Evolve or stick to it

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Evolve or stick to it

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:13 am

Shreddie wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:I saw Gary Numan last year and it was shocking. He sounded like a bad NIN cover band, except covering his own songs. I totally understand the need for an artist to evolve over time, but nobody went to that show to hear his new stuff. Evolve yes, but evolve to be better, not worse. (Yes I know better is subjective.)
The 'Replicas' tour yeah?

I saw that last year, I thought It was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.
That would be the subjective I was talking about.

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:38 am

Esus wrote:I saw Howard Jones in '86 (mime & all), the drummer had a set of Simmons pads, HJ had a mountain of synths, and it was a great show.
Fast forward to about 10 years ago, and I see him again--only this time, it's just him (with a much different look) playing a single controller, and a guy with an acoustic 12-string. Same tunes, but with a very different vibe.
The two shows couldn't have been more different, but they were both enjoyable.
I think good artists evolve, and if the music stands on its own, it can evolve as well--but it's obviously a calculated risk.
How do you like him now? With his Fantom and triggered playback ?

:?

Esus

Post by Esus » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:09 am

D-Collector wrote:How do you like him now? With his Fantom and triggered playback ?
#-o
That's the "calculated risk" I was mentioning. He could either be in danger of becoming his own tribute band, or it could be the best show ever--only the concert itself will tell.