mono or poly evolver?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

mono or poly evolver?

Post by michael stein » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:30 pm

OK....I am very interested in this synth........again.......but do not know if i need the full polyphonic version. My polyphinic synths include, sixtrak (not really much for a polysynth), poly800 (again hardly qualified polysynth), DX7 (wonderful 80s digital synth), SQ80 (a hybrid both warm and icey) and I dont have a really great analog polysynth, and as far as crazy monosynths i have a pretty decent sized modular, with that said i really dont need this synth at all but WTF 90% of us here are gear addicts so you understand. All suggestions welcome....
Thanks,
michael

stikygum

Re: mono or poly evolver?

Post by stikygum » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:01 am

I bought a desktop when they came out. I liked it for making quick and incredibly tweakable and evolving sequences. But I found out when I bought the MEK that I need this in keyboard format. Then I had to buy the PEK becuase I felt that the sound of the MEK would be so much cooler in a PEK. I love polys though and like to play chords instead of licks. Plus you can stack if you want. You can't go wrong with either. If you can pull a PEK, I don't see why not to get it.
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:02 am

Yes, I understand your point of view. The main factor then for me, might have to be size. I dont know where i would put it, altho i do have a Farfisa organ I hardly ever use that i could sell. and open up some space. My setup has become so midi/cv sequence integrated that i find my self using non midi/cv synths alot less except for my univox string machine that even tho it has a terrible hummm...nothing else sounds alike.
Thanks

Trom69

Post by Trom69 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:17 pm

There's a new "potentiometer edition" PEK comming out:
http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/new ... .php#pepek
Cracking softsynths for virtual circuit-bending

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:29 pm

Get a mono or a mono + Tetra. You could add a polyrack later if you feel the need, and can find one.

CapnMarvel

Post by CapnMarvel » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:30 pm

masstronaut wrote:Get a mono or a mono + Tetra. You could add a polyrack later if you feel the need, and can find one.
I agree with this. I'd diversify a little before committing too much to one synth. Be sure the Evolver sound is exactly what you're looking for before laying down the cash for the Poly. The MEK does what I want that particular sound type to do, and to me the Poly is overkill (maybe just sour grapes 'cos I won't ever be able to afford one).
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:27 pm

MEK+PER seems ideal if you want a PEK but is short on space. Although I think the PER has been discontinued?