Will the Linn drum ll be released?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Re: Will the Linn drum ll be released?

Post by RobotHeroes » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:29 am

Don't forget about the urban super powers in their commercial. I don't see the LinnDrum II throwing any hadoukens or breaking backboards being street.

I hope it doesn't turn into some workstation. A sampler sequencer with some sound sculpting power that has it's own magic touch would be cool. Sampling. Sampling synthesis awesomeness. A sequencer with parameter locks or something cool. :happy2:
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:09 pm

I think it will be released... I just don't think it'll be what we necessarily want.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:57 pm

JSRockit wrote:I think it will be released... I just don't think it'll be what we necessarily want.
well... if they relaese something that we necessarily don't want... is not a good way to start selling. :lol:
something like selling expensive warm water in a hot summer party while other sell tons of iced cocacola.

DSI started with a great idea of making the linn drum 2... then... I don't know what happened... they turned the project into something different... that's quite a pity. A great analog drumbox is really a new toy that everybody wants. Machinedrum is great but really cold/digital sounding. Great for electro but not for everybody.

I really hope this thing doesn't turn into something different only to justify a really expensive piece of hw.

and... cmon DSI give us some news about that...

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:44 pm

RobotHeroes wrote:Don't forget about the urban super powers in their commercial. :
If you are referring to the "Beat Thang" God help us . I was watching the video from Namm I think on Sonicstate when that commercial came on I literately felt my hop slam go in to my sinus cavity . Funny not in that family guy ; Stewy realizing it's Peters breast he's been suckling on , but in the Cabin Boy or Repo Man kind of way . :?

Aside from the video that made Bone ThugzN'Harmony look suddenly much more macho and "gangsta" did anyone notice how the background music totally failed to show the drum machine's abilities to sound like anything better than old ez40 after to much malt liquor and 3 days of strait ear fatigue ? :lol:
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:50 pm

Z wrote:+1 on never because they keep making changes to it. I wish they'd left it alone as the Boom Chik.

Deepest respect to Dave & Roger, but c'mon!
They only way to say that without coming across disrespectful is to follow it like this :

C'MON !
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:45 pm

I didn't have any faith that the synthesis part of the project would be any good anyway. Proper drum synthesis is not 1 or 2 oscillators running through a filter and envelope, like a keyboard synth, it needs totally different circuits for each sound to make a proper analog drum synth, and that is something Dave Smith has never done.

TBh I think the whole announce it before you even start working on it thing was a mistake, then getting pulled about by a million opinions of what it should be. Bad design process IMHO.
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:08 am

i think this pretty well summarises it.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Buy a tetra, program drum sounds, use with a cheap MPC.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:56 pm

PROGRAMMING FM = DRUM SOUNDS = =D>
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:58 am

balma wrote:PROGRAMMING FM = DRUM SOUNDS = =D>
i'm going to agree, some of my favourite E-drum sounds have come from FM synths.

Post by 0000 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:02 am

tekkentool wrote:
balma wrote:PROGRAMMING FM = DRUM SOUNDS = =D>
i'm going to agree, some of my favourite E-drum sounds have come from FM synths.
and the best ever imo the fs1r

4 parts kik, sn, hat, ???.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:21 am

If it would have all the samples from the original Linns that would be pretty nice.

Just not sure whether there was also something else about the original designs - not just the samples - that gave them that sound. Inspired by that stupid spat on the "dumbest things said about synths" that I myself got involved in for some reason, I've done some further comparisons between the DX7 and the FM7 and I'm starting to think the original clearly kicks the software in the nuts. It's a bit depressing actually, as I've always insisted that items like the DX7 or 80s drum machines should be pretty easy to emulate if you just get the code right.

The third design was the nicest one, I like the tilted screen. Just replace the ends with proper wood and don't let Dave Smith decide on what fonts to use. ;)

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:50 pm

I don't like the original Evolver knobs, so I like the 2nd and 3rd designs. The 2nd makes it look like a drum synth, the 3rd more like a workstation sampler. Both are nice though. I want synthesis in the Linndrum 2. I don't want an MPC sample player.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:00 pm

As obviously no one is reading the sampler section, I'll ask in here as well.

This is the demo from the LinnDrum page on VSE.

I can not find these samples in the LinnDrum kit floating around the internet.. Are they from some custom ROMs or something? Does anyone have them?

kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by kuroichi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:53 pm

D-Collector wrote:As obviously no one is reading the sampler section, I'll ask in here as well.

This is the demo from the LinnDrum page on VSE.

I can not find these samples in the LinnDrum kit floating around the internet.. Are they from some custom ROMs or something? Does anyone have them?
They're from the linndrum II, but it hasnt been released... ;)
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!