed because Roger is still rofling about how the Beat Kangs accused him of stealing their ideas. Including the idea of 'blue', which was apparently one of theirs to begin with.

Dj Pound
Gear: Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532

Post by Dj Pound » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:27 am

I think the Beat Wang went belly up to tell you the truth. All kinds of people on the MPC-forums got scammed buying some buggy Kang software, they never got their money back either.

I do hope the Linn drum still drops. Judging from the specs thus far it could be an MPC killer :mrgreen:
Korg ESX-1
Korg EMX-1
Korg ES-1
Microkorg
Akai MPC-2000XL
Boss Br-532