VST-to-MIDI layer in development - Opinions please!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vst2midi

VST-to-MIDI layer in development - Opinions please!

Post by vst2midi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi there,

I already posted this to KVR and from there I was directed to this forum, where more interested people could be. I really hope so :)

Currently I'm working on a VST-Plugin which can be used to communicate with external synthesizers and other devices the easy way. According to the concept of good olde eMagic SoundDiver, a predefined adaption for the synthesizer defines VST-Parameters which can control MIDI CC or do some Sysex.

I'm in a further stage of development. The whole thing is cross-plattform and with a very simple GUI in which you can select MIDI-IN, MIDI-OUT and the devices to control. Each device-adaption is defined in a XML-file so everyone can write an adaption on his own. I integrated LUA as scripting language which can be used to build the SYSEX streams, so also stuff like SYSEX-Checksums can be done easily. The whole thing should should fully customizable, but with the first release without a full-configuration-GUI (just because it's too complex).

Additionaly I will add features "sysex-dump" and "sysex-send" so the presets can be easily restored when you load your song again.

I also thought about a GUI for the Preset Library which dumps the performances/patches from the synthesizers automagically (as specified by the XML-file of the adaption).

My question now is (I know that most people are working with software synthesizers nowadays): Is someone willing to create adaptions for his synthesizers? I just have 4 synthesizers here at home, but there are so much more so I could need some help and also experience

Later the software should also be selled, but very very cheap :) I also thought about a free version but I'm still not sure.

There is still so much hardware out there, but it's so hard to work, control and automate them. Also if you want to load/save your own presets, so much stuff gets lost because you have to manage all those SYSEX-Dumps on your own (and probably also using MIDIOX heavily). My aim is to develop a transparent and easy-to-use layer between arranger and synthesizer, so you can use VST parameters/programs to control your synth.

If someone is interested, some feedback on this project would be nice. As I said, the base is working now and I started to write the adaptions for my synthesizers.

Have a nice day,
André

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: VST-to-MIDI layer in development - Opinions please!

Post by Syn303 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:48 pm

Hi, and for a start (your first post) should be in Software Synths section of the forum, this part of the forum is Hardware.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

vst2midi

Post by vst2midi » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:50 pm

But it's not a software-synthesizer. It's a software-based interface for hardware synthesizers....

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Looks like an interesting alternative to spending $500 for midiquest.

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:58 pm

That looks rather interesting!

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorgRolandRadikalTechnologiesMOOG

Post by aredj » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:42 pm

I think I'd be willing to work adaptations (and love the idea of community enhanced projects) - except I'm not sure what that entails...
I have synths. I have an average working knowledge of midi - but I'm no programmer...

What exactly do you need to move this project along?

vst2midi

Post by vst2midi » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:05 pm

In november I'll finish the base. That means adaptions can define parameters (VST->MIDI CC), SYSEX Library access (for preset dump/save) and also parts of GUI customization. So you can create action buttons in the GUI from the adaption file like 'Receive Library'. This button will call a script in your Adaption-XML file where you handle all SYSEX stuff to fill the librarian with the presets/patches/performances from the synth.

After that I need write a documentation how to write adaptions and a overview about the scripting language. I will also finish the Roland JV-1010 & Novation Supernova, because I got them here at home and they should serve as example for writing own adaptions.

The main tasks for the first alpha version are:
- Availability of all MIDI-CC-controllable parameters as VST-Parameters (mostly finished)
- Librarian, so patches/performances can be loaded from the synthesizer into VST2MIDI - and also select a program (mostly finished)
- Dump and restore of the current program *in the song itself* - this means when you load the song again VST2MIDI restores all the synthesizer settings on its own (in progress)
- Full cross-platform and host support, I need some testers of Ableton, Cubase 4 and Logic for MAC - generally some MAC-testers would be nice, because I only got Windows

After that I'll setup a webpage with some community-stuff. Wiki, forum etc.

For the future I plan:
- GUI customization from the adaptions, means you WON'T get an editor to create GUIs, but you can use the adaption-XML-file to create a GUI
- Much work and also the last big step: Drag & Drop Editor to create own GUIs to control the synthesizer

Oh, and if you get own ideas, PLEASE post them here. Due to my missing in-depth experience with working with hardware-synth I possibly miss some points! And thanks for your offer to help :-)

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:42 pm

"Full cross platform.... support". Does that mean Linux too?
Stephen(2)

vst2midi

Post by vst2midi » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:46 pm

Yes, I implemented everything using RtMidi (which supports Windows, MAC + all UNIX derivates), SDL and LUA. Also the VST implementation is abstract and can be easily expanded by e.g. LADSPA.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:51 pm

AN-1x adaptation... ESQ adaptation (though, it would be an ESQm)... etcetc

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:37 am

aredj wrote:I have synths. I have an average working knowledge of midi - but I'm no programmer...
Same here, except that my MIDI knowlege is fairly good. I'd be happy to help out where I can... I run XP btw.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:49 pm

I'd love to help if I can. I run XP x64.

mao
Gear: Andromeda - Voyager RME - VSynth XT - MonoEvolverKeyboard - NordRack2X - EX-8000 - Waldorf Microwave - Machinedrum - Monomachine

Post by mao » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:16 am

Interesting and useful project.

There is only one BIG problem: adaptions. There are very few of us able to do that... so trying to sell your sw without adaptions will be quite difficult. I mean I don't think I want to buy a sw that "does nothing" hoping someone will write adaption for owned synth...

That's why Midiquest have tons of adaptions in their download area.

If the thing comes free well there is hope that who can do the job will share in your website the xml.

The solution: Create a 30 day trial. Create a list of available adaption. If someone create a working adaption for an "unlisted" synth give him a license for free.

loungedumore
Gear: iMac | iPad 2| iPad Air
Beatstep Pro | Mpx8
Volca bass, Keys ,beats
Monotribe | MS20 | SQ1
Minibrute | Midi4+
Graphite 49 | EIE
Band: Death By Media

Post by loungedumore » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:41 pm

Where can we find this when it's available .
I would love to test tit with my DSI synths !
Some wish to leave their mark ... I want to leave a scar .
http://soundcloud.com/death-by-media

0e0
Gear: Roland MKS-50, Juno-106, JV-1080
Yamaha A4000, SU700, S80 (w/PLG150-VL), SY 77, SY 22
Oberheim Matrix-1000
Kawai K3m, K4
Zoom ST-224
Band: 0=0

Post by 0e0 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:34 am

I think a really key feature would be to support all those synths that utilize fancy optional programmers (ahem roland).

i'm willing to help test with and make content for my midi gear.

j

0=0