Interesting digital filter sections

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Interesting digital filter sections

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:22 am

Lots of good suggestions so far.

I'll add a standalone digital filter: the Alesis Philtre

It's a bit noisy and not necessarily a proper substitute for the analog filters it's emulating, but it's got lots of filter types and and modulation options for the money (picked mine up for $35 a few months ago).

High Pass with S/H is tons of fun on a distorted guitar.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Primal Drive

Post by Primal Drive » Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:38 am

pricklyrobot wrote:Lots of good suggestions so far.

I'll add a standalone digital filter: the Alesis Philtre

It's a bit noisy and not necessarily a proper substitute for the analog filters it's emulating, but it's got lots of filter types and and modulation options for the money (picked mine up for $35 a few months ago).

High Pass with S/H is tons of fun on a distorted guitar.
I'd forgotten about this filter. When I first got it I'd use it all the time, even running analog gear through it (weird, but that's just me). It's been years since I've used it. I have to dust it off and apply it to something new now.

I'm a simple man with simple synths so don't expect much from my list. :wink:

Yamaha AN1x, AN200 - Excellent filters. My favorite is the 18dB lowpass which I find very musical (and dare I say "organic"?).

Korg MS2K - Yeah, I know these filters have been slagged alot, but I think they compliment the VCO's waveforms nicely. The way they decrease output level with an increase in resonance is also reminiscent of vintage analog filters which I like alot.

OB12 - They can go from very sweet to insanely nasty (in a good way).

Plugiator Minimax - I'd say that they came as close as 85% at emulating a Minimoog filter. It's not a model D, but it still sounds very close. Sadly, in my opinion, they totally missed the mark with the Pro 12 emulation of a Prophet 5. To my ears it's not even close to any P5 I've ever heard.

And to be more negative I have to say that the worst digital filter is the one in the SH-32. That's a shame, since I really like the sampled waveforms. Anything past half resonance sounds harsh and distorted in a very bad way. I've run the module through a MF 101 which helps, but obviously it's not the same as having a filter for each voice.

Thank you, won't we? 8)
And then she said, "What the f...?"

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:25 am

The XT has been mentioned a million times so I'll refrain, but I will throw in the Virus TI. The filter saturation curves allow you to get some ridiculous effects that you wouldnt be able to get on other synths. (The weirder filters on the XTk are kind of the same idea)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:15 am

loungedumore wrote:Alesis ION
16 filter types emulating classics like moog , Arp , JP8 , Obie , 303 etc.
Note I beleve theses are in the micron / miniak
The Ion is a Micron with knobs.

The Miniak is a Micron in a black case.

I hope that clears things up!

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:24 am

my favorite digital filters are

JD990 - you can pair two "tones" i.e. a osc-filt-amp layer, to go parallel or combine them to have two osc going into filter in series/parallel. both filters are multimode. one of the best sounding digital resonances ever. unlike so many other digitals where the transition from open to "muted" sound happens too sudden and with no sweet spots in btwn, JD990 filter truly can coax many different sounds out of the same source wave, just like a nice analog filter can. add myriad of modulation options.. and a phenomenal graphic UI that is just lightin fast to work with. i used the same filter in SP-700 and S-770.. just fantastic but you get to pick the source material, them being samplers.

Virus TI - the bfr mentioned saturation plus all the standard options.. it got character, and i happen to like it. it perfect complement to behaviour of analog filters. very musical. ditto for Nord Lead 2X - different character from Virus, more open, but very musical and smooth compared to many other VA filters out there. again, it got its own sound.

XT - very flexible. not a smooth or warm sound, but again for specific use i really dig its harshness/dryness, esp when in high resonance. just sounds like nothing else. little i heard of Blofeld, i liked it in bandpass mode.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

solitud
Gear: Ghosts and Ghouls

Post by solitud » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:31 am

Blofeld has nice ones. The Comb Filter is very unique. You can use two Filters at a time in parallel or serial mode, similar to the virus.
As said before the monomachine has a strange filter implementation, only two filters but super easy and effective to use. The Highpass on monomachine has resonance and is selfoscillating! Never heard that on other synths.
Well it`s not a synth, but I can not resist to mention the WORST digital filtering unit of all times, it`s the Yamaha TX16W Sampler!

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Post by drsynth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:28 am

I don't own one, but how about the Sherman Filterbank - anyone?
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

drsynth
Gear: Arrick 88 modular Blofeld MicroWaveXT MicroQ Matrix6 VirusTI Prophet8 Lead 2X DX7II TX816 Arp Axxe PAIA P4700J R3 Drumtraks FIZMO
Band: Kindred Lost

Post by drsynth » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:30 am

drsynth wrote:I don't own one, but how about the Sherman Filterbank - anyone?

Silly me, not digital right? :oops:
-I was a teenage synthaholic-

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:17 am

right, with a sledgehammer.

and iirc the Spectralis' filterbank is indeed digital; the analog filter's for the monosynth or external input only.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies