what is the best synthesizer from the 2000's (2000-2010) ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Re: what is the best synthesizer from the 2000's (2000-2010) ?

Post by Shreddie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:22 am

pflosi wrote:so how about putting together a collection of factors to decide what "best" should mean in this thread?

eg:

best bang for the buck
Andromeda
best features
Andromeda
best sound
Andromeda
best selling
Not the Andromeda!

breitt

Post by breitt » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:23 am

Yeah-"best" is an adjective that goes far into subjective territory, but for sheer amazing potential and uniqueness, the Spectralis II has to rank near the top.
Elektron Analog 4

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:22 am

Shreddie wrote:
pflosi wrote:so how about putting together a collection of factors to decide what "best" should mean in this thread?

eg:

best bang for the buck
Andromeda
best features
Andromeda
best sound
Andromeda
best selling
Not the Andromeda!
:lol: i agree

japan

Post by japan » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:32 am

Andromeda. Hands Down.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:30 am

Face it people the microkorg IS the synth of the 00's. it has now become the sound of the 2000's, it's distinctive, and pops up everywhere in pop music, to the point that it's sound is known to the unwashed masses. so when producers want to sound like the rest of the pop group they go straight to it, in the same way a punk bassist would be using a fender precision.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:31 am

A6 Andromeda rack version... (a developer said that it was ready but Alesis never put it on the market). :evil:

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 am

I hate the Andromeda ( read I can't afford one ) ;)
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:57 am

Shreddie wrote:Workstation - Alesis Fusion (after they'd got the OS sorted!).
Over the Oasys? Really?

danbroad
Gear: TSC4 P12 NI9

Post by danbroad » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:40 am

Vying for the title of 'synth of the noughties' has to be either the MicroKorg or the Virus - both ubiquitous, both used in many more recordings than the rest... The microKorg seems to be as much an indie/rock band staple as the guitars, and the Virus [B/C/Ti] practically owns dance music at the moment...

Whether that defines best is another thing. I happen to think the Virus Ti is the pinnacle of digital synthesis for now - not just a VA [and it irks me when folks forget its awesome FM/Wavetable/Granular/Formant capabilities], but I understand on here that we're a niche who might consider the more esoteric stuff.

There's a raft of lovely analog stuff - from Moogs to SEM's to MFB's to Cwejmans to FR777's to xoxboxes and Andromedas, from modular components to the DSI 'analog for the people' approach. Digital's still fighting hard - from the Virus and Solaris to the Arturia hybrids and Radias, R3. Workstations have never sounded so good, with the Motif being my favourite and the Oasys being the most ambitious.

And all of this whilst in the red corner, Vst and AU plugins bring emulations and new synthesis to anyone with a computer, all the more remarkable that a full DAW setup can be made for free thanks to the generosity of others. The internet's made a great deal of this possible - worldwide distribution networks for niche products, online distribution of free plugins, sharing of music from lesser known artists via Youtube, iTunes and others.

We've never had it so good. We can research new stuff better than ever before, integrate it better than ever before, and publish it to the world faster and more efficiently than we ever could. Some might miss the 200-mile trips to audition a new synth, or the hours spent digging through vinyl and CD's in dusty backstreet record stores. I don't, because if this is the brave new world, I'm all for it.
Less words more noise

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:49 pm

If you let software in here, Absynth. Wouldn't need it myself really for much anything, but many do use it extensively. It's fairly innovative and could be basically the most popular vsti out of all those that do not simply emulate older subtractive analog or fm synths.

Hardware: no real idea. I'll just say the Moog Voyager due to it being the first big step in the right direction in the manufacturing of synths after quite a while. Of course the sound and the user interface are wonderful on their own right, but I'm not always sure whether it's still match for many of the older analogs. I've hardly tried everything that's out there.

The Access Virus I'd call more like the DX7 of this decade.

japan

Post by japan » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:58 pm

The Alesis Andromeda brought back to life a 'forgotten' concept: a real analog polyphonic synthesizer. Even with financial problems, Alesis could do it, although Numark came in a critical moment, it was a lucky situation. I like a lot the Korg MS2000 and Microkorg, but I think that Korg should have balls and develop an analog synthesizer again.I DON'T have an A6, but i will...I hope so.
"the simple life is no longer there..."

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:22 pm

danbroad wrote:We've never had it so good.
I'm glad that someone else feels the same way. It's always fun to complain about this or that aspect of the current market in synthesizers, but it does seem like there are a LOT of options out there right now.

As for synthesizer of the decade, I suspect that the Access Virus TI will be remembered as the defining machine of the era.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:53 pm

Another vote for the Andromeda. Though I'v only just ordered one!

I guess my ears are getting better as I go deeper into this synth thing. Recently I was comparing a Chroma Polaris up against a JP8000 and heard real analogue as much richer, musical, yummier, more scrumptoious.... than digital. So yeah a real analogue polysynth. No contest. And with the Prophet 08 I'm a bet worried about how many folks are already selling there's on...?
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Tsarik
Gear: Future Retro XS, Eventide Eclipse, Novation X-Station, Waldorf Microwave XT

Post by Tsarik » Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:31 am

i think the Future Retro XS is pretty damn badass for recent kit