Kurzweil Synth as efx processor?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
liquidzen

Kurzweil Synth as efx processor?

Post by liquidzen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:10 pm

Might anyone know if a kurzweil (k2000/2500/2600) can be used as a real time efx processor? i'd like to route signal from my synths into it real time and effect it with the internal processor. thanks.
SCI Prophet 5, Roland SH5, MEMORYMOOG, Yammy CS30, OB Matrix1000 x 2, Korg MS10 x 2, Studio Elec SE1x, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland SYS 100M, LZX Monolith, Roland JUNO 6, SEQUENTIAL SIX TRAK

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Re: Kurzweil Synth as efx processor?

Post by Solderman » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:19 pm

I can only speak for the K2000, which I'm certain will not. If the 2500/2600 doesn't possess this capability, you might consider getting a Rumour or Mangler which would be identical to what you are describing. I have the rumour, and quite like it. Sounds great, is easy to edit and is more versatile than it first appears.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Otoroko Heavy Industries
Band: Wolf424/The Republic of Desire

Post by Otoroko Heavy Industries » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:51 pm

Solderman wrote:I can only speak for the K2000, which I'm certain will not.
Waht? Yes it will.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:06 pm

Mine doesn't anyway. Must be something you get with the sampling option. I've never really liked the Digitech 256 chip in the K2000 anyway. Rather flat and muddy.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

liquidzen

Post by liquidzen » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:29 pm

i just found out that the k2600/k2661 have the same engine as the KSP8 mammoth processor, and there is indeed a LIVE mode... yummy! I just found one used with sampling option and other goodies for less than half the price of a KSP8... it was a no brainer.
SCI Prophet 5, Roland SH5, MEMORYMOOG, Yammy CS30, OB Matrix1000 x 2, Korg MS10 x 2, Studio Elec SE1x, Roland Jupiter 6, Roland SYS 100M, LZX Monolith, Roland JUNO 6, SEQUENTIAL SIX TRAK

Otoroko Heavy Industries
Band: Wolf424/The Republic of Desire

Post by Otoroko Heavy Industries » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:43 pm

Solderman wrote:Mine doesn't anyway. Must be something you get with the sampling option. I've never really liked the Digitech 256 chip in the K2000 anyway. Rather flat and muddy.
You can feed audio in trough the other (B?) output stereo pair, and trough the effects section, doesn't require sampling option. I don't have a tutorial for it on hand, but it is doable.
edit. Found it:
Subject: Routing Ext Sig to FX

If you wanted to route an external audio signal into the effects processor in the K2000, you have to use an insert cable (or cables) plugged into the A separate outs.

An insert cable is a has two mono jacks Yd to a single stereo jack. One cable is the send and the oyther the return. You would plug the output of your external source into the return side of the cable and plug the stereo jack into the A seperate out. The signal would then go through the effects processor and come out of the mix outs.

The problem with this method is that by plugging a cable into the jack, you are removing the K2000 signal routed to that jack (it is being sent out of the send side of the insert cable. If you wanted, you could pan all K2000 signals to one side (for example A Left) and then use A right for the external signal. Then in the Mix outs you would have the dry portion of the signal coming out of its respective side, while the wet portion of both K2000 and external signal comes out equally on both MIX outs.

If you want to process an external signal AND use both left and right sides for the K2000 signal, you need an external Mixer. You would plug the two (L&R) sends from the insert cables into two channels on the Mixing board, put your external signal into another channel, then use a submix to send the returns back into the K2000.

aeon

Post by aeon » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:16 pm

liquidzen wrote:i just found out that the k2600/k2661 have the same engine as the KSP8 mammoth processor, and there is indeed a LIVE mode... yummy! I just found one used with sampling option and other goodies for less than half the price of a KSP8... it was a no brainer.
KDFX in a K2600/K2661 has most of the same algorithms as a KSP8, but much less total DSP, and far less routing options.

cheers,
Ian