Arp Odussey Lumina upgrade by CMS (Phil Cirocco). WHEN!?!?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
sensorium

Arp Odussey Lumina upgrade by CMS (Phil Cirocco). WHEN!?!?

Post by sensorium » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:12 pm

I've always wanted to do this upgrade, but the website hasn't been updated for over a year. Still says it will be available in June 2009, but I have never received a response from Phil on the subject (4+ e-mails). Does anyone have a relationship with Phil to check the status of this?
http://www.discretesynthesizers.com/arp ... rp2800.htm

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Arp Odussey Lumina upgrade by CMS (Phil Cirocco). WHEN!?!?

Post by nadafarms » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:23 pm

wow 4 emails not returned and you still want to send your arp to him... communication with customers is one of the most important things
for sale/trade: EML-101

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:31 pm

I hear ya, but I've heard good things about his work. I was sort of banking on the possibility that one of our spam filters was to blame.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:44 pm

That sucks, I was just about to order a set for an Odyssey I just picked up that has some bad sliders.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:42 am

That Lumina mod seems so expensive to me. AND it requires an additional plug I believe?

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:47 am

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:02 pm

maindeglorie wrote:That Lumina mod seems so expensive to me. AND it requires an additional plug I believe?
Agreed. So much money and time so that me and my friends can be dazzled by a weird christmas tree synth? The new sliders from synth restore are about $180, and I've been happy with his other products. The CMS ones after shipping and a buying a much hated wall wart are around $400 :shock:

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 pm

jesus, that does look like a christmas tree... probably woudl be better wiht choice of orange blue white LEDs instead of the chritmas combo..

btw i was sniffing arround the site a bit... doesn't he overcharge a bit? quite a bit? .. just one example: "professionally installing " four 1/4" line level jacks... $99.... and installing sync switches.. $169 :shock:

my tech can do both... on the ARP2600 for round $50 plus cost of jacks and switches...

one thing tho is insteresting on CMS product/service list... that is the encapsulated 4012cx module... it says $299 (i presume with installation), i wonder are these available for sale separately.. and how much would they be, if they are ?

im making sort of a clone of 2600 in my blacet frac.. im getting oakleys 4019 VCA, and also 2600-based ringmod.. VCOs wont be ARP, but SSM2030, unless i get some from emu archive site. so i need a good 4012 clone.. ill be making a 4072/4075 from Yu-Synth PCB.. so i would have both famous ARP filters in one machine.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:11 pm

I believe there is a guy in europe offering those 2600 modules for half the price, I was looking into it when I was potentially buying a busted 2600. That guy returned my emails too within 24 hours...

screw the illumination mod I want a lava lamp minimoog!

clusterchord

Post by clusterchord » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:17 pm

nadafarms wrote:I believe there is a guy in europe offering those 2600 modules for half the price, I was looking into it when I was potentially buying a busted 2600. That guy returned my emails too within 24 hours...

screw the illumination mod I want a lava lamp minimoog!

wow, have you still got that contact by any chance ?!?!?! email, website, phone, whatever.. (u can PM me if u prefer)

question is: there are filter clones.. and there are filter clones... not all are done with outmost care to be as true to original as they could. there are many different aproximations, sometimes in crucial elements.. and they completely miss the boat. for ex, theres abbundance of moog ladder clones on the market. everyone and their mother is making one. yet only a handful are quality, that can sound very close or near identical to the original.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:22 pm

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:23 pm

looks like he has a whole submodules replcement kits

I asked him about the filter and he said it would have been a month or two but he can make them

clusterchord

Post by clusterchord » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:35 pm

ah yeah, ive seen him bfr... you can get a finished 4019 module in frac or euro, w panel and jacks, from Oakley (who has a track record) for 4 pounds less. so this is not exactly cheap.

http://www.krisp1.com/3u/vca.htm

also, what bugs me, the original design of ARP vcos, even if you make the accurate PCB and all, needs to be epoxied, to transfer heat, to achieve any kind of stability and tracking range, at least according to emulator archive ARP data. and anglianart doesn't epoxy them.. i mean anyone can make that PCB and solder that on.. and put it on bay..

i'm not saying he's not good, just thinking out loud.. hmmhm if we had any customer feedback, sound demos , things liek that.. i'd be more willing to pull the trigger..

schmidtc

Post by schmidtc » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:27 am

If I recall correctly anglianart is the same person as synthrestore.co.uk. His replacement VCO sounds identical upon close inspection to the other 2 in my 2600, none of which are epoxied. For replacement ARP parts like this it's either him or CMS as far as I know, but there are tons of people making modules that clone them.

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:30 am

schmidtc wrote:If I recall correctly anglianart is the same person as synthrestore.co.uk. His replacement VCO sounds identical upon close inspection to the other 2 in my 2600, none of which are epoxied. For replacement ARP parts like this it's either him or CMS as far as I know, but there are tons of people making modules that clone them.
I have them in mine too!
They sound identical and don't drift like the old one does. But it isn't cheap. Ehe. I also got his S/H clone.
Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9