what is the best synthesizer from the 2000's (2000-2010) ?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: what is the best synthesizer from the 2000's (2000-2010) ?

Post by tekkentool » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:26 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
tekkentool wrote:
felis wrote:Pretty sure that everything mentioned in the last 2 posts was introduced before 2000.

Can't really think of any noteworthy new technique or feature that was introduced since 2000.

physical modelling sample synthesis?
Also first surround sound synth - fun fact of the day :lol:

Laptop genius BT loves Neurons apparently, when his studio's not getting robbed that is - poor guy, I think he lost one of these.

oh yeah, hans zimmer w***e's it up because it has 5.1 surround sound.

and i've never actually listened to BT :oops:

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:31 pm

^^^ the Neuron was very interesting, and somewhat similiarly (being that i expect that i will never touch one) is the John Bowen Solaris. a very cool synth and i especially like the look of the user interface. if only money and space weren't concerns, i would love to have one of these...
[thumbnail]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/340 ... de030e.jpg[/thumbnail]
my vote however goes to Roland's V-Synth GT ... understandably not the most popular synth here, i assume because this is one of the few synths to have come out that looks solidly towards to the future. the V-Synth GT is exactly what i imagined some 15 years ago when i first got into synthesis and was thinking about the 'perfect synth'

the late 90's and 00's made me a fan of Roland. it was great watching them constantly testing the waters with new products, many market failures, but to keep pushing and finally bring all of their ideas together with the V-Synth ... which unfortunately many people still don't quite get. I really hope going into the next decade they can keep that spirit.

and my honorable mention goes to Dave Smith Instruments, in specific, the Evolvers.

felis

Post by felis » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:37 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:

....physical modelling sample synthesis?

Can you give a quick description of "physical modelling sample synthesis"?

Most people know the individual terms - 'physical modelling', 'sampling', and 'synthesis'.

From what I remember of the Neuron, they basically gave new terms to established techniques. I could be wrong though, because I've never heard an adequate description.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:10 am

_seph wrote:^^^ the Neuron was very interesting, and somewhat similiarly (being that i expect that i will never touch one) is the John Bowen Solaris. a very cool synth and i especially like the look of the user interface. if only money and space weren't concerns, i would love to have one of these...
[thumbnail]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3316/340 ... de030e.jpg[/thumbnail]
I see this the first time, so help me... does this REALLY have CEM / SSM Oscs / Filters?????? please tell me it's just modelling

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:57 am

It's just modelling. Read the specs, specifically polyphony, then work out how big a pile all those CEMs and SSMs would be. ;)

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:38 am

tekkentool wrote:...and i've never actually listened to BT :oops:
Oh well we can't have that!

His latest ;)

felis wrote:
Hybrid88 wrote:
....physical modelling sample synthesis?
Can you give a quick description of "physical modelling sample synthesis"?

Most people know the individual terms - 'physical modelling', 'sampling', and 'synthesis'.

From what I remember of the Neuron, they basically gave new terms to established techniques. I could be wrong though, because I've never heard an adequate description.
That was Tek that said that, but I think the Neuron uses Neuronal synthesis which is similar to the way neurons in the brain work - one sound fires another and so on, correct me if I am wrong here I might be way off. Anyway from what I gather it roughly allows you to import a sample and apply synthesis to it to create weird digital manipulations based off the sample, can get very complex with the "neurons" delaying and modulating the original sound - and in 5:1 should you so desire :D

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:27 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:It's just modelling. Read the specs, specifically polyphony, then work out how big a pile all those CEMs and SSMs would be. ;)
yes, ur right. thank god, the andy is still the best ;)

oh, wait... how about a big modular (like 10 times minimoog specs) and a polyphonic midi-cv interface (i.e. volta)? :)

Umbe78
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: NE3 73, MD & MM SFX6, MEK, JP4 & JX3P, Yamaha FGX, Gibson SG, Live 8.2 Suite, Komplete 7, Launchpad, Touchable
Band: The Punker

Post by Umbe78 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:58 am

analog : Moog Voyager
digital : Virus TI
hybrid : Poly Evolver
software : Absynth 5

It's obvious that I answer this... I have mono evolver , ti Snow and Absynth 4 ... and I wanna upgrade all them :lol:
just one of us

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:08 pm

Prog house?

i'm tempted

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 pm

tekkentool wrote:Prog house?

i'm tempted
You mean BT? Yeah I suppose you could call it prog house, he's very. very good at what he does, a lot of the little sounds go unnoticed but listen a few times and you start hearing different bits here and there that he would've put a huge amount of effort making but are really quiet or short, just in the background to ad to the track.

Waiting for his new album - apparently he's including two pieces of software with the album disc that he made with a company he's started called Sonik Architects. The software is called "Break Tweaker" and "Stutter Edit" - very cool. 8-)

mute

Post by mute » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 pm

aeon wrote:
mute wrote:-realtime pitch/time shifting and insane improvements to resamplers compared to the previous decade
-new uses/repurposing of granular synthesis (also in realtime, unthinkable in prior years)
-new uses of FFT and Spectral DSP (also in realtime, unthinkable in prior years)
Realtime pitch-shifting, granular synthesis, and FFT with spectral DSP has been available since the 1980s via Eventide and Symbolic Sound Kyma.

cheers,
Ian
You missed the point by miles, but I'll pick your points apart of the just 3 outta whatever else i listened...

Kyma was not real time without the "vapourware dedicated hardware" that was the insanely expensive modular-card Crapybara. It was not a 'for the masses' product. As far as the rest of it's users were concerned (including myself) it was most certainly not realtime.... It was more or less a visual wannabe equal of other exisiting tech, like C-Sound.

What Eventide are you thinking of? The Harmonizers? That's formant resynthesis, but I'll go ahead and give you that one in a dedicated hardware point because it is still and was very impressive. :D

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:34 am

mute wrote:
aeon wrote:
mute wrote:-realtime pitch/time shifting and insane improvements to resamplers compared to the previous decade
-new uses/repurposing of granular synthesis (also in realtime, unthinkable in prior years)
-new uses of FFT and Spectral DSP (also in realtime, unthinkable in prior years)
Realtime pitch-shifting, granular synthesis, and FFT with spectral DSP has been available since the 1980s via Eventide and Symbolic Sound Kyma.
cheers,
Ian
Kyma was not real time without the "vapourware dedicated hardware" that was the insanely expensive modular-card Crapybara. It was not a 'for the masses' product. As far as the rest of it's users were concerned (including myself) it was most certainly not realtime.... It was more or less a visual wannabe equal of other exisiting tech, like C-Sound.
Mute, what are you talking about? as far as i know Kyma has always been realtime and it was when i bought mine 10 years ago. also, what do you mean by "vapourware dedicated hardware" ... vapourware essentially implies something advertised or proposed but nonexistant (kind of like the Linn/DSI drum machine right now).. Symbolic Sound never had "vapourware" and yes Kyma itself is just the editing software and you needed the Capybara320 DSP box to do anything, somewhat like the Nord Modular. Also, yes the system is expensive but to start out it isn't really any more expensive than most of these "best" synths being listed.

as for your comment about it and C-Sound, i've never bothered with it or SuperCollider and i've been meaning to pick up Reaktor for years (and now finally will since Komplete's price was cut)... but, i do have MAX/MSP, Metasynth and a Nord Modular and it isn't just that Kyma is capable of additive, TAU, aggregate, cross-filter, waveshaping, modulation, distortion, formant, granular, multiwave, and subtractive synthesis ... it is that you can combine them all in realtime and because of that and much more Kyma is still one of the greatest synthesis/sound design environment there is. I'm glad that after all of these years it is still around and i'd LOVE to have a system again (preferrably paired with a Continuum (and a 200e))
mute wrote:You missed the point by miles, but I'll pick your points apart...
:roll:

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:30 am

Odd answer here: I think that the Korg Z2 would have been the synth of the 2000's ....only if the guy behind the MOSS technology was still alive (apparently, he died unexpectedly and let no hope for future developments of this technology).

Future was very bright for Korg then. The Z1 is not a perfect machine but the Z2 could have been very impressive! Korg really downgraded in terms of quality with the MS2000/Electribe/KaossPad ..I mean, in my point of view.

mute

Post by mute » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:39 am

i thought i replied to this but i must have not hit submit before i closed the window. in short order, i'll eat some humble pie and agree with your points for those few things.

psionic11
Gear: -Fusion 8HD/6HD, Micron, X guitar, VFX-SD
-Ex5r, WSA1r, DD65, Performance Pad
-BCF, FCB, ExpressionMate, VF1, BC3
-(past) Juno 106, DW8000, Fantom Xa

Post by psionic11 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:29 pm

felis wrote:Pretty sure that everything mentioned in the last 2 posts was introduced before 2000.

Can't really think of any noteworthy new technique or feature that was introduced since 2000.
Aye, most of the features in that list were already introduced before 2000. Just thinking about my Fusion, though, what synths had these particular features pre-2000? I'm truly curious if any of the features listed below were implemented before 2000:

-- formant filters
-- 8 merge-able ENVs with variable slopes, routable to AMP/filter/any other mod source, each w/ custom tracking generator tables
-- 6 operator open-routable FM with filters (no pre-defined algorithms)

The FS1r had formant sequencing pre-2000, but that's not the same as simple formant filters. I don't know all the other FM-capable synths there were pre-2000, but which had open algorithms? Perhaps some of the Yamaha series?

As far as all the open possibilites that having an internal HD that can communicate with a computer presents, I'm wondering what other pre-2000 even had a hard drive, much less USB also.

-- multitrack audio/MIDI sequencing to internal HD
-- 200+ polyphony of multiple synth engine types

-- GB of patch (synth and rompler), and SONG storage (including audio tracks)
-- USB loading/storing of said patches and SONGs

The Fusion may be a poor man's Oasys, but I'm sure there are more post-2000 features implemented on other synths as well. New physical models, open DSP processing (Nord series?), hardware VST players, USB-MIDI surface controllers with templates and MIDI learn, etc.

Of course, none of this qualifies a synth as "the best", but just thought I'd give an honorable mention. I'm with Balma on the Alesis "Holy Trinity" on a budget -- Andromeda + Ion-Micron + Fusion. But I don't think the Fusion deserves the best synth of the 2000's when the Oasys has it beat in the same category.

The Oasys: an 88key piano action w/aftertouch controlling a layerable, multiple synth engine workstation with an extensive Mod Matrix, that has a HD for audio sequencing and virtually unlimited ROMpler expandability.

The Fusion: the same as above, but costing around $800. :geek: