what is the best synthesizer from the 2000's (2000-2010) ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Re: what is the best synthesizer from the 2000's (2000-2010) ?

Post by mao » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:How about;

Analog Poly - Alesis A6 Andromeda (& Sunsyn)

Analog Mono - Moog Voyager

Analog Modular - MacBeth M5

Digital Hardware - Roland V-Synth

Digital Software - NI Reaktor 5

There, nice list :wink:
^^^^^This is THE ANSWER.^^^^

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:30 pm

Monomachine
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:39 pm

JSRockit wrote:Monomachine

I second that- coolest box

Andy - insane analog

modular- Macbeth all day

But there are so many other good synths too.Ten years is a long time I cant say what is the best in those years.Too many are best at VERY different things. :P
Living the Electro Life

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:37 pm

Access Virus TI for the win.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:37 pm

V-Synth
NI Absynth

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:48 pm

Despite being owner and addict user from the V synth, I don't see it as the coolest one from the last 10 years. I would give my vote to the Andromeda or Poly Evolver. Vsynth has an average VA with an insane sampler, but this kind of elastic pitch sampling technology already came with the VIP 9000..... but indeed, V synth is the best synth form Roland of the last 10 years.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:00 pm

Analog; Macbeth

Digital; Access Virus TI

Software; FM7

It's been a hard fought decade, really - so many boutique makers and so much choice, possibly better than it's ever been. I chose the Macbeth because it represents all that analog means to me - boutique, handmade, sonically excellent. I chose the Virus because no other VA has the power and breadth of palette that the TI has.
Less words more noise

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:04 pm

Cybercardinal wrote:Andy yes...or Microwave XTk :D
XTk was out before 2000.
Hybrid88 wrote:How about;

Analog Poly - Alesis A6 Andromeda (& Sunsyn)

Analog Mono - Moog Voyager

Analog Modular - MacBeth M5

Digital Hardware - Roland V-Synth

Digital Software - NI Reaktor 5

There, nice list :wink:
Workstation - Alesis Fusion (after they'd got the OS sorted!).

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:16 pm

well, I haven't tried that many to tell, but to me, the Monomachine fits well in with the top of this decade.
I also think certain synths that also will be regarded "classics" of this era are the Evolvers, Virus TI, Nord Modulars (or are they as old as the 90's? they can't be?) and maybe the Blofeld.

oh wait, I guess Spectralis, both versions for "best"

D-rex
Gear: DSI Tetra, Moog MF-102 & MF-105, Vestax Controller One, Rane TTM-56, Akai XR20, Korg Kontrol 49
Band: Anti-Dream Machine

Post by D-rex » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:25 pm

Some of my favorite gear made in the last 10 years-

Moog: Voyager (select series & old school) & Midi Murf Moogerfooger

Dave Smith Instruments: Prophet 08 & Tetra

Doepfer: Dark Energy

Jomox: Xbase 999

guillermotin

Post by guillermotin » Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:11 pm

honourable mentions to the Mono Evolver and the Blofeld, for sure...

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:12 pm

analog: Andromeda. without a shadow of a doubt. the fact it has been produced in original, unaltered form for almost 10 years, speaks for itself. no other analog has accomplished that. it just surpassed minimoog as well. not even digitals, cept if you count in those that got altered/updated in the process, like for example several versions of K2000.

today, market is spoiled by analog emulation vsti and unlimited posibilities ITB, sacrificing sound quality for tons and tons of features. but still, the fact you can buy a true analog 16 voice VCO polyphonic with twin filters per voice, and semi modular arhitecture, and don't have to sell your house to do it, is mind blowing. even if it was dbl in price it still be worth it.

Omega is just phenomenal, but its a less original design all together. compared to A6, its limited and price-performance is beyond compare. all in all, it is a marvelous rolce royce. but i dont vote rolce royce a car of the year or decade.

digital: hard to pick one. nothing as monumental but i'd perhaps choose Neuron Hartmann, as short lived it was, still it was fresh and phenomenal sounding. Kyma, even tho it exists from before and its a constant work-in-progress, but in last 10 yrs its really out-of-this-world what this system can do. i should mention Waldorf XT too, tho its also a re-design of an earlier machine(s). but the whole package makes it a true classic.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:39 pm

clusterchord wrote:analog: Andromeda. without a shadow of a doubt. the fact it has been produced in original, unaltered form for almost 10 years, speaks for itself. no other analog has accomplished that. it just surpassed minimoog as well. not even digitals, cept if you count in those that got altered/updated in the process, like for example several versions of K2000.
You could say the same about the Sunsyn - maybe. I'm pretty sure it was first /shown/ in 1999, but I don't know when it went to market. Well, it's not in production anymore, and I think the A6 still is.

Still, IMHO, the Sunsyn was strikingly clever and novel in its design and sound, and even now, it still is. But, I don't think he sold anywhere near as many Sunsyns as Alesis and Numark have sold Andromedas. Alesis' synth was a revolution. JoMoX's, a revelation ;)
Yours,
Niall.

Gear: TB-303, MC-505, MC-09, V-Synth GT, FR-777, FR-XS, MFB: Synth II, EMU Proteus 2500/CS, FS1R, Supernova II, Fusion 6HD, ER-1 MKII
Band: 23, A23P, Piss Ant

Post by 23 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:58 pm

The modern day digital ubber modulars (i.e. Kyma) are truly in a league all their own at this point.
So leaving such moder modular systems out of the picture.

Roland V-Synth GT would get my vote.

I'd have to place the Alesis Andromeda in honorable mention however, and though to a lesser degree, would also have to give an honorable mention to the Hartmann Neuron.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:50 am

syncretism wrote:
clusterchord wrote:analog: Andromeda. without a shadow of a doubt. the fact it has been produced in original, unaltered form for almost 10 years, speaks for itself. no other analog has accomplished that. it just surpassed minimoog as well. not even digitals, cept if you count in those that got altered/updated in the process, like for example several versions of K2000.
You could say the same about the Sunsyn - maybe. I'm pretty sure it was first /shown/ in 1999, but I don't know when it went to market. Well, it's not in production anymore, and I think the A6 still is.

Still, IMHO, the Sunsyn was strikingly clever and novel in its design and sound, and even now, it still is. But, I don't think he sold anywhere near as many Sunsyns as Alesis and Numark have sold Andromedas. Alesis' synth was a revolution. JoMoX's, a revelation ;)
youre right, like with A6, that first announcements were made in 1999. however Sunsyn didn't really arrive to the market 3yrs later, first full mag reviews were made in late 2002. i dunno the exact full release date, when ppl could actually buy one. it stopped being avail in 2008 iirc.

anyway, i don't feel Sunsyn is comparable in this context, as these were practially hand-made boutique products, in small numbers. sold only a tiny fraction of andromedas numbers. i mean not to take anything from Sunsyn, but the point i was making, bringing up years of manufacture numbers, has significance only in the world of mass-produced synths, big companies, where it really means something, if a synth isn't pulled off from the production line for 10 years.

imo a good comparison would be minimoog. its sales back then, when moog was a big company, and with lotta competition, was a sure indicator of the minimoogs quality and significance. selling 12000 of anything analog gotta mean something.

that being said, it be interesting to find out the sale figures of Andromeda, in these last 10 yrs.. i'm pretty sure it surpassed jupiters and obxa figures.. but prophet or minimoog... i doubt it. im just guessing its probably the second or third placed in all time analog sales.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc